Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 06:22 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,861,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunswithguns View Post
I didn't read the link or read through this whole thread, obviously this is a huge trend and that's what I'm focused on.

Really, why aren't black people standing up and protesting this garbage? Liberals are using them hardcore. It would be amazing to see African Americans in uproar over their constant portrayal as victims. Instead its more of an amplification, they seem to embrace victimhood the more its discussed, or at least the ones that are willing to come out and voice they're opinion to the world.
What was actually said. Note that there is no reference to Slaves or the Slave experience.

Melissa Harris-Perry Scolds Guest to Be 'Super Careful' About Saying 'Hard Worker' Because Of Slavery - Washington Free Beacon

ALFONSO AGUILAR: But let’s be fair. If there’s somebody who is a hard worker when he goes to Washington, it’s Paul Ryan. Not only works with the Republicans but Democrats. You know very well that I work on [the] immigration issue, trying to get Republicans to support immigration reform. Paul Ryan is somebody who has supported immigration reform, has worked with somebody like Luis Gutierrez. Luis Gutierrez is very respectful, speaks highly of Paul Ryan. This is somebody who’s trying to govern.

MELISSA HARRIS-PERRY: Alfonso, I feel you. But I just want to pause on one thing. Because I don’t disagree with you that I actually think Mr. Ryan is a great choice for this role. But I want us to be super careful when we use the language “hard worker,” because I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields on my office wall, because it is a reminder about what hard work looks like. So, I feel you that he’s a hard worker. I do. But in the context of relative privilege, and I just want to point out that when you talk about work-life balance and being a hard worker, the moms who don’t have health care who are working–
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 06:31 PM

254 posts, read 146,639 times
I watched the video, so basically, she went full ratchet on air, "yall do dat yall do dat".

Still, my earlier post is just in relation to the whole victimhood trend.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:59 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,969,819 times
Dear, dear Melissa, has to stir the pot and keep controversies going. In this regard she is a bit like Jesse and Rev. Al. That is their bread and butter. They find it harder to tag someone a racist so they come up with these 'code words' that show closet rascisses.
Now, I am not sure it works but it could be fun trying to figure out which words are offensive! One might say boy it is sure hot out here today! Implying that only slaves had to work in the hot sun! Or, wow, a cold glass of water would sure be refreshing. The water is the refreshment a hardworking slave barely received. I bet the next words to be made evil by Melissa will be 'cardigan sweater'! If i have to tell you why then you have way too much white privilege.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:07 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,935,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The bigger question: Who keeps pictures of slaves in the cotton fields on their office wall?
Makes perfect sense really. Liberals are all about grievance politics. Liberals must ensure that black people always and forever stay hung up on the past, so as to prevent them from ever moving forward... They have to make sure that black people keep thinking of themselves as victims. It's through this strategy that Liberalism survives as an ideology.

So Perry, as the black Liberal woman that she is, keeps that picture there to remind herself everyday why she hates the white race, this country, and everything it stands for, lest she ever forget why she harbors such hatred. That picture keeps her firmly grounded in Liberalism. It ensures she retains her latent anger forevermore and can keep on fighting a war that ended 150 years ago.

The Democratic party itself symbolizes the picture of African slaves hanging on the wall of America. Always there to remind us of our terrible past and demanding that we feel perpetually guilty and self-loathing.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:40 AM

7,647 posts, read 9,998,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The Democratic party itself symbolizes the picture of African slaves hanging on the wall of America. Always there to remind us of our terrible past and demanding that we feel perpetually guilty and self-loathing.
Why is our past so terrible? Most countries had slaves through history. Even the bible seems to condone it. Some countries still turn a blind eye.

It's not my problem what happened 300 years ago. My state didn't even exist. Just like it isn't every chinaman's fault that Ghengis Kahn came from Mongolia just because it's a Red satilite now.

I agree though, get rid of the demonrat party, and the republicrates too. Time for a reset.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:11 AM

756 posts, read 426,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Why is our past so terrible? Most countries had slaves through history. Even the bible seems to condone it. Some countries still turn a blind eye.

It's not my problem what happened 300 years ago. My state didn't even exist. Just like it isn't every chinaman's fault that Ghengis Kahn came from Mongolia just because it's a Red satilite now.

I agree though, get rid of the demonrat party, and the republicrates too. Time for a reset.
Not only that, but even in our own past, we had something called the Triangle Trade where African Kings and rulers participated and profited from the slave trade. Liberals like to selectively forget that because it doesn't fit in with the white guilt narrative.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:12 AM

21,534 posts, read 10,663,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I posted the actual quote. What she actually said, not what some think she said or claimed she said.

Her point may be weak or irritating, but no where did she introduce race. She didn't say white privilege which I'm pretty sure is a term with which she is familiar. She said relative privilege, if she meant white privilege I'm pretty sure she would have said it.

In my opinion her interjecting her pet peeve on the use of the expression "hard work" did detract from the rest of the segment which was on Paul Ryan's support for hard workers other than himself. The privilege in this case being Ryan's ability to dictate his own work hours with set aside for family time, when many if not most workers (hard or otherwise) don't have that option.
It's her show, so she can say whatever she wants. It's really just the way she said it that irritates people, though others have said similar things. Even conservative pundits like Laura Ingraham. I heard Laura Ingraham make a similar argument about Paul Ryan, that lots of people who work have to spend time away from family. Basically, she said, what about all those others who have to travel for their jobs? I was thinking about train conductors and other workers, linemen who go across the country after storms to fix electrical lines, oil rig workers, etc. All those people spend lots of time away from their families because they have to for their jobs. Paul Ryan chose that job, and he's probably a multi-millionaire because of it.

No, what I have a problem with is the guy was saying that Ryan is a hard worker in congress, wants to govern and make smart legislation, yada yada yada. Then Melissa comes back with, oh you can't call him a hard worker because y'all like to call women who work hard for their families with no healthcare failures.

No one calls women who work hard failures. They don't like people who don't work at all because there is a perception that there are people having baby after baby so they can get more benefits from the government. I don't necessarily agree with this perception, but there are just enough people out there doing that and getting attention, that it makes people believe it's pervasive.

Last edited by katygirl68; 10-30-2015 at 08:22 AM..

Old 10-30-2015, 08:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,727,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Americans. It's not longer OK to refer to yourself as a "hard worker" because the term is offensive to the "Slave Experience".

MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry claims the term 'hard worker' is an insult to slaves | Daily Mail Online
I don't think there's anyone left alive who was a slave with experience.

Well there might be one exception. Sheila Jackson referred to herself as a "freed slave".
That woman does look real good for someone over 150 years old.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:48 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,071,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Americans. It's not longer OK to refer to yourself as a "hard worker" because the term is offensive to the "Slave Experience".

MSNBC's Melissa Harris-Perry claims the term 'hard worker' is an insult to slaves | Daily Mail Online
I bet when she tries to renew her contract she will say she is a hard worker. She certainly can't claim she has good ratings.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:52 AM

20,504 posts, read 12,444,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
What was actually said. Note that there is no reference to Slaves or the Slave experience.

Melissa Harris-Perry Scolds Guest to Be 'Super Careful' About Saying 'Hard Worker' Because Of Slavery - Washington Free Beacon

ALFONSO AGUILAR: But let’s be fair. If there’s somebody who is a hard worker when he goes to Washington, it’s Paul Ryan. Not only works with the Republicans but Democrats. You know very well that I work on [the] immigration issue, trying to get Republicans to support immigration reform. Paul Ryan is somebody who has supported immigration reform, has worked with somebody like Luis Gutierrez. Luis Gutierrez is very respectful, speaks highly of Paul Ryan. This is somebody who’s trying to govern.

MELISSA HARRIS-PERRY: Alfonso, I feel you. But I just want to pause on one thing. Because I don’t disagree with you that I actually think Mr. Ryan is a great choice for this role. But I want us to be super careful when we use the language “hard worker,” because I actually keep an image of folks working in cotton fields on my office wall, because it is a reminder about what hard work looks like. So, I feel you that he’s a hard worker. I do. But in the context of relative privilege, and I just want to point out that when you talk about work-life balance and being a hard worker, the moms who don’t have health care who are working–
yea.

putting Perry in context she is still and utter and complete idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies