Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support giving Ukraine F-16s
Yes 201 39.72%
No 256 50.59%
Unsure 49 9.68%
Voters: 506. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 09:25 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,761,018 times

Advertisements

ISW Update 2/19/23

https://www.understandingwar.org/bac...bruary-18-2023

Quote:
Feb 18, 2023 - Press ISW

Russian forces conducted another missile strike attack targeting Ukrainian infrastructure throughout the country. The Ukrainian General Staff reported on February 18 that Russian forces launched 16 missiles targeting civilian infrastructure in Khmelnytskyi City and Ukraiinsk in Donetsk Oblast (about 30km west of Donetsk City). Ukrainian military officials reported that Ukrainian air defense systems shot down two Kalibr missiles of four launched earlier in the day but did not release the total number of intercepted missiles towards the end of the day. Ukrainian officials also did not release information about the type of missiles Russian forces used during this attack as of the time of this publication. Russian sources claimed that Russian forces struck critical infrastructure facilities in Khmelnytskyi City and oblast and Kryvyi Rih. Ukrainian nuclear enterprise Energoatom reported that two Russian missiles flew dangerously close to the South Ukraine Nuclear Power Plant (NPP)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2023, 09:29 AM

3,289 posts, read 1,651,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Russian has now replaced paper records with a unified database of eligible draftees:

https://mstdn.social/@ChrisO_wiki@ma...91577832205337
This will also centralize the flow of bribes from the regions to the center.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:33 AM

7,817 posts, read 2,761,018 times
Michael Kofman provides excellent analysis on the current state of affairs. Here is his latest thread. It's a good read.

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/st...09427907854336

Quote:
A few thoughts on the Russian winter offensive, which began 3+ weeks ago, and has so far yielded little progress for RU forces. Poor force quality, loss of junior officers, ammunition, and equipment constraints limit Russian offensive potential. Thread. 1/

Old 02-19-2023, 09:43 AM

8,603 posts, read 7,027,872 times
And here we see how one man’s ego in an authoritarian state can create a disaster with no checks or balances. Putin wants to recreate the old USSR with him as the new Stalin. The upper strata of the power elite who oppose him mysteriously fall to their deaths from open windows in high rise buildings. And the Chinese are now openly supporting Putin.

Old 02-19-2023, 09:54 AM

5,125 posts, read 2,801,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
You seem confused. There is a difference between NATO and the UN, and I never mentioned NATO in my post.

That isn't the only confusion, misinformation, and falsehood in your posts. This may not be the topic for you to engage in, you are obviously not prepared to deal in reality.
In this case of Ukraine, NATO and the UN are one in the same. They serve the same master. Their goals are the same as dictated.

You are obviously extremely desperate to push your point of view and attempt to discredit others that contradict your view. Do you have an agenda? I think that you do.

As for me, I call it as I see it. There is no pressure on me. People are free to read my posts and accept or reject my views. I don't get upset or mad if people disagree with me. I don't try to discredit them or undermine them, or try to make them stop posting here, especially since I don't know them.

The war in Ukraine continues and what I and others say won't change the outcome. The best that we can do is observe, comment, and see what that outcome is. Once the war is won then we will be able to see who was right and who was wrong.

I will continue to post what I wish within the constraints of City Data. You cannot muzzle or stop me. People are free to post here without others's interference.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:02 AM

5,125 posts, read 2,801,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
The fantasy that is endangering the world right now is the Russian fantasy of thinking that they are still an empire. They are a traumatized society, ruled by the champions of imperial resentment and dangerous narcissistic nostalgia.
I know, Russia bad, Ukraine good. Putin would have overrun Ukraine back in 2014 if he wanted to expand his "empire". Yes, Russia's leaders are all wacky, corrupt, and insane, contrary to our own young, smart, honest, and energetic Joe Biden. Hail Joe! He will get us out of this mess!

Old 02-19-2023, 10:09 AM

4,997 posts, read 2,769,214 times
at this point (Feb. 19 2023) it doesn't matter who's right or wrong..all that matters now is who is weak and who is strong..I see Russia getting weaker..

Old 02-19-2023, 10:27 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,134,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I agree. I have been saying there is something wrong with Russian society, but maybe a kinder way of saying the same thing is to call them traumatized.
After all, the civilian population provided the military forces the people who shot unarmed civilians, and the ones who shelled occupied buildings.

The Russian offensive has already started. It is that weak.
Probably not.

One of the professionals that I follow for perspective on this war is Maj. General (ret) Mick Ryan. He lays out reasons why the current activity can be viewed as a reconnaissance in force in advance of a Russian campaign. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-...tory/101965116

His analysis seems pretty reasonable, and he has a track record that has largely been supported through this war. He was not calling for this to be quick, and was an early advocate of additional armor.

Old 02-19-2023, 10:32 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,134,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
In this case of Ukraine, NATO and the UN are one in the same. They serve the same master. Their goals are the same as dictated.

You are obviously extremely desperate to push your point of view and attempt to discredit others that contradict your view. Do you have an agenda? I think that you do.

As for me, I call it as I see it. There is no pressure on me. People are free to read my posts and accept or reject my views. I don't get upset or mad if people disagree with me. I don't try to discredit them or undermine them, or try to make them stop posting here, especially since I don't know them.

The war in Ukraine continues and what I and others say won't change the outcome. The best that we can do is observe, comment, and see what that outcome is. Once the war is won then we will be able to see who was right and who was wrong.

I will continue to post what I wish within the constraints of City Data. You cannot muzzle or stop me. People are free to post here without others's interference.
Lets address the portion of your post that I put in bold.

This entire post is an attempt to discredit me. You are insinuating that I have an agenda and implying that I have tried to make you stop posting. Neither of which is true. Yes, my viewpoint is very different from yours, and I have called you out when you have not been truthful. That certainly does not rise to the level of trying to stifle your posts.

Your post is an example of hypocrisy. Not a problem, you are certainly free to post such thoughts, just as I am free to point it out.

Maybe we can talk about the facts? I posted a number discrediting your claims of Ukrainian assault on civilians, showing that what Russia is doing is far worse. Care to take that on?

Old 02-19-2023, 10:35 AM

8,992 posts, read 11,880,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
at this point (Feb. 19 2023) it doesn't matter who's right or wrong..all that matters now is who is weak and who is strong..I see Russia getting weaker..
It matters who right and who is wrong. What Russia is doing is wrong. That's why I support Ukraine. And that's why Ukraine gets the support from many countries around the world.

Yes, Russia is getting weaker, but that is of little comfort to Ukrainian defenders if they can't take back the stolen lands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies