Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 11:10 PM

39,315 posts, read 27,699,206 times

Advertisements

It is not a big deal to me.

I speak four different languages at home, just to practice.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:21 PM

296 posts, read 232,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yes. Trump sup...certain people in this country only complain about brown people who speak foreign languages, specifically Hispanics.

I never hear any complaints about people who speak German, French, Italian, etc., in public. Pretty much just Spanish.
You don't hear complaints because there are no people speaking German, French, Italian, ect., in public. They learn English.

Old 10-25-2017, 04:59 AM

35,770 posts, read 21,139,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The next generation of Hispanics will turn into White guys. Inevitable. Same thing as happened with the Italians. They simply become assimilated and vanish as an ethnic group. My kids grandmother spoke fluent Italian and their mother spoke it exclusively until she was four. She however could only follow it as an adult and really could not speak it. If fact it was funny she would take part in an Italian conversation but respond in English which even the Italian only speakers could follow. My kids aren't even remotely Italian. They have moved on and favor their Irish side if anything.

And that is exactly what will happen with the Hispanics. Our gardeners kids are perfectly bilingual but their children will mostly not speak Spanish and their grand children will not speak it at all. And they will inter marry with the rest of the society further assimilating.

First Hispanics are mostly WHITE- but we know what you mean- the problem is numbers- now other is more than the "white guys" -- and their numbers are shrinking- this is white America's fear right now and why they screaming so hard-
In the great scope of things- what goes around, comes around- this land did not belong to the white guys- but now-- we all will live together. one way or another

Old 10-25-2017, 05:02 AM

35,770 posts, read 21,139,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire1 View Post
You don't hear complaints because there are no people speaking German, French, Italian, ect., in public. They learn English.
Europeans with thier pompous arsess- get strict education making it easier for them to learn- let see how fast they learn the different Muslim dialects

Old 10-25-2017, 05:10 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,185,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
And rightly so. The Germans, French, Italians, etc., weren't imported by the government to vote against the natives.
Look at this post. Exhibit A, Finn. ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire1 View Post
That's simply just not true at all.

These posts are so ridiculous, I don't even know where to start.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:28 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,736,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
Yeah, let's gas them to death. Infestations need to be eradicated. MAGA
You are not the first Trump supporter here who thinks mass murder is the only solution, or should I say "final solution" to the immigration issue.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,736,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Yes. Trump sup...certain people in this country only complain about brown people who speak foreign languages, specifically Hispanics.

I never hear any complaints about people who speak German, French, Italian, etc., in public. Pretty much just Spanish.
Yes, I agree. Now your earlier comment makes sense. Thanks you.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:50 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,292,041 times
I wonder how many American ex pats living overseas learn Spanish, Portuguese , Croatian, French , or whatever the native language there is so they can speak it in their own homes? No doubt many learn enough to communicate with the locals outside the home, but choose to speak it in their own homes because that is the language of where they live? Not many, Im betting.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:50 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,833,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
This thread is asinine.

My parents did not do me any disservice speaking their native language in our home. Rather, it enhanced my ability to learn other languages. We barely spoke English in the house growing up, yet my brother and I are both fully assimilated, possibly with higher levels of proficiency in English than many others whose families have been in America for generations. And if you happened to talk to me on the phone? You would think you were talking to a white chick with a vaguely midwestern sounding accent.

Don't make assumptions about people. Go beyond your bubble and get to know immigrants and their families on a personal level. You will find a lot of your assumptions debunked rather quickly.
My Eastern European inlaws ( deceased) came here as Displaced Persons ( refugees) in 1950. They never learned to speak or understand English. This did not prevent them from being employed, paying taxes, owning property or becoming US citizens. English was a second and eventually third language for their children.

The majority of Europeans are bi/ multi- lingual. It's viewed as an asset. Signage in most European cities is bilingual.

Old 10-25-2017, 05:52 AM

19,718 posts, read 16,887,753 times
How does what someone else speaks in their own home affect anyone else ? My dad and granddad spoke Russian in our home, didn't make us Communists.

"How dare they speak Spanish, we are in 'Murica now ! Speak 'Murican !"

I bet is any of you moved to France, you would still speak English in your own homes, so why is this any different ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies