Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 01:52 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,941,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This is appalling. Not for me, but for the children growing up in those homes. My grandparents were immigrants and they refused to let my parents speak anything other than English. My grandparents went to night school to learn to use proper English. I would hate to think how disadvantaged my parents and possibly myself would have been otherwise.
What you write has never come to pass with the millions of immigrants we have had in this country for decades/generations.

Second generation immigrants who speak a different language at home (either with their parents or with their grandparents) have been some of the most intelligent people I've met or worked with. I think speaking a second language, especially at an early age, is a big part of that.

And it's not like this is a new finding:
The Benefits of Bilingualism - The New York Times

https://www.britishcouncil.org/voice...ke-you-smarter

Does Being Bilingual Make You Smarter? | The Science of Learning

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-...s-smarter.html

Old 10-24-2017, 01:57 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,139,471 times
Quote:
This is appalling. Not for me, but for the children growing up in those homes. My grandparents were immigrants and they refused to let my parents speak anything other than English. My grandparents went to night school to learn to use proper English. I would hate to think how disadvantaged my parents and possibly myself would have been otherwise.
How do you know they aren't bilingual?

Seriously, why is this even an issue? Who cares what language someone speaks! We're a nation bound by the US Constitution, not blood & soil.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:59 PM

76,968 posts, read 47,833,023 times
Quote:
Pure nonsense. Every immigrant family I know who speak language other than english at home, have kids who speak 100% fluent American english as well as the language of their parents. There is absolutely no disadvantage speaking two languages fluently. As a matter of fact it is a great advantage.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:10 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,497,966 times
Quote:
Maybe you think it’s worse than it is because you weren’t raised this way. If you were, you’d know there is 0 disadvantage to speaking a foreign language at home. I didn’t speak English at home growing up and I speak it better than a lot of people who ONLY speak English. Heck I even know some bilingual white American families who purposely only speak a foreign language at home because they know their kid will naturally learn English from the outside world anyway.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:11 PM

691 posts, read 422,974 times
44% of my neighbors in york city do not speak english at home lol

Old 10-24-2017, 02:15 PM

45,675 posts, read 24,144,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I have always said I don't care what language one chooses to speak at home. However, it is an indication that they have no interest in making English their primary language of usage. Just saying.
If you are a family that has other cultures in your heritage -- not just Spanish speaking.....it is difficult for kids to keep up the language, vocabulary, the skill unless the use it. Sos they use it at home.

Most families I know where the parents have a second language that's kind of their thing...at home they use the second language so the kids can keep it up.

Nation wide the statistic is that 20 percent of American residents speak a foreign language at home. That's impressive.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:17 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,661,005 times
Quote:
These so-called hard working Mexicans here illegally are stealing American jobs, resources and taxes to the tune of $113 billion a year. Only 2% of illegals are picking crops and for those jobs there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers so you were saying? While the growers pay these illegal aliens less than minimum wage they pass their enormous social costs on to we the taxpayer. The rest of the illegals have taken jobs from Americans in construction for example by working for less and you're ok with that? Educate yourself on this issue and learn some respect for the American worker and the rule of law.
bull. harvesting is seasonal, and without migrant workers there are NOT ENOUGH locals to do the work. Americans are UNWILLING to work as migrants. Why? because how do you raise kids and move them 3 or more times a year?

The reality is simple. Unless you are willing to pay $5.99 a pound for your veg that is currently $1.99 a pound.

that is the reality. Your claiming they 'Steal" jobs ref farming is simply nonsense.

Old 10-24-2017, 02:20 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,941,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
bull. harvesting is seasonal, and without migrant workers there are NOT ENOUGH locals to do the work. Americans are UNWILLING to work as migrants. Why? because how do you raise kids and move them 3 or more times a year?

The reality is simple. Unless you are willing to pay $5.99 a pound for your veg that is currently $1.99 a pound.

that is the reality. Your claiming they 'Steal" jobs ref farming is simply nonsense.
The American people, generally, are not willing to pay the price for American-made goods. I say this all of the time.

I, personally, am willing to do so. But I know most Americans would not when push comes to shove.

They might talk a big game..."America first", and all of that Trump malarkey...but when it comes time to buy that product at Walmart, you can make a safe bet that price, not where it was produced/how it was made/how much the people who made it were paid, is the single deciding factor. Walmart tries to do that little "putting America to work" BS in ads, but their stuff is still coming mostly from the same places.

Most Americans simply do not care how the product they want to buy came to be...they, generally, just want it for as cheap as is possible.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 10-24-2017 at 02:35 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 02:33 PM

6,505 posts, read 4,122,655 times
Quote:
These so-called hard working Mexicans here illegally are stealing American jobs, resources and taxes to the tune of $113 billion a year. Only 2% of illegals are picking crops and for those jobs there are unlimited visas for legal, foreign workers so you were saying? While the growers pay these illegal aliens less than minimum wage they pass their enormous social costs on to we the taxpayer. The rest of the illegals have taken jobs from Americans in construction for example by working for less and you're ok with that? Educate yourself on this issue and learn some respect for the American worker and the rule of law.
If we are basically at zero unemployment (due to it nearly being impossible to get the unemployment below 4% as that is the U.S’s natural employment rate, what jobs are being stolen?)

Old 10-24-2017, 02:37 PM

20,268 posts, read 9,190,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
So what? I could careless what language someone speaks. All I ask is that they work hard, obey the law, and make their contributions to society. The language someone speaks in their home or among their friends is none of my business.

BTW: I guarantee most of these people are bilingual.
I agree, we should deport those here that are illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies