Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:44 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,449,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
It depends on the war. And are you trying to say that no Democrats ever support a war.
I don't believe I said no democrats ever support a war. What I did say is that republicans support death. They support these wars. These wars are killing people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
One should reflect on the vote that Congress had. It was not all Republicans.
Right, it was only six years of republican control that ruined us. The dems have only ruled congress for the past two years. After six years of ruinous republican rule, well, it ain't an easy thing to fix. Especially with a bully administration who threatens congress with martial law if it doesn't get its way.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:47 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
I don't believe I said no democrats ever support a war. What I did say is that republicans support death. They support these wars. These wars are killing people.

you mean like johnson and fdr? those kind of republicans?

Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
you mean like johnson and fdr? those kind of republicans?
Um, no, I think I am referring to the current brand of republicans and their ilk.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:01 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Not all Republicans support wars or a war. Your claim is much too broad.
And, again, Republicans support a safe and secure country. Sometimes a war is necessary for that.

Terrorist attacks kill a lot of people, too, Should we just surrender to the terrorists?

Old 11-09-2008, 08:03 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,979 times
Quote:

I don't think anybody supports war or death. I think some recognize that war, as a means to an end, is a necessary evil.

During debate #2 Obama himself stated that he would not allow, and the world should not allow, another Holocaust to happen. I suggest you research the Saddam regime, and learn just how many tens of thousands of his own citizens he murdered. His stated goal to wipe the ethnic minority from Iraq is not terribly different than Hitler's desire to "exterminate" the Jews.

For this reason alone, regardless of WMD, I have no issue with the war in Iraq. Obama is a ardent supporter of the United Nations - he has made this very clear. The UN, by its charter, is the world peacekeeper. If the UN had unilaterally stated it was going to overthrow Iraq because of the ethnic cleansing, I bet the liberals would have had no issues with the war.

In this day and age, I don't think anybody should sit back and watch a government murder its own citizens. I support the use of force in those situations. Rawanda, Rhodesia, Somalia, Kafur, or Bosnia were all worthy of US troops in my mind. As President, I would have sent them.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:15 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
Um, no, I think I am referring to the current brand of republicans and their ilk.

well maybe you should have included fdr and johnson, both of those wars with liberals in office were ran by the liberals and have costed more in american lives than both iraq wars have.

please also remember that is was a liberal who dropped the only nukes in war time.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:38 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
Quote:
It's all too easy to say that as an "armchair quarterback" so to speak. Notice that the US soil has not been attacked by terrorists since 9/11. How would we know what the result would have been if the Iraq War was not approved? We don't. However, I definitely believe there was a chance of more terrorist activity. The fact is, it isn't that hard to park a massive bomb or nuclear weapon off the port of some major US city from some boat from international waters. Look at Oklahoma City (no not a port), but it was fairly simple for terrorists to take out lots of people.

You say Republicans support death, but then say Democrats can choose to support or not support it.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:39 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,368,972 times
Quote:
Right, it was only six years of republican control that ruined us. The dems have only ruled congress for the past two years. After six years of ruinous republican rule, well, it ain't an easy thing to fix. Especially with a bully administration who threatens congress with martial law if it doesn't get its way.
They can vote how they want. Every Republican except 1 voted YES, but why didn't every Democrat except 1 or 2 vote against it?

Old 11-09-2008, 10:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, your statement above is, or may be, incorrect. Fore, it seems part of the Obama proposal is that EVERYONE "must" have health insurance -

No options Sweetie

No ;if you watched the debates between Clinton and Obama or any intervioew with him on this. He explained that 15 million it is estimate will not be covered because his plan does not mandate it. He said that that is the estimate of those he estmates will not qualify for governamnt help and will not pay becuase they can;'t afforsd it in their opinion. It is not mandated under his plan as it was in clintons.He said it just not practical to require people to buy it by order.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies