Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2020, 09:41 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,871,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I think I need to buy one of those sun lamps for seasonal depression. I am struggling today. It seems worse working from home--my office must have more windows or brighter fluorescent lighting or something.
I’m getting one. I’ve been shopping for them online, and a lot of them are sold out. It’s no wonder.
I can’t tell if my exhaustion is mental or physical anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I strongly recommend "overlighting" your workplace during your working/waking hours.

I find that LED bulbs that indicate a color temperature of 3000K to 3200K seem to impart the best vibe in a room used for work.

Then, in the evening, I use regular good ole incandescent lights.
Good idea.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:43 AM

20,398 posts, read 14,683,356 times
LOL omg lighting... My husband is a photographer (hobbyist mostly) and he is very particular about lights. We have overhead fixtures in this place, but he hates them! I'm like...ohhhkayy... So we've got lamps everywhere. Well, I like LED fairy lights, too, and I have those up in my bedroom and the living room. He likes regular string lights and has those in HIS bedroom. The only big issue I have with light preference isn't so much the fixture as the temperature of the light and being able to get the level of brightness I want in a given situation. I hate cold white light. Feels like I'm in Walmart, ugh. Hate it. I like warm, almost amber lighting, so I've done my best to stick to that. But sometimes I forget what it's technically called and accidentally get the wrong bulbs.

By far one of the happiest discoveries I ever made were remote controlled outlet switches. I don't want much IOT action and no "I'm always listening" smart home stuff (my cell phone is bad enough) but I get a big kick out of having a multi button remote that controls 4 or 5 outlets so I can choose which lamps or light strings to switch on and off.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:46 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,025,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
I’m getting one. I’ve been shopping for them online, and a lot of them are sold out. It’s no wonder.
Not sure how these sun lamps are being describing online, but you can pretty much 'make' one (without any heat generation...I don't know if sun lamps are supposed to generate some localized warmth) by replacing bulbs in an existing fixture with bulbs of a different temperature.

There are definitely more subtle aspects to this (like CRI), but basically there is a color temperature associated with all bulbs, which ranges from around 2700K to 5600+.

In broad terms, the higher the number, the whiter the light will appear. Higher numbered bulbs are often called 'daylight' or 'cool' because they emit light reminiscent of bright sun on a blue sky day. Lower numbers (sometimes described as 'indoor' or 'tungsten' or warm') are more amber/orange.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Not sure how these sun lamps are being describing online, but you can pretty much 'make' one (without any heat generation...I don't know if sun lamps are supposed to generate some localized warmth) by replacing bulbs in an existing fixture with bulbs of a different temperature.

There are definitely more subtle aspects to this (like CRI), but basically there is a color temperature associated with all bulbs, which ranges from around 2700K to 5600+.

In broad terms, the higher the number, the whiter the light will appear. Higher numbered bulbs are often called 'daylight' or 'cool' because they emit light reminiscent of bright sun on a blue sky day. Lower numbers (sometimes described as 'indoor' or 'tungsten' or warm') are more amber/orange.
I have all cool lighting. Maybe I’ll try turning it on more often!

Old 12-14-2020, 09:57 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,025,639 times
Quote:
I have all cool lighting. Maybe I’ll try turning it on more often!

Just know that those descriptive terms can be a little imprecise. The Temp # is the accurate factor. I've seen bulbs as 'warm' as 3000K be listed as 'cool.' I do like 3000K-ish lights but I wouldn't describe them as cool per se.

Also it can go the other way, though I rarely see it. A 5600K light sure is cool...but I'd more accurately describe it as operating room sterile.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:08 AM

29,750 posts, read 34,415,700 times
Quote:
In the meantime I've taken to turning on the cheap ring light I bought for zoom calls, even when I'm not on a zoom call. At this point it can't hurt to shine a light on my face.

Old 12-14-2020, 12:50 PM

52,305 posts, read 52,734,263 times
We have a bedroom setup as a home office and it's got a pretty big window. We have a northern exposure so we don't get direct sunlight in the office, it's still better than nothing though. we're up on the second level and can look out and watch people walking their dogs and general coming and goings.

I got to the market just about every day, kind of dumb, should just go once a week like most people do, but I find it gets me out of the house and I can get a bit of sunshine, when it's out of course.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:12 PM

2,227 posts, read 1,406,083 times
I get a great view if its sunny:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NXoEAHzxvRrZncKw6
But sun is a rare sight in the winter. In summer, it’s much more appealing though, and I see many animals come by. I also get really nice views when heavy fog forms on cooler nights with PNW flow and the next morning it’s only 60 F and looks like Astoria, Oregon :
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hb3vKY6kpM3rUUXv5

Last edited by FrozenI69; 12-14-2020 at 08:33 PM..

Old 12-15-2020, 07:24 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,350,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
I get a great view if its sunny:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NXoEAHzxvRrZncKw6
But sun is a rare sight in the winter. In summer, it’s much more appealing though, and I see many animals come by. I also get really nice views when heavy fog forms on cooler nights with PNW flow and the next morning it’s only 60 F and looks like Astoria, Oregon :
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Hb3vKY6kpM3rUUXv5
The snowy scene is gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships