Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:19 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,524,740 times

Advertisements

I'm a Liberal and this is what I want:

- And immediate end to all wars. Remove all Americans troops from all countries, not just the ones we are at war with.

- Free healthcare for ALL Americans. Make the risky speculators pay a Tobin tax on all of their gambling to pay for our health care.

- Repeal the Patriot Act.

- Put an end to the ever evolving police and surveillance state.

- A robust and broad investigation of all of the events on 9/11.

- Allow all Americans to get married.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 07:20 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,430,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Republicans donate more to charity than democrats. The highest %, not total dollar amount, is made by the poor in the south. This is partly due to lower incomes, therefore a smaller dollar amount will be a higher percentage.
When you find a study that excludes donations for the support, maintenance and proselytizing activities of the donors' church/religious organizations, we can talk about this. Those activities are the dominant "charities" for many of the people you refer to. Those donations serve no one but the donors and their church. It's the equivalent of getting a tax donation for your gym membership at the local YMCA.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I can manage my money fine. That is why I am wealthy and you are poor.
Some of us are poor because we weren't born with silver spoons in our mouths.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:27 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,340,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
I'm a Liberal and this is what I want:

- And immediate end to all wars. Remove all Americans troops from all countries, not just the ones we are at war with.

- Free healthcare for ALL Americans. Make the risky speculators pay a Tobin tax on all of their gambling to pay for our health care.

- Repeal the Patriot Act.

- Put an end to the ever evolving police and surveillance state.

- A robust and broad investigation of all of the events on 9/11.

- Allow all Americans to get married.
I like your list.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
When you find a study that excludes donations for the support, maintenance and proselytizing activities of the donors' church/religious organizations, we can talk about this. Those activities are the dominant "charities" for many of the people you refer to. Those donations serve no one but the donors and their church. It's the equivalent of getting a tax donation for your gym membership at the local YMCA.
You are not supposed to claim a tax deduction for something you receive benefit from, e.g. a YMCA membership that gives you the use of their facilities.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:36 PM

30,100 posts, read 18,707,813 times
Quote:
So the donations that I give to the Catholic church that are earmarked for scholarships at the high school and the orphanage in Columbia do nothing for anyone? I am sure that the kids on scholarship and those in Columbia would beg to differ. I make a difference. Liberals whine. I also give to the United Way and am a member of the DeTouqeville Society. In our state, I don't see many dems on that list. I am sure they are whining somewhere and so they are doing thier part. They probably feel good about the money that I give.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You are not supposed to claim a tax deduction for something you receive benefit from, e.g. a YMCA membership that gives you the use of their facilities.
And that's exactly what a donation to your church does.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
So the donations that I give to the Catholic church that are earmarked for scholarships at the high school and the orphanage in Columbia do nothing for anyone? I am sure that the kids on scholarship and those in Columbia would beg to differ.
Reading comprehension issues? I didn't say anything about good deeds done by religious organizations, only about support and maintenance of the church and proselytizing.

Besides that, I wasn't talking about you. I specifically quoted your Republican v Democrat comment.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,340,608 times
Quote:
And that's exactly what a donation to your church does.
Yeah! A Lutheran pastor once told me that churches are hospitals for the spiritually ill.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:41 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,333,004 times
Control of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies