Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 10:26 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,553,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
It may not be much of a leap, but people are now attacking her for something she didn't say. There were multiple places in her statement where she could have made it racial or about slavery, but she didn't. Instead of folks she could have said slaves or instead of the relative privilege she could have said white privilege. But she did not. Its not like these terms would have been foreign to her.

I know in my own life there are times when I have complained about some trifling matter with by job or some other situation. At those times I have to remind myself how fortunate I am. I usually think back to some of the summer jobs I've had and the people who were not doing those jobs for just a summer. In my career there have been some unbelievable long weeks and months, but overall I've had it pretty good.

So Harris-Perry uses a picture of folks working in cotton fields to remind herself. That is offensive how?
Perhaps it is to show herself what "hard working" people look like since she has no experience with hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2015, 10:27 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Pray tell, what other class of people would she be keeping a picture of as an example of hard working?

She claims to think that no one not picking cotton is a hard worker.
If you listen or read the complete statement then you would know of others who she includes as hard working and she does not limit hard workers to those picking cotton.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:29 AM

Quote:
I believe she was referring to the very type of workers that you have mentioned. She didn't say slavery or that only slaves work hard.
And what you believe is relevant why? She made the statement and now it is your "hard" job to parse it?

Old 10-28-2015, 10:30 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Did slavery end?
No, it didn't, but my post on tax slavery in this thread was deleted by the moderator. I don't see the difference. Slavery is slavery. Period.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:32 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
If you listen or read the complete statement then you would know of others who she includes as hard working and she does not limit hard workers to those picking cotton.
Indeed she does, but she isn't brave enough to actually say it outright.

What she wanted to say is that Paul Ryan can't be a hard worker. He got to where he is on the backs of Slaves because Whites still benefit from slavery while Blacks are still held back by it.

Nothing more, nothing less. The only thing in question is the amount of weasel wording used to mask it as something else. Of course when weasel wording is the only think you know, then it becomes easy to create the nonsense that this woman did during that rant on TV.

The other panelists there should have immediately called he out on it, but then again we are talking about MSNBC.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
How do you know when the picture is from?
Why do you claim that it isn't? And to know when it is from?

Old 10-28-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Just not in her social class, right?

Old 10-28-2015, 10:44 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Indeed she does, but she isn't brave enough to actually say it outright.

What she wanted to say is that Paul Ryan can't be a hard worker. He got to where he is on the backs of Slaves because Whites still benefit from slavery while Blacks are still held back by it.

Nothing more, nothing less. The only thing in question is the amount of weasel wording used to mask it as something else. Of course when weasel wording is the only think you know, then it becomes easy to create the nonsense that this woman did during that rant on TV.

The other panelists there should have immediately called he out on it, but then again we are talking about MSNBC.
Think about how much fun we could have if we went around attacking people for the things we think they meant to say instead of what they actually said.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:52 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it didn't, but my post on tax slavery in this thread was deleted by the moderator. I don't see the difference. Slavery is slavery. Period.
Most of use have been a slave for a dollar and worked hard to keep the wolf from the door..

I worked in a sweat shop for a dollar an hour in my mid teen years in the late 60's along with Italians, blacks , Hispanics , Irish, Greeks and many others from different countries.

Old 10-28-2015, 10:55 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Think about how much fun we could have if we went around attacking people for the things we think they meant to say instead of what they actually said.
Almost as fun as telling others what to think about this this woman's rant.

It's clear she is talking about slavery and you haven't made a convincing argument otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies