Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2008, 04:53 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Promote the general welfare is nothing like the obligation to PROVIDE for defense and GENERAL welfare..
READ what I wrote!!!!!!!!!

The Preamble says promote, Article I says provide for the general welfare.

YOU've tried to make the case the Constitution makes war the job of government, BULL! It gives Congress the power to declare war, in the same way it gives Congress the power to provide for the general welfare.

See how that works?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,783 posts, read 3,741,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even if you send someone to Mexico, they're still in the world
Yeah if you think Mexico is a real part of the world. In reality it is just a buffer zone for the real world. It would not exist if anyone wanted it. LOL
You do have me on a technicality though. haha

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Wow, did you fail to read what is bolded?
Sure did read it, it does not change the fact that even with the lack of health insurance, people are not denied medical care.

Think, if they were denied medical care, why are they filing bankruptcy, after all, according to those on the left, they are not being taken care of..

Again, its the LACK OF WORK causing the bankruptcies, not the lack of insurance.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
YOU've tried to make the case the Constitution makes war the job of government, BULL! It gives Congress the power to declare war, in the same way it gives Congress the power to provide for the general welfare.
Oh for gods sake, I feel like I'm arguing with stupid.

It gives Congress the power to declare war, the same way it gives Congress the power to PROMOTE, it does not say PROVIDE for the general welfare..

Old 11-08-2008, 04:58 PM

245 posts, read 697,705 times
Quote:
And furthermore, what of the uninsurable at any price tag? You are aware, I presume, that the uninsured pay more for medical services than those who are insured, and I am referring to the fact that, when insured and due to contracted providers, the charges for the same medical services cost more for the uninsured.
I disagree about the uninsured paying more. Actually they pay less. Hospitals know if they charge the uninsured the same as what an insurance company would pay for the same services, they would never see a penny.

I saw this first hand when my son was born in 1990 and I didn't have insurance. The bill came to $5000 but I was told they would have charged $12,000 to an insurance company. I didn't have $5000 to pay it and paid $20 per month for about a year. The billing dept called me several times saying I needed to pay more and I said it's all I can afford, they said OK then. Once I found a better job I paid it off faster.

My step-son was involved in a huge accident, broken pelvis and vertabrae. Air lifted to a trauma center, spent 5 days in the hospital, had surgery. You guessed it, no insurance. Yet they treated him no different than someone with insurance. He got really lucky since a charity came to his aid and paid his bill. That was money many people GAVE of their own free will, not money confiscated.

I ask you all here, how many have had to deal with government in the past? Are these the kind of people you want handling your healthcare? Have they invested your SS money to your liking? Have they been responsible with our tax dollars? What makes any of you believe this govenment could handle national healthcare?

Personally I'm impressed that Congress finally learn how to balance their checkbooks.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:00 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,299,216 times
Quote:
I think I am done being friends with someone where I live based on this issue alone. The night of the election this republican person I know said "why should everyone have health care if they don't work for it?"

This boggles my mind - the mean spiritedness of it all. I mean, how about we end the wars, stop spreading death and destruction, and use that money to take care of each other in this country?

Anyway, I just don't have time for someone with this thinking in my life. My mother is the same way. However, she is 87 and doesn't seem to get that tax dollars are paying for her health care, yet she begrudges others from having it. I can't very well toss her out of my life, but I abhor her thinking.

What is wrong with these people?
Is there supposed to be a relationship here?

I'd love to see an end to wars too. Unfortunately there are people that seem to want to attack us.

Until we eliminate all our enemies, and those of our alllies (which are ours too), I'm afraid there will be wars.

As long as someone wants to take our freedom, there will be wars.

Freedom is worth fighting for, wouldn't you say?

Or would you rather live under someone likd Saddam H. Obama...Oooops, sorry ... That One.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:01 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,363,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Find me ONE individual who has lost their home due to medical bills, and I might believe you, but I have never heard of a hospital suing and foreclosing on an individuals home and assets to pay a bill.

WHERE did losing homes become an issue? I said personal bankruptcies, AFAIK there are a number of states where one is allowed to retain ownership of one's primary residence even after a bankruptcy filing.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybones View Post
I disagree about the uninsured paying more. Actually they pay less. Hospitals know if they charge the uninsured the same as what an insurance company would pay for the same services, they would never see a penny.
Actually the uninsured do pay more, which is pretty much the problem.

An insurance company will receive a bill for $12,000 but they pay a UCR rate, which is regulated by the federal government Some insurance companies will pay at a percentile (not percentage) of the UCR rate, and the hospitals pretty much accept what is paid. An individual that is uninsured does not have the ability to pay at the discounted rate. On a $12,000 bill, an insurance company might pay $1,200, depending on what percedures are being performed..

The insurance company can use leverage of, "you take whatever I pay", against the hospitals, or the insurance companies will send their patients to another hospital. A private individual does not have the ability.

The first step in solving the health care "crisis" is to require everyone pay the same..

Old 11-08-2008, 05:03 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,215,838 times
Support wars? Or support the troops? There is a big difference.
Universal health care ran by the Gov? Ran by a corrupt inefficient bureaucracy? Look no further than the VA, the medicaid systems to get a hint of what Universal health care will be like. Pelosi and Reed deciding what care I need? No thank you.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
WHERE did losing homes become an issue? I said personal bankruptcies, AFAIK there are a number of states where one is allowed to retain ownership of one's primary residence even after a bankruptcy filing.
It became an issue when "bankruptcies" became an issue. Lets look back and review who brought up bankruptcies as an issue, because it wasnt me..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies