Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 03:16 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,868,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
No one physically picks cotton in the modern world, not since the first mechanical machines in the late 1940s were introduced. Even the earliest versions replaced 40 manual laborers. So she really needs the way-back machine to look to cotton picking as her example, since Melissa is not old enough to have actually seen it for herself.

Harvesting tomatoes by hand might be a little more recent, since manual laborers ended in the 1980 with the introduction of machines, which today can harvest up to 40 tons per hour.

Strawberry picking on the other hand, still seems to need that gentle touch, but automated machines are now being designed and used.
Have you ever actually researched the conditions of farm workers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6s4YAOISns
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 03:17 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,721,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitgotitgood View Post
Why would she pause a guest and say we have to be careful about talking about people working hard?
The picture that she keeps to remind herself isn't offensive it's the notion that the term "hard work" shouldn't be used because it invokes slavery in some way.

She didn't come right out and say it because she was trying to be coy about it. It's pretty clear what she was inferring, if she wasn't, why call someone out for referring to hard work?
Maybe Melissa does not like cotton, or hates nasty fossil fuel burning cotton picking machines, which are air-conditioned for comfort. It doesn't get any closer to "hard work" than that in my book.

The John Deere 9940 cotton picker was manufactured in the Waterloo, Iowa plant for the agricultural giant, with these machines produced primarily during the 1980s.

The machine featured a two-wheel-drive axle and came with a standard four-row picking system. The diesel engine powers the massive machine, which came standard with a large cab and air conditioning.

I'll bet you could add a CD player or MP3 player very easily.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Have you ever actually researched the conditions of farm workers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6s4YAOISns
We are talking about Melissa Harris-Perry's comment about cotton picking, which is picked by machines, with large air-conditioned cabs.

Or are you going to further derail this discussion into your comment about harvesting tomatoes, which are also picked my machine? And yes, living in rural Wisconsin I know about farm workers, but they don't pick cotton here.

Old 10-28-2015, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
where were you pickin' cotton that had thorns?

i've never seen such a thing.
I lived in the cotton growing center of San Joaquin Valley for many years, all i ever saw were cotton machines picking and baling cotton.

If you were to pick by hand, the dried leaves and branches a scratchy, and like any extended period of time that you work with your hands when it comes to plants, you wear gloves.

One old woman's recollection of picking cotton 60-70 years ago.

Picking Cotton By Hand In The South

Old 10-28-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I lived in the cotton growing center of San Joaquin Valley for many years, all i ever saw were cotton machines picking and baling cotton.

If you were to pick by hand, the dried leaves and branches a scratchy, and like any extended period of time that you work with your hands when it comes to plants, you wear gloves.

One old woman's recollection of picking cotton 60-70 years ago.

Picking Cotton By Hand In The South
Was the woman a slave? No. How can that be if all references to picking cotton are about slaves picking cotton?

Old 10-28-2015, 04:33 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,594,895 times
Quote:
Was the woman a slave? No. How can that be if all references to picking cotton are about slaves picking cotton?
Why do you continue to dismiss actual facts in the process of supporting a lie?

Old 10-28-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Why do you continue to dismiss actual facts in the process of supporting a lie?
They fact is Harris-Perry didn't mention slavery.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:02 PM

756 posts, read 427,150 times
Quote:
I believe it wasn't a reference to slavery.
Quote:
So I can take this to mean that if a million dollars were riding on picking the correct answer, you would still say it wasn't a reference to slavery?

If so, impressive.

I chose the question the way that I did because I think you are being argumentative just for the sake of being argumentative. I guess that's fun? I don't know. It seems like a waste of time to me.

But if you really and truly believe that a black female host on MSNBC with a history of talking about racism interrupts a guest to correct him and then references a picture in her office of people picking cotton and you think that ISN'T a reference to slavery... I don't know what to say. I applaud your convictions but literally no one talking about this in the media has made any other inference as to what she was talking about.

The term "picking cotton" itself is widely viewed as a reference to the American slave experience as well.

But I'm sure you'll continue to stand on your point that she didn't "specifically" mention slavery

Old 10-28-2015, 06:31 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,211,720 times
Wow.

People are completely out of touch. I can't believe how entitled she must feel to say that I never worked hard.

Where was she when I was in the middle east in 119 degree weather, pulling 14 hour shift, covered in chemicals, and lifting in excess of 300 lbs.

All of that so I could support her FASFA loans and lifestyle. When I got out, I was living in a dilapidated house with no heat and no AC while she was driving around in a luxury car, staring at herself in the mirror, and reminding herself how wonderful she was as she pretentiously displayed her wealth she earned at from the bloodshed of others.

I don't even get involved in politics. And this country has a huge problem with race, but I don't give a damn who you are or what you think you represent, you don't tell me that you didn't think I worked hard.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:40 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,594,895 times
Quote:
The fact is that she referred to it without mentioning it, a typical racist act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies