Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2008, 07:23 PM

358 posts, read 518,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
most military take a oath to the Constitution but few actually know what the Constitution stands for.They only know that they are taking a oath to defend "America" and to take orders from superiors and the president.

People in the military are no different than the people on this forum that there are different thoughts on things.While a soldier may know a illegal order when given to him and may refuse the soldiers are rarely told why to do something they are just told do it.

Some would not fire on American civilians,but some probably would because they are taking orders and are not in a position to ask why.

It would suprise most people that people in the military know and take the Constitution more seriously than any other group of citizens in the USA.
I also include vets in this group as well.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:34 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,791,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losertarian View Post
It would suprise most people that people in the military know and take the Constitution more seriously than any other group of citizens in the USA.

Thus when ordered by civilian authority to suppress rebellion they would do so, just as in the Great Rebellion of 1861-65.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Thus when ordered by civilian authority to suppress rebellion they would do so, just as in the Great Rebellion of 1861-65.

remember that alot of soldiers in the union army went over to the CSA as they knew that their states came before union did.
most soldiers would in fact follow an officers orders. but those that do not, would know that NO soldier has to follow any order that is illegal or unconstitutional. that was drilled into my head from day 1 during my military service.

Old 06-22-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
remember that alot of soldiers in the union army went over to the CSA as they knew that their states came before union did.
most soldiers would in fact follow an officers orders. but those that do not, would know that NO soldier has to follow any order that is illegal or unconstitutional. that was drilled into my head from day 1 during my military service.
About a third of the officers turned their coats in 1861 but only a handful of rankers. In any event The United States Army and Navy suppressed the rebellion, that's unarguable.

I doubt many soldiers are constitutional scholars or would consider orders to fire on armed rebels as illegal, they haven't in the past.

The Supreme Court decides what is and isn't constitutional, not you, that's in the Constitution.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
About a third of the officers turned their coats in 1861 but only a handful of rankers. In any event The United States Army and Navy suppressed the rebellion, that's unarguable.

I doubt many soldiers are constitutional scholars or would consider orders to fire on armed rebels as illegal, they haven't in the past.

The Supreme Court decides what is and isn't constitutional, not you, that's in the Constitution.

actually, there is nothing in the Constitution that says that a state cannot secede or not. and the civil war did not decide the question of secession at all. the union did in fact succeed if forcing the southern states to come back into the union, but the actual question of secession was never answered.
a recipricol right of being allowed into the union upon the agreement of the compact between the state and the central goverment is secession. when a compact is gone aginst by 1 party, the compact is null and void for all parties.
try reading the current legislation going on in Montana. the compact between Montana and the federal goverment was that the federal goverment agreed that the 2nd Amendment was an individual right and not a collective one, if the federal goverment goes against that compact, then onatan would have a case for secession from the union, without any legal recourse from the federal goverment.
also remember that the SCOTUS does not decide what is Constitutional, they just try their best to intepret the Constitution to the best of their ability.

Old 06-22-2008, 08:26 PM

Quote:
also remember that the SCOTUS does not decide what is Constitutional, they just try their best to intepret the Constitution to the best of their ability.
Yeah, in other words it decides what's constitutional.

The War of the Rebellion was fought upon the issue of secession and decided it. Had the rebelling states thought they'd a legal right to secede they should have taken their case to courts of law and not the court of violent rebellion and civil war. When you appeal to the sword you've no right to complain when the sword rules against you.

One might as well argue that the Yorkist victory at Tewesbury was illegal and the Lancastrians should be put back upon the English throne.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:44 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,802,796 times
Pleas don't revolt in my neighborhood.

Look forward to seeing you on the news.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Yeah, in other words it decides what's constitutional.

The War of the Rebellion was fought upon the issue of secession and decided it. Had the rebelling states thought they'd a legal right to secede they should have taken their case to courts of law and not the court of violent rebellion and civil war. When you appeal to the sword you've no right to complain when the sword rules against you.

One might as well argue that the Yorkist victory at Tewesbury was illegal and the Lancastrians should be put back upon the English throne.

thats what the english would have said to the colonies before, during and after the revolutionary war. according to liberals I am suprised we the USA is not still an english colony.

the right of secession still was not decided on during the civil war. plus even if it was, there have been plenty of decisions that have happened since that the SCOTUS have ruled against since the civil war.

the southern states had decided already that they had the right to secede when they did so. therefore it was their state right to secede wthout any recourse needed from the federal court system.

Old 06-23-2008, 02:43 AM

1,022 posts, read 3,347,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexianPatriot View Post
seriously. When our currency fails? When the bureaucrats socialize healthcare? When the supreme court rules the DC gun ban constitutional? When the government defaults on social security and medicare benefits? How much longer will we take violations of state's rights, private property rights, privacy rights, and our nation's sovereignty?

The founding fathers were up in arms over a small tax on imported tea. Where's the civil disobedience at? Where are the protests? Where's our Boston Tea Party? Is America too apathetic and/or spineless to make a stand? Will we submit to fascism and totalitarianism of the federal bureaucracy? Or will we rally as our founding fathers did in an effort for our God given liberty? Who will make a stand with me?
It has been a long conditioning process they have waged Texan.

I don't have any answers for you Texan. I know how you might feel about things. I know many of the people in the United States do care and see these things. Many just don't have any answers so they don't say anything. I'm not apathetic of indifferent at all. I know where I stand and im vocal about it. Solutions? You got me. Prayer is the only thing I can think of.

Last edited by the_pines; 06-23-2008 at 03:26 AM..

Old 06-23-2008, 07:15 AM

13,607 posts, read 21,417,975 times
Quote:
While vets make up a large part of imformed voters there are plenty of military or ex military that think firearms only should be used by the police and military.

And haven had a discussion with some military and ex military folk on a gun forum they were of the impression that many joining don't really think about the Constitution as far as meaning.Some themselves admitted being 18 and joining and not putting much thought into it until latter.

The military doesn't teach Constitutional law,they teach you to be a team member and take orders.A soldier is not going to stop in most cases and ask a superior "is it Constitutional that we do this?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.