Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 09:36 PM

952 posts, read 3,714,232 times

Advertisements

(whispering)omg.... you can't make fun of obama because if you do you are a racist..you didn't know that....Shhhhhh

Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,210,615 times
The vehicle behind the first officers head appears to be SUV-like, presidential limo perhaps? The only legible letters on the beware of dog sign are WAR Dog- he just called for 17,000 more troops. This kind of crap is something you would find in a Hustler magazine, it's inappropiate.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 PM

[quote=malamute;7527427]I think all of you who see a chimp depicted and jump to the conclusion someone is making fun of black humans are actually the racists. Why do you think blacks look any more like monkeys than whites? That's your own problem I think.

Thank you! I would love to see someone answer that one?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:55 PM

18,206 posts, read 25,480,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think all of you who see a chimp depicted and jump to the conclusion someone is making fun of black humans are actually the racists. Why do you think blacks look any more like monkeys than whites? That's your own problem I think.
People think that because of the millions of pictures from previous decades that depicted black people as monkeys.

I don't know who the monkey represent,
but what the cop says clearly shows that the monkey is a democrat
and I strongly believe that the monkey represent Obama supporters = supporters of the bill

Old 02-18-2009, 09:58 PM

773 posts, read 1,219,031 times
Within the cartoon industry in the 40's , cartoons such as Betty Boop portrayed black people with distinctly monkey like features.
YouTube - Banned Cartoon-Betty Boop
My reaction was to laugh like I did to the Mohammed cartoon in the national enquirer like tabloid Jyllans-posten, but my laughter was more like 'I can't believe they posted that it in this day of political correctness.
To be honest, it would be hard for Obama not to be offended, if he even gives a hoot; given the nature of comical portrayal of black America in early century cartoons which did have a hint of racism on occasion.
I think it could have been funny if the rampaging chimp had occured during the Reagan years, the caption could have read 'bedtime for bonzo'.

P.S my favourite Betty Boop cartoon controversy was her huffing the drug nitrous oxide in this episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Tb4...eature=related

Old 02-18-2009, 09:59 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,329,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
its logical because black people are called and have been called monkeys by [SOME] WHITES throughout history in the US. thats the difference.

call a white guy/gal a monkey it has no connations to it historically, its like cooking on a non stick pot/pan it doesnt stick

History of what? Is there any truth that black people are monkeys? If so, how? If not, then why would a black person be anymore offended by being called a monkey than a white person being called a monkey?

Old 02-18-2009, 09:59 PM

171 posts, read 328,401 times
Default Rupert Murdoch, Owner of New York Post Cartoon

Rupert Murdoch is owner of the New York Post. He also has:

Fox interactive AMERICAN IDOL

How much moola does he get for each time someone votes on that show?

He's got interest also in the following, which I'm sure you can Google and research for yourself:

News Corporation (News Corp)
CBS NEWs
FOX TV
Fox Sports
National Geographic Channel
MYSpace

Cartoon artist: Sean Delonas
Editor-in-Chief of New York Post: Col Allan

Murdoch is trying to get ahold of Direct TV also, so we will probably be seeing lots more of this distructive cartoon idiot stuff. Back to the 1950's we go, I guess. So much for Progressive America!

I'm wondering when people will spend time researching facts.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:11 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,311,102 times
[quote=redwine;7527574]
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think all of you who see a chimp depicted and jump to the conclusion someone is making fun of black humans are actually the racists. Why do you think blacks look any more like monkeys than whites? That's your own problem I think.

Thank you! I would love to see someone answer that one?
If either of you bothered reading the entire thread, you wouldn't have to ask such an elementary question.

The equation of black Americans with apes goes back a long, long way in political and social discourse in this nation. The posters who rightly see this cartoon as racist are aware of that association.

It would be interesting to know whether those posters who are screaming that this cartoon is "not racist" also line up on the Obama-bashing side of posts in this forum.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:38 PM

[quote=MovingForward;7527962]
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post

If either of you bothered reading the entire thread, you wouldn't have to ask such an elementary question.

The equation of black Americans with apes goes back a long, long way in political and social discourse in this nation. The posters who rightly see this cartoon as racist are aware of that association.

It would be interesting to know whether those posters who are screaming that this cartoon is "not racist" also line up on the Obama-bashing side of posts in this forum.

I tell you what. As a white person we are walking on egg shells in this country. We can't criticize, joke or anything at all about a black person. It is always about race and it always will be. As long as their are people out their analyzing EVERYTHING it will never ever go away. And who is to blame for that?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:45 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,452,654 times
I think that all this cartoon displays is bad judgment on the part of the cartoonist. I don't believe the cartoon was racist in intent, but there are things you want to keep in mind...

I think the cartoonist was probably unwitting and the editorial staff was under-attentive on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies