Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 02:45 PM

52,254 posts, read 52,668,250 times

Advertisements

We live about 1.5 miles from the beach. It's nice here most of the time. The ocean acts as a regulator on both sides of the temp range. In the summer it helps keep things cooler and in the winter it helps with not getting as cold. You go to the desert in the middle of the winter and you'll freeze your ass off. LOL.

You go inland to Riverside and San Berdo and it's literally no different than Phoenix, maybe a touch cooler, but not much. Palm Springs too, it's hotter than hell in the summer time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 02:56 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Phoenix is up there for one of the fugliest cities I've visited. It's like, all highways and concrete and asphalt. It's like hey, we have this city here in one of the hottest places in the country that's only marginally habitable... lets try to make it less comfortable!

Old 12-21-2020, 02:57 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
About the only thing I'm looking forward to about being in Arizona, is that there will be more interesting stuff to drive to and explore, that I've not seen. Nearby mountains and forests, and it's a pretty easy little road trip to southern CA, so maybe I'll get a chance to wander around there on vacation at some point. I really enjoy road trips. I also want to see the Grand Canyon, I have not been there.

Oh, and there's that one French restaurant, I really hope they survive the pandemic. I need their chocolate tarts in my life.

Still, I intend to return to Colorado Springs eventually. So I won't be buying a home there, I'll rent and wait until we can come back.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:01 PM

Oh the outdoors stuff is swell. I did a quick trip through the parks years ago, Sequoia, Petrified (nearly froze in the high desert camping though, oops), Grand Canyon... and the slot canyons near Page. All lovely.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:01 PM

20,390 posts, read 14,656,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Phoenix is up there for one of the fugliest cities I've visited. It's like, all highways and concrete and asphalt. It's like hey, we have this city here in one of the hottest places in the country that's only marginally habitable... lets try to make it less comfortable!
I felt almost assaulted by the sheer beigeness of the place. It rivals eastern Kansas for being painfully boring to the eyeballs. But where I did see greenery, I got kinda mad about it. I mean, lawns and golf courses in the desert? Tellin' me you got nothin' better to do with all that water?

This, though...this is why I wonder what the heck is up with rent being higher there than it is here. I can't fathom anybody wanting to live in Phoenix, over Colorado Springs. Makes no damn sense at all to me. I would not be moving there, if it were not for family obligations.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:06 PM

Well I would think Phoenix gets better art. It's a bigger city, almost all international and national bands would play there. International art touring exhibits. etc. That would be a draw for me over CC. Kind of like how Boston gets acts Providence (where I live now) doesn't, so I'm always having to go to Boston. And when I lived in Boston I often had to go to New York as loads of bands would play there, but not Boston (too small).

And yeah, golf courses in the desert is insane. I don't like em anywhere, only slightly better than pavement with all the pesticides and herbicides dumped on them. But in a desert? Right up there with cotton farming (super water intensive) in AZ. Makes no sense.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:12 PM

The Phoenix metro area is boring when viewed from the freeways. It's got a lot of nature & wildlife and some really beautiful scenery, especially the sunsets.

The deserts appear to be deceptively barren, if that makes any sense.

Some people really dig the forest, but I ain't one of them. I feel closed in on with too many trees around me. We drive from Portland several year ago to eastern WA and traveled through lots of forest. Just wasn't my thing but that's ok, everyone can't see the world the same way and that is fine.

That is one of the things that I like about deserts, you can see for miles and miles

Old 12-21-2020, 03:29 PM

Oh, deserts are super cool. I love herps, so, a place for me to go for sure.

I love forests too though.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:30 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,961,718 times
Today was the first day of winter here. Although it’s been gloomy, rainy and windy since November, today was the official 1st day of winter. The forecast for the next 10 days.... cloudy with a good chance of rain. It’s dark by 5:00 pm and sun rise 8:00 am. It’s “cool” here for about 6 months out of the year. In the summer we rarely go over 90 degrees.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Today was the first day of winter here. Although it’s been gloomy, rainy and windy since November, today was the official 1st day of winter. The forecast for the next 10 days.... cloudy with a good chance of rain. It’s dark by 5:00 pm and sun rise 8:00 am. It’s “cool” here for about 6 months out of the year. In the summer we rarely go over 90 degrees.
Its kind of odd, the first day of winter and it got up to 81 degrees today. Was nice. I like these little bouts we get of the Santa Ana winds that kick up and warm things up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships