Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2015, 12:21 PM

756 posts, read 426,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I saw the interview live on tv. When I heard it, I did not think she was making a reference to slavery. Didn't even occur to me that it might be a reference to slavery. I was surprised to see the headline, but then I hadn't watched the whole segment, so I thought she must have said something else when I wasn't watching.
So, even now, you would bet a hypothetical million dollars that it wasn't reference to slavery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 12:49 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
So, even now, you would bet a hypothetical million dollars that it wasn't reference to slavery?
I have no idea how I would have responded to a hypothetical situation. I provided my honest impression at the time I heard the segment live.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:55 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,937,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The bigger question: Who keeps pictures of slaves in the cotton fields on their office wall?
Evidently...Melissa hyphenated name.

Old 10-28-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I have no idea how I would have responded to a hypothetical situation. I provided my honest impression at the time I heard the segment live.
No. Right now. Pretend that someone is offering you a million dollars right now to choose if she meant the comment to be a reference to slavery or not.
You would honestly say you have no idea and turn down the money?

Old 10-28-2015, 01:14 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,585,008 times
MSNBC is an insult to television

Old 10-28-2015, 01:19 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
No. Right now. Pretend that someone is offering you a million dollars right now to choose if she meant the comment to be a reference to slavery or not.
You would honestly say you have no idea and turn down the money?
The problem with your hypothetical is its relies on game theory and other factors. Any number of times I've seen people talk themselves out of the correct answer for various reasons. I've seen myself do it on tests or exams because of how a question was worded.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
The problem with your hypothetical is its relies on game theory and other factors. Any number of times I've seen people talk themselves out of the correct answer for various reasons. I've seen myself do it on tests or exams because of how a question was worded.
How it's worded? There are two possible choices, either she meant it as a reference to slavery or she didn't. How is that being tricky or disingenuous?

I'm just asking, whichever you believe in, if you had an opportunity to win a million dollars, which option would you pick?
I'm just curious about the people here claiming that we don't really know what she meant, how strongly you actually believe that.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:41 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,937,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Another case of the left trying to control speech. She is the PC police.
Every employer wants to hire hard workers.

It is the recipe of Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals".
Attack, attack, attack relentlessly until your opponent bores with you so you can call it victory.

Old 10-28-2015, 01:43 PM

27,839 posts, read 16,347,162 times
sexual maybe, racist? no.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,547,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Americans. It's not longer OK to refer to yourself as a "hard worker" because the term is offensive to the "Slave Experience".

MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry claims the term 'hard worker' is an insult to slaves | Daily Mail Online

It's ok to call oneself a hard worker as long as it is understood that slaves were harder workers. Relatively speaking, I'm a soft worker since I work in an office.

[]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies