Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 05:01 PM

8,608 posts, read 5,673,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
"...according to data released by the Census bureau."

They probably rounded up by 10 million. Either way, who cares? It means that many more people are bilingual. (It's not just Spanish, either.)

Old 10-24-2017, 05:12 PM

18,057 posts, read 10,476,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Ca is getting browner, for lack of another term. Every where I go I'm starting to feel more and more like a minority. I guess it's a taste for white people to feel what other groups have felt like. That all being said I really overall don't pay much attention. I'm so used to seeing Hispanic people that I don't even notice really in my day to day life. I'll got to a taco joint I like and half the time when they call out the order numbers for pickup they do it in Spanish. I don't speak it, but got a basic grasp on numbers, to a certain degree.

What they speak at home, meh, I don't care. In public, it would be nice if we all just used English because there are a lot of Mexican/Hispanic people that aren't fluent in Spanish either.

I think the demographics are shifting overall in this country and I think the Dems are keenly aware of this, otherwise their lack of action on border security and sanctuary city policies wouldn't be even remotely understandable, once it dawned on me that they are simply pandering for future votes my head stop exploding, well it does still but at least it makes some sense, although I don't agree, I can see the logic.
The next generation of Hispanics will turn into White guys. Inevitable. Same thing as happened with the Italians. They simply become assimilated and vanish as an ethnic group. My kids grandmother spoke fluent Italian and their mother spoke it exclusively until she was four. She however could only follow it as an adult and really could not speak it. If fact it was funny she would take part in an Italian conversation but respond in English which even the Italian only speakers could follow. My kids aren't even remotely Italian. They have moved on and favor their Irish side if anything.

And that is exactly what will happen with the Hispanics. Our gardeners kids are perfectly bilingual but theirchildren will mostly not speak Spanish and their grand children will not speak it at all. And they will inter marry with the rest of the society further assimilating.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:14 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,624,163 times
Remind me why I should be concerned with the language someone speaks in the privacy of their home.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:17 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,205,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Remind me why I should be concerned with the language someone speaks in the privacy of their home.
Slight correction, language spoken by certain brown people. Not all foreign languages.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:21 PM

6,247 posts, read 3,647,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The majority of Californians vote for non-English speaking illegals to be educated in California, have health care in California, and find 'sanctuary' in California. Of course, I think "English speaking Californian's like it".
No, we don't vote for these things--they're rammed through by the state assembly. Odd how every election there are umpteen proposals on the ballot for people to vote on, but sanctuary state status (California Values Act) and Covered California (the state's ACA) for illegals never were.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:44 PM

76,959 posts, read 47,882,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Slight correction, language spoken by certain brown people. Not all foreign languages.
No, it says 44% don't speak English at home. That means they speak languages other than English.

Old 10-24-2017, 05:48 PM

8,608 posts, read 5,673,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, it says 44% don't speak English at home. That means they speak languages other than English.
That wasn't his point.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:10 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,205,969 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That wasn't his point.
Haha, yeah. It's not that they speak a foreign language in their home, as much as it's what language they speak.

Old 10-24-2017, 06:27 PM

76,959 posts, read 47,882,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Haha, yeah. It's not that they speak a foreign language in their home, as much as it's what language they speak.
Why does it bother you if someone speaks a foreign language, even Spanish () in the privacy of their homes?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:29 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,624,163 times
Quote:
Why does it bother you if someone speaks a foreign language, even Spanish () in the privacy of their homes?
Oh my god. Finn, go back & reread the post & the post quoted, which was mine. You're not getting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies