Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Trump's statement?
Yes 229 48.21%
No 246 51.79%
Voters: 475. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:12 PM

5,886 posts, read 3,256,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Immigrants make up 42% of STEM workers in California. They are mostly from countries that Trump regards as s**tholes. They will never be American to Trump because the color of their skin. Sad!
I don't know if that's true, it might be the case in Silicon valley....and btw that influx of foreigners has ruined a lot of the communities there.

Vastly diminished social trust or cohesion because immigration is negative for that. Balkanization has created ethnic enclaves in places that even when majority white, were actually more "diverse" than they are now.

Just go look at a place like Cupertino where the schools are high 90s percent ASIAN.

Even 30 years ago, the school population was never high 90s percent white.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:17 PM

33,639 posts, read 18,327,964 times
The liberals can fund the people from the slums of other countries. Take in ten or twenty in your homes and feed them. The debt is 20 trillion so the liberals need to pick up the tab and feed them ,put a roof over their head, and pay their expenses. Why not?. Put their money where there mouth is.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,199,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
They are Putin's neighbor. Russia !!! Russia !!! Russia !!! Where have you been to not know if Putin was Trump's neighbor all crap would hit the fan. It was reported that way for months. Norway must be a Putin puppet they share a border for crying out loud.
Shh, shh...go back to sleep kiddo, it's just a bad dream.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:22 PM

5,790 posts, read 3,635,470 times
Trump's comments were just plain racism. Pure and simple. Just more "red meat" to that certain part of his base that's so hung up on this society beginning to see the bankruptcy of their values that they'll latch onto any so-called champion of what they represent (not just in racial matters). NOT ALL Trump voters are like that. A large number truly did vote for him to either "send a message" or because they're so desperate they'll put their hopes in charismatic figure that promises to get their jobs back (hint: Trump told half-truths at best about the Carrier plant in Indiana).

As for Norway itself. I'm sure somebody already posted this, but just in case I'm the first,
Why Norwegians Aren't Moving to the U.S.

Quote:
In fiscal year 2016, 1.18 million people became legal permanent residents of the United States, according to data from the Department of Homeland Security. Of these, 362 were born in Norway. That status, which is also known as the “green card,” brings immigrants one step closer to becoming naturalized American citizens. That same year, 753,060 green-card holders became citizens. The number of Norwegians: 93. The number of Norwegians immigrants to the U.S. has steadily declined over the past five decades, according to data from the Migration Policy Institute, which studies global migration trends. In fact, there are fewer Norwegians living in the U.S. than any other major European country.
Perhaps because of the following:

Quote:
The country discovered oil in the late 1960s, and, unlike other resource-rich countries that have succumbed to mismanagement and corruption in the face of sudden wealth, invested heavily in its people and its economy to become one of the world’s wealthiest places. Its per capita gross domestic product went from $1,441.80 in 1960 to $70,911.8 now, according to World Bank data. (The U.S. figure is $57,638.20.) Norway has higher life expectancy at birth than the U.S., lower rates of infant mortality, low unemployment, and access to the European Union’s labor market (though it’s not an EU member).
Hmmm. The article says this reflects Western Europe in general. PLUS, their health care system is so much better than America's and their workers are paid more (unless you are working for a big multinational corporation). I don't blame them. Were I Norwegian, I wouldn't immigrate here either.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:26 PM

10,997 posts, read 20,685,165 times
First I would like to comment on Norway: I am the grandchild of a Norwegian immigrant who visited Norway in the early 60s and then returned last September. Demographically Norway is 'suffering' from the problem of having a highly educated and aging workforce with little interest in service and blue collar occupations. They need people willing to work in restaurants, care for the elderly, clean hotel rooms etc. The only solution was to allow for immigration. No legal resident suffers from hunger or lack of clean and safe housing. ALL children are educated, those who choose to stay in Norway for higher education and who qualify do not pay for it. They become Norwegian citizens. Most immigrants are not blue eyed and fair haired so the 'look' of a Norwegian is changing.

Visit Norway. It is clean, healthcare is basically free (paid for by oil revenue and taxes). Roads are superb. The cost of living is high, like San Francisco high.

The Norwegians I met have no interest in immigrating to the USA. If I didn't have family here I would retrace my grandfather's footsteps and go back to Telemark just to avoid the stain Trump has made on our dear nation.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:29 PM

20,041 posts, read 23,056,997 times
Look at how quickly the RWNJ's pounce on someone posting their truth.

Sick, sick, sick.....

Old 01-12-2018, 09:29 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,601,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
They work hard - harder than the vast majority of Americans I have seen.
Some are willing to do job that very few Americans will do.
They work for less - in general (libertarians and righties love this)
They have religious and family values (in general).....

Would you like more reasons?
I doubt it. If that were true, the Democrats would have motes and armed guards with machine guns to keep them out as they wouldn't want the risk of them getting Amnesty and voting Republican (not that the Republican Party is what it once was. Reagan and Lincoln wouldn't recognize the current party at all and would denounce it.)

Old 01-12-2018, 09:31 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,601,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Your criteria leaves us with the only immigration eligible population being limited to a few oligarchs from Russia
Says the party that used to fraternize with the Soviet Union.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:40 PM

15,291 posts, read 7,818,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
The Norwegians I met have no interest in immigrating to the USA.
I would imagine that the Norwegians who do want to immigrate to America are typically people with very high skill levels who could make a lot of money but are prevented from doing that by the structure of the economy and tax system in their home country. It is certainly in America's interests to help such people make that move, while making it more difficult for the typically unskilled and unproductive to move from places like Haiti. Trump's instincts on immigration are correct as usual.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:44 PM

26,669 posts, read 28,985,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The liberals can fund the people from the slums of other countries. Take in ten or twenty in your homes and feed them. The debt is 20 trillion so the liberals need to pick up the tab and feed them ,put a roof over their head, and pay their expenses. Why not?. Put their money where there mouth is.
All that needs to be done is to follow the rules of LEGAL immigration. (Besides stopping the illegals.)

Believe it or not, we liberals do not want to fund the people from the slums of other countries.
Most of us want the immigration laws enforced. (My husband is an immigrant and there are RULES to follow when you do it LEGALLY.)

There are rules to be followed for getting into this country--people need to follow them. And that is not racist, it's just being fair.

I DESPISE TRUMP and think he is killing our wonderful country but to imply that we need immigrants who meet the established qualifications is not being racist. Bad choice of Haiti as an example though and a disgusting descriptive word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies