Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 12:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,488,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
There is LIHEAP for that, look it up!
that wont even come close to paying my gas bill. But using your argument, there is also medicaid.. Same things.. LIHEAP to pay for gas, Medicaid to pay for medical bills..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 12:32 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,495,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
They also can't grasp the fact that millions of the uninsured are young people who are generally healthy and do not want the premium payments.
And millions are not young people and not healthy and many more cannot get insurance at any price.

Quote:
By the way, you can own a million dollar house and be eligible for Medicaid.
I don't think so...

Quote:
Many groups of people are covered by Medicaid. Even within these groups, though, certain requirements must be met. These may include your age, whether you are pregnant, disabled, blind, or aged; your income and resources (like bank accounts, real property, or other items that can be sold for cash); and whether you are a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted immigrant. The rules for counting your income and resources vary from state to state and from group to group. There are special rules for those who live in nursing homes and for disabled children living at home.
Overview (http://www.cms.hhs.gov/MedicaidEligibility/ - broken link)

Your turn.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,488,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Many groups of people are covered by Medicaid. Even within these groups, though, certain requirements must be met. These may include your age, whether you are pregnant, disabled, blind, or aged; your income and resources (like bank accounts, real property, or other items that can be sold for cash); and whether you are a U.S. citizen or a lawfully admitted immigrant. The rules for counting your income and resources vary from state to state and from group to group. There are special rules for those who live in nursing homes and for disabled children living at home.
SOLD FOR CASH being the key word. Real property, with liabilities(mortgage) > property value(house) can not be sold for cash...

Have a $1M home, and have a $1M mortgage, you have $0 equity = no cash value..

Old 11-09-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
SOLD FOR CASH being the key word. Real property, with liabilities(mortgage) > property value(house) can not be sold for cash...

Have a $1M home, and have a $1M mortgage, you have $0 equity = no cash value..
Oh brother, since when can't a home be sold to raise cash? Ok, you are talking about someone with zero equity. I am talking about someone WITH equity. And the poster said "own a million dollar house." As long as someone has a mortgage, they don't "own" their house. They may have equity in their house, but they don't own it.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:00 PM

24,908 posts, read 39,444,610 times
The fact is, I, as an individual, have the right to decide if I want health insurance or not. It so happens I have great insurance - but, we could decide "the heck with it" and say no to insurance.

Why should the government force me to have something I do not want?

Answer: They shouldn't

Old 11-09-2008, 01:01 PM

Quote:
As long as someone has a mortgage, they don't "own" their house. They may have equity in their house, but they don't own it.
In Arizona, a person has full legal title / ownership to their property. The "own" their property" regardless of any real property lien

Old 11-09-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
In Arizona, a person has full legal title / ownership to their property. The "own" their property" regardless of any real property lien
They own what the bank doesn't. I don't consider that to be "owning" a home. They still have to pay the bank back, yunno. Once again, you want to discuss semantics over substance. But then considering you don't get concepts like "low income," I am not surprised.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
The fact is, I, as an individual, have the right to decide if I want health insurance or not. It so happens I have great insurance - but, we could decide "the heck with it" and say no to insurance.

Why should the government force me to have something I do not want?

Answer: They shouldn't
Yes, thank you for stating the obvious. If you don't want to participate in universal health care, don't. It so happens you have health insurance as you are insurable and qualify for health insurance and can afford it. Others are not in your shoes.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I don't consider that to be "owning" a home.
What "You" consider and what the LAW considers, are two entirely different things

I can assure you that if you tried to argue your position (what you consider) in a court of law in the State of Arizona, you will, I can guarantee you, lose.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
If you don't want to participate in universal health care, don't.
Actually, your statement above is, or may be, incorrect. Fore, it seems part of the Obama proposal is that EVERYONE "must" have health insurance -

No options Sweetie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies