Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 08:54 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,695,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Did Melissa Harris-Perry mention slavery? Did working in cotton fields end with slavery?
Did you read the article I linked in the OP? If you did, you wouldn't need to ask this question. That is, of course, if your purpose for asking was to learn about what was said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 08:56 AM

2,846 posts, read 2,975,062 times
She has issues. All the crew on MSNBC have issues. They are so overly dramatic, always waving their arms, laughing at wrong times, and just straight odd balls.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:57 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,444,147 times
Quote:
Why is slavery even connected to Harris-Perry's point? She didn't mention slavery.
Did I say she mentioned slavery? I was correcting the toughts of a wayward poster, he'll be back in the fold soon once we educate him...right comrade?

Slavery never comes up when talking to black people, so I totally get your confusion as to why someone would go there.

Old 10-28-2015, 08:59 AM

6,403 posts, read 6,294,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Another case of the left trying to control speech. She is the PC police.
Every employer wants to hire hard workers.
You mean the right.

Isn't that the point of this entire thread- controlling speech?

I'm guess the irony is lost on most.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:03 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,692,585 times
Quote:
Why is slavery even connected to Harris-Perry's point? She didn't mention slavery.
She is mentally disturbed, her guests need to couch their words because Melissa has mental issues.

"I want us to be super careful when we use the language ‘hard worker’ because I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields on my office wall because it is a reminder about what hard work looks like," Melissa Harris-Perry said.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:04 AM

45,256 posts, read 26,506,671 times
Critiquing the opinion isnt the same as saying she doesn't have a right to one.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:08 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,852,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Did you read the article I linked in the OP? If you did, you wouldn't need to ask this question. That is, of course, if your purpose for asking was to learn about what was said.
Not only did I read the article, but I watched the linked video. It doesn't surprise me at all the Daily Mail would take liberties with what she said; particularly in their headline.

What she said from the article.

"because I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields"

What the Daily Mail claimed in there bullet points under the headline.

She explained she kept a picture of slaves working in cotton fields as a reminder of what 'hard work' looks like
Read more: MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry claims the term 'hard worker' is an insult to slaves | Daily Mail Online

Harris-Perry never mentions slaves.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
You mean the right.

Isn't that the point of this entire thread- controlling speech?

I'm guess the irony is lost on most.
Perry stops her guest for not being politically correct with her words, and cautions her to not use the innocuous phrase of "hard working," and you think drawing attention to this is proof of an irony from the right?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:11 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,852,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
She is mentally disturbed, her guests need to couch their words because Melissa has mental issues.

"I want us to be super careful when we use the language ‘hard worker’ because I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields on my office wall because it is a reminder about what hard work looks like," Melissa Harris-Perry said.
So where in the quote is the mention of slavery. Did working in cotton fields only occur when slavery was legal in the United States?

Old 10-28-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Not only did I read the article, but I watched the linked video. It doesn't surprise me at all the Daily Mail would take liberties with what she said; particularly in their headline.

What she said from the article.

"because I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields"

What the Daily Mail claimed in there bullet points under the headline.

She explained she kept a picture of slaves working in cotton fields as a reminder of what 'hard work' looks like[LEFT]
Read more: MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry claims the term 'hard worker' is an insult to slaves | Daily Mail Online

Harris-Perry never mentions slaves.
Good grief, so now pretending to be as dense as a lump of coal is your defense? Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies