Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 06:36 PM

15,153 posts, read 11,716,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Then what do the police represent?

Because Police shot the chimp perhaps?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:37 PM

8,078 posts, read 9,299,611 times
Quote:
Woman's life in danger after chimp attack - CNN.com

The police were forced to kill the monkey the other day when it attacked a woman in CT.

The cartoon used the local newstory and somehow morphed it into an attack on Congress. Still don't see the humor in it.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,660,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Please explain what's funny. Really. I just don't get the joke. Obama did not write the bill. The NY Post says it does not refer to Obama, so who does it refer to?

What's the joke?

The joke is that congress is a bunch of monkeys, or that monkeys could do their job.
Those silly monkeys are only good at spending money they don't have. Silly monkeys.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:40 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,851,298 times
It's amusing thinking back to all the Bush and chimp references. . . of course we didn't see the liberal outcry then.

But I do find myself agreeing with Al. . . it was in poor taste.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:44 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,338,877 times
Quote:
Kooter, would you care to explain the exact symbolicism of each part of the cartoon?
I think the chimp portrays Congress (who definitely wrote the stmulus bill) based on what the police officer in the cartoon said; "They'll have to find someone else to write the next stimulus bill."

I think the cartoon suggests that a chimp could have done a better job of writing the simulus bill compared to Congress.

The police officer was used to deliver the message.

The shooting of the chimp was a takeoff of the recent event that happened in CT with Travis (the chimp) being shot to death by the police.

The ONLY link to Barack Obama is what the mainstream media is making out of it, which is making people like you go ape! The stupid racist haters think it means something it does not...

You gotta love it!

Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,753,874 times
Quote:
Don't be so quick to judge... the cop on the right seems to have some of his puffy afro exposed on the rear of his head. If you asked me I would say that he is a lighter skinned black man, that would certainly turn the tides on the situation.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:49 PM

26,210 posts, read 19,673,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
The line I'm hearing from people justifying the cartoon's "humor" is that the stimulus plan is so bad that a monkey must have written it. It was published the day after a monkey attacked and seriously injured a lady in Connecticut, a story that was publicized in the Post.

If it takes that long to tell the "joke", then it wasn't funny enough to be published. Despite Rev Sharpton's protesting, I don't think it was comparing President Obama to a monkey. The monkey was supposedly representing the writer of the stimulus plan as the caption says, which would be Congress.

Al's just happy to get some face time on TV. He's been a missing person since Obama was elected.
Another tried and true tactic of the GOP is smear the messenger/blame the victim. Al Sharpton getting dragged into it for something that disgusts thinking people of all colors oft times reveals latent racism in those disparaging Sharpton. He then becomes the focus of hatred and racism as an outspoken critic who rallies people in outrage

For Obama being compared to a chimp, and one that was shot dead, is not humor. It was never intended to be funny, either.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:51 PM

904 posts, read 691,394 times
The Chimp could drive, so maybe it could sign a bill?
How does this relate to the authors of the bill?

Old 02-18-2009, 06:51 PM

2,667 posts, read 6,819,596 times
Still, no one has said what the police shooting of the monkey "or congress" (for the sake of argument) metaphorically represents.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:52 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,338,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Don't be so quick to judge... the cop on the right seems to have some of his puffy afro exposed on the rear of his head. If you asked me I would say that he is a lighter skinned black man, that would certainly turn the tides on the situation.
Hahahaha! Oh Lordy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies