Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 02:40 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This is appalling. Not for me, but for the children growing up in those homes. My grandparents were immigrants and they refused to let my parents speak anything other than English. My grandparents went to night school to learn to use proper English. I would hate to think how disadvantaged my parents and possibly myself would have been otherwise.
Actually, I was advantaged that we spoke Chinese in the home growing up. I maintained my bilingualism and it's helped me in my career overall.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:42 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have always said I don't care what language one chooses to speak at home. However, it is an indication that they have no interest in making English their primary language of usage. Just saying.
No it's not. I'll be happy to tell you to "mind your own business" when it comes to speaking languages at one's home in Mandarin, Cantonese, Spanish as well as English.

You obviously haven't heard of code switching, which is what people who are aware of different contexts, cultures and situations do instinctively. It often applies to languages.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:42 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
No surprise. Calif. is infested with illegal aliens and other Hispanics who either don't want to learn English or can and won't speak it as their primary language of usage.

And how many first and second generation Americans do you think could honestly say the legal immigrants they descended from spoke English at home?

Old 10-24-2017, 02:43 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
bull. harvesting is seasonal, and without migrant workers there are NOT ENOUGH locals to do the work. Americans are UNWILLING to work as migrants. Why? because how do you raise kids and move them 3 or more times a year?

The reality is simple. Unless you are willing to pay $5.99 a pound for your veg that is currently $1.99 a pound.

that is the reality. Your claiming they 'Steal" jobs ref farming is simply nonsense.
This has been debunked as many times as has been brought up.

If Americans can't pay a legal wage to legal workers they should fail. Some of you are probably lamenting the fact that you can't own slaves anymore. The ultimate cheap labor, right?

Old 10-24-2017, 02:49 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,490,585 times
Melanian and Barron Trump speak Slovenian at home in the White House.

https://bilingualkidspot.com/2016/11...ingual-family/
Barron, who is being raised bilingual with English and Slovenian, his parent’s native languages.

“Barron speaks two languages completely perfect.. He goes from one thing to another”

Old 10-24-2017, 02:50 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
And? What's the problem with that? I'm not gonna stop speaking Spanish in my house, or among other Spanish speakers just to make some white guy somewhere that has never heard of me comfortable
There you go with that color card again. Please see the error of your ways

Old 10-24-2017, 02:50 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Could this be why when I sent my husband to Walmart in Myrtle Beach a couple of weeks ago he came back with the cucumbers but they were labeled "green beans" and I think he paid green bean prices for them because they were about a dollar more than the same package at our local Walmart?

We need a law making English our official language and people who work should be made to learn English.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:52 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,914,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This has been debunked as many times as has been brought up.

If Americans can't pay a legal wage to legal workers they should fail. Some of you are probably lamenting the fact that you can't own slaves anymore. The ultimate cheap labor, right?
They probably should fail. But what do we do about the rise in prices in response? Few companies are going to eat that cost.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:52 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
There you go with that color card again. Please see the error of your ways
Well. what other race is bothered by the fact that people speak Spanish at home?

Old 10-24-2017, 02:53 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Melanian and Barron Trump speak Slovenian at home in the White House.

https://bilingualkidspot.com/2016/11...ingual-family/
Barron, who is being raised bilingual with English and Slovenian, his parent’s native languages.

“Barron speaks two languages completely perfect.. He goes from one thing to another”
Yeah, but that doesn't count.

I have a solid guess as to why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies