Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 11:06 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,105,942 times

Advertisements

Lol @ her keeping a picture of people picking cotton to remind her of what hard work looks like.

Anyone who has ever worked hard doesn't need a constant reminder.

Hand picking cotton isn't hard work, by the way. It's unpleasant, especially if it's hot out. Anything a 6 year old can do is not hard work ... picking cotton, fruit, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 11:10 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,830,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Americans. It's not longer OK to refer to yourself as a "hard worker" because the term is offensive to the "Slave Experience".

MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry claims the term 'hard worker' is an insult to slaves | Daily Mail Online

"I keep a picture of slaves on my wall to remind me of how it represents what hard work is"

WHAT?

Anyone who keeps a picture of slaves on their wall is a sick person who lives in the distant past. She isn't doing it to remind herself of hard work, but to constantly remind her to hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post
Lol @ her keeping a picture of people picking cotton to remind her of what hard work looks like.

Hand picking cotton isn't hard work, by the way. It's unpleasant, especially if it's hot out. Anything a 6 year old can do is not hard work ... picking cotton, fruit, etc.
EXACTLY!

BTW, picking cotton is hard work. Hard on the back, and rips up the fingers. The thorns are frikk'in sharp.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:13 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Almost as fun as telling others what to think about this this woman's rant.

It's clear she is talking about slavery and you haven't made a convincing argument otherwise.
Funny assertion since you started this tread with the statements "Americans. It's not longer OK to refer to yourself as a "hard worker" because the term is offensive to the "Slave Experience".

No where does Melissa Harris-Perry refer to the quoted "Slave Experience". Kind of hard to prove a negative. You only have your assumption that she was referring to the
"Slave Experience."

One can agree or disagree with her "rant" without adding to what she actually said.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:21 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,240,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySagacious View Post

Picking cotton IS hard work. Just like raisins. Just because a child can do something probably means it is fairly mindless. But it is hard physical work compared to what most of us do. Having said that, the MSNBC anchor is a still a twit.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:21 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,589,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
If you listen or read the complete statement then you would know of others who she includes as hard working and she does not limit hard workers to those picking cotton.

Yet she brings it up only in reference to slaves. Seems you have defended her bigotry in spite of all else she has done, which is continuing to insult those who have different opinions that her own.

If you are so worried about her, let her defend herself.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:31 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,848,623 times
Maybe the people in the picture she is referring to are the illegals that her party exploits, even stating they are here to do the work that Americans don't want to do, for wages they won't work for. Gee, what does that sound like?

Old 10-28-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Yet she brings it up only in reference to slaves. Seems you have defended her bigotry in spite of all else she has done, which is continuing to insult those who have different opinions that her own.

If you are so worried about her, let her defend herself.
Harris-Perry never referenced slavery, so I don't see how you can infer that she only brought it up in reference to slavery.

Feel free to dislike Melissa Harris-Perry or disagree with the point she was making. However, I would think that you would want to do so based on what she actually said or did, not what some are claiming she did or said.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:36 AM

756 posts, read 426,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
No where does Melissa Harris-Perry refer to the quoted "Slave Experience". Kind of hard to prove a negative.
Ok, let's do a little mental exercise and please answer honestly...

Let's say someone were to offer you a million dollars to correctly choose one of the following but you HAD to pick one of the following two choices.
Let's also say that whomever was offering the money knew the absolute truth of what she meant by her comment. Pretend we have the ability to read minds or perhaps Melissa Harris-Perry
was running the contest herself.

Ready?

A) She was making a reference to slavery when she corrected her guest.

or

B) She was not.

I would really LOVE to hear which one you would choose if there were a million dollars on the line and you had to pick one choice.

I know which one I'd choose and I'd very likely be thinking of what to spend the money on shortly afterwards.

Which one would YOU choose? Would you say you really can't be certain and forfeit the money?
Would you really choose choice B?

Old 10-28-2015, 11:41 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,105,942 times
Hard work is subjective, I suppose. I have picked cotton and I disagree that it's especially hard work. As I said, it's unpleasant. And I have seen groups of migrant pickers work all day and then party most of the night.

Mentally challenging work is more exhausting for most people.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
Ok, let's do a little mental exercise and please answer honestly...

Let's say someone were to offer you a million dollars to correctly choose one of the following but you HAD to pick one of the following two choices.
Let's also say that whomever was offering the money knew the absolute truth of what she meant by her comment. Pretend we have the ability to read minds or perhaps Melissa Harris-Perry
was running the contest herself.

Ready?

A) She was making a reference to slavery when she corrected her guest.

or

B) She was not.

I would really LOVE to hear which one you would choose if there were a million dollars on the line and you had to pick one choice.

I know which one I'd choose and I'd very likely be thinking of what to spend the money on shortly afterwards.

Which one would YOU choose? Would you say you really can't be certain and forfeit the money?
Would you really choose choice B?
I saw the interview live on tv. When I heard it, I did not think she was making a reference to slavery. Didn't even occur to me that it might be a reference to slavery. I was surprised to see the headline, but then I hadn't watched the whole segment, so I thought she must have said something else when I wasn't watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies