Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: At what point would you support universal health care?
When 10% of Americans are uninsured (or less) 34 33.33%
When 20% of Americans are uninsured 2 1.96%
When 30% of Americans are uninsured 1 0.98%
When 40% of Americans are uninsured 1 0.98%
When 50% of Americans are uninsured 1 0.98%
When 60% of Americans are uninsured 0 0%
When 70% of Americans are uninsured 0 0%
When 80% of Americans are uninsured 0 0%
When 90% of Americans are uninsured 1 0.98%
When 100% of Americans are uninsured 2 1.96%
I will support it when I cant afford it 2 1.96%
I would NEVER support it, no matter what 54 52.94%
Other/Dunno 4 3.92%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:45 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,471,511 times

Advertisements

When 50% of americans dont have it?

75?

Never?

for those of you that dont support it now, what would make you reconsider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 06:54 PM

7,970 posts, read 9,187,775 times
I'd like to see a plan that is independently verified regarding its true costs and breakdown on what each taxpayer is responsible for before being able to support it.

No different than anything I would sign my name to or agree to participate in. I need to have to same information as I get from an insurance company when I sign up: monthly premium,(or tax rate equivalent in the case of UHC) deductibles, what is covered and what is excluded.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:56 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,308,476 times
I think it would be marginally acceptable if certain restrictions would be put in place. For example, grossly overweight people are intentionally placed lower in the queue for service as punishment for a slothful lifestyle. There needs to be an incentive for Americans to "shape up" in order to deserve this universal health care. I humbly believe it is impossible to offer true universal health care on the level of France, England, et al. we just have a different culture, we are lazier, fatter, and have too diverse a population.

There must also be no government monopoly on health care. Private doctors must exist able to compete with the government.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,802,305 times
I support it now.......
Maybe I read the options too fast but I don't recall that being a poll option.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:05 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,778,080 times
Force those that can afford it to buy it. The young who are offered employer sponsored plans but do not wish to because they are young and healthy and would rather have the money than the insurance.

When those in this country illegally are taken out of the equation.

The remainder can be placed in the existing government run healthcare, Medicare/Medicaid. Much cheaper solution and makes everyone happy.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:07 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,022,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
When 50% of americans dont have it?

75?

Never?

I think we can have universal heatlh care without a government monopoly.

The real drivers of the health care problem are #1 lack of real competition and #2 lack of choice, as well as government regulations that prevent #1 and #2.

In her book, Who Killed Health Care?: America's $2 Trillion Medical Problem - and the Consumer-Driven Cure , Regina Herzlinger lays out the plan for a universal health care system with real choice and real competition, modeled on the system they have in Switzerland. She says we could get better health care at 40% less cost, without a government monopoly or near-monopoly on care.

This woman is not just some rabid free market conservative. She's a health economist at Harvard and has been studying the issue for many decades. Since she's not an advocate of the "central planning" approach to health care like they have in most socialized medicine schemes, she is ignored by the media.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:11 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,022,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Force those that can afford it to buy it. The young who are offered employer sponsored plans but do not wish to because they are young and healthy and would rather have the money than the insurance.

When those in this country illegally are taken out of the equation.

The remainder can be placed in the existing government run healthcare, Medicare/Medicaid. Much cheaper solution and makes everyone happy.
I agree with you on the illegal immigrant issue. However, Medicare/Medicaid costs have been rising at an unsustainable rate for decades. Even the Obama administration admits this.

The way we do health care has to change. The "business as usual" approach that you propose would not be a real change from what we have now.

If we don't change course, we are going to go bankrupt trying to pay for all this health care, much of which is unnecessary.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:17 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,149,658 times
Quote:
At what point would you support universal health care?
Never. It is so far outside the Federal government's Constitutional obligations it's laughable. So are most Federal programs.

When are people going to wake up and realize that it's the STATES that are supposed to do things like this? Ever read the 10th Amendment?
Quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:20 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,335,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

Hell freezing over.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:21 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,778,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree with you on the illegal immigrant issue. However, Medicare/Medicaid costs have been rising at an unsustainable rate for decades. Even the Obama administration admits this.

The way we do health care has to change. The "business as usual" approach that you propose would not be a real change from what we have now.

If we don't change course, we are going to go bankrupt trying to pay for all this health care, much of which is unnecessary.

What do you think universal healthcare would get you. It would be Medicare/Medicaid for everyone. The only way to control costs is to reduces reimbursement (It has been cut to the bone in many instances, see hospital closings) or ration care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies