Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 02:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,252,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
This is appalling. Not for me, but for the children growing up in those homes. My grandparents were immigrants and they refused to let my parents speak anything other than English. My grandparents went to night school to learn to use proper English. I would hate to think how disadvantaged my parents and possibly myself would have been otherwise.
Do you realize how ridiculous you sound?

Those high achieving Asian American kids that you conservatives love to hold up as the holy grail of model minority groups? Guess what? A whole bunch of them are from homes where Engilsh isn’t spoken. Dare I say probably the majority of them.

Then you come in here with that same old worn out European immigrant narrative, which has been proven to be a huge lie. First generation European immigrants held fiercely to their languages and customs.

Tell that trite fib to someone else.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:03 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,816,095 times
I don't care what you speak at home. But if your kids are attending public school and causing increased costs to the school system because of a language barrier then perhaps it would be better that they practice at home as well.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:03 PM

24,026 posts, read 15,129,288 times
There are 8 houses on my cul de sac block. If I were a fly on the wall at dinner, i'll bet I would hear 2 families speaking Vietnamese, 1 Farsi, 1 Japanese, 3 English and 1, I have no clue, Eastern European.

So what?

Old 10-24-2017, 03:08 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,118,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
There are 8 houses on my cul de sac block. If I were a fly on the wall at dinner, i'll bet I would hear 2 families speaking Vietnamese, 1 Farsi, 1 Japanese, 3 English and 1, I have no clue, Eastern European.

So what?
Trump supporters get triggered by anything remotely different than the norm in their lives. They are very delicate snowflakes you know

Again, I don't see what the big deal is. Furthermore, most of these people are bilingual. They speak English in public, they just prefer to speak Spanish or Vietnamese or Chinese or whatever in the privacy of their home.

It's kinda odd, Trump supporters scream about how Obamacare is tyranny meanwhile here they are trying to regulate what language a person can speak in their own home

Old 10-24-2017, 03:10 PM

30,666 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Thank goodness there are hardworking Mexicans speaking Spanish getting the produce ready for the rest of the country. Some individuals fail to understand that 40% of produce is grown in California by these people to feed the rest of us and work at less than the minimum wage.
Democrats of yesterday: "but who is going to pick our cotton?"

Democrats of today: "but who is going to pick our grapes?"

Different day/year, same old racist party.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:12 PM

30,666 posts, read 18,295,618 times
Yes, it is a problem. I'm all for people being multi-lingual, etc., but it is troubling that so many here in this country--where English is the unifying language--are not learning English. You want to be a part of our society? Then you should at least make an effort to integrate.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:13 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,182,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
There you go with that color card again. Please see the error of your ways
Is he wrong? You think Asians, blacks or other Hispanics care so much what languages people speak in their own home?

Old 10-24-2017, 03:14 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,922,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Yes, it is a problem. I'm all for people being multi-lingual, etc., but it is troubling that so many here in this country--where English is the unifying language--are not learning English. You want to be a part of our society? Then you should at least make an effort to integrate.
Where are you getting that from? Dubious claim.

Second generation immigrants, as they ALWAYS have, learn English. If they also happen to speak English at home, then who really cares. This has been happening for as long a the US has existed. You're lacking historical perspective, and are blinded by your partisan beliefs.

This has happened with European immigrants, with Asian immigrants, with African immigrants, with Central/South American immigrants...and immigrants from anywhere else in the world. It likely happened with your ancestors, assuming your ancestors came to America from elsewhere.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:16 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,302,265 times
Not seeing the issue. If I decide to speak Klingon here in my house, why does that matter to everyone else?

I can speak English and so can the people in this article.

Maybe they're not flawless speakers, but they speak English a lot better than most of the people freaking out over this will ever speak Spanish... or Chinese... or Arabic... or (pick a language).

Old 10-24-2017, 03:16 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,959,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post

OP is predictable. We get it, you hate anything California or liberal for that matter. You live a perfect sheltered life in Nebraska. There is a reason Nebraska is flyover country.
The best thing about living in a place like KS or NE is there is no reason for blue-staters to come and visit. That and the traditional culture and values in the region make it sound pretty good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies