Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 01:07 PM

8,272 posts, read 3,516,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I find myself wondering if my CPAP machine might help.
Probably a little. I rarely used it anymore, so I used it last night. Felt pretty good!
I don't think it would hurt. I've been thinking of getting my bi-pap out of storage, but the reason I stopped using it was because it was blowing ice cold air up my nose and the heat part wouldn't work. Thought of tinkering with it some more. Maybe I will later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I had just watched a video in Italy showing massive amount of coffins just being put in churches/buildings so it was on my mind. I don't mean to sound insensitive but if things don't look like they are goign to slow down & only get worse. Might be something that needs to be done. People who prepare the bodies have to be subject to possibly getting sick.
Yes, it makes more sense to burn the bodies. The bodies could possibly spread the disease.

How is it still spreading over there when the country is on lockdown? Is this really airborne or something?

Old 03-23-2020, 01:15 PM

78,550 posts, read 60,749,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Nothing prevented you or I from acquiring a ventilator, for back up, like a home generator, a year ago. We could have split the cost and alternated location, say every other month. We could meet up in say Springfield, IL.

Nearly everything operates on “ just in time” inventory. Nothing prevented your or my local hospital from stockpiling hundreds- thousands of ventilators just in case a once every 100 year global pandemic were to happen. The cost would become a part of hospital overhead and baked into the price of every service. Assume they would become obsolete at some point and require replacement.

States, not the Federal government, control the number of hospital beds in the state. Like hotels, it all depends on occupancy rates. Most hospitals tend to operate near full capacity during flu season, just like a resort in Florida, during the winter. Unoccupied rooms are a financial drain.
Is it legal to buy a ventilator though or do you need proper sign-offs or a prescription from a doc which you wouldn't get if otherwise healthy?

I looked on-line in curiosity and it looks like the govt. does indeed prevent you from stockpiling ventilators as a private citizen, although maybe if you got all officially licensed etc. but that would be a huge bar to jump over.

Anybody know about this?

Old 03-23-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I'm expecting we'll triage based on "most likely to recover", and provide opioids for the rest. Just like on a battlefield.
These days they'll only be given Tylenol.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:27 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,776,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Right. A very elderly person w/ multiple health issues and poor prognoses doesn't get the amount of care someone younger w/ less health issues gets.
So you think staff has the authority to determine who gets what. Smells like a lawsuit.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:30 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,776,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Is it legal to buy a ventilator though or do you need proper sign-offs or a prescription from a doc which you wouldn't get if otherwise healthy?

I looked on-line in curiosity and it looks like the govt. does indeed prevent you from stockpiling ventilators as a private citizen, although maybe if you got all officially licensed etc. but that would be a huge bar to jump over.

Anybody know about this?
Would you know how to set it up, or what settings (VT, RR, FIO2, PEEP, what does VE mean?) are optimal for you. Can you run it and if someone knew how, how about the tubing and the oxygen to bleed in? How about weaning off the ventilator, you'll need ABG's. What if the alarms start sounding off, will you know what each alarm means and how to troubleshoot it? If the high pressure alarm keeps going off can you determine the cause? If the low pressure alarm goes off can you find the leak quickly? Can you suction? Can you tell if the tube is in the correct position, where will the suction come from.

Last edited by petch751; 03-23-2020 at 01:38 PM..

Old 03-23-2020, 01:37 PM

35,755 posts, read 21,113,936 times
well folks I am trying to stay healthy - but have been re-arranging some things in case it gets bleak- at almost 67- be saying "see ya up the yonder- please leave political banners behind"
hope something positive kicks in soon

Old 03-23-2020, 01:44 PM

10,368 posts, read 8,010,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So you think staff has the authority to determine who gets what. Smells like a lawsuit.
They do have that authority. In a shortage, the patient with the best prognosis gets the treatment. It's standard triage, and has been done many times in the past in the aftermath of large natural disasters or mass casualty situations such as airplane crashes or explosions/bomb attacks).

Old 03-23-2020, 01:59 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,737,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
No kidding. yes, I have no idea why people have so much trouble understanding kindergarten reading and perception. Go back and read, you'll see that I said in 20+ I've never seen it happen, I said "nothing" about that it can't happen.
Transplants are rationed. They're decided by triage... who is most likely to live after the surgery? If someone is not likely to be helped, they don't get a transplant in many cases.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:01 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,403,407 times
That is very sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies