Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 06:09 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
You also don't put people into situations that don't align with their beliefs.
Business owner put themselves into those positions by choosing to offer services. If making items for weddings is against your religion, don't open a business offering wedding services.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:10 PM

577 posts, read 435,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Homosexuals are sexual preditors. That is their nature. Don't tell me it isn't, because I have experienced it. The notes slipped under the door of my room at the YMCA when I was in art school, the guy that just happens to need to take a shower when I'm in their, jumping in and starting to play with himslef. Yes, they do that. Don't tell me they don't.

LOL... really? AAAHHHAAAA that's hysterical.

What do you think us women go through and put up with in straight men..LOL..

So.. every man that has ever slipped a note under my door, attempted to get close to me or sneak a peak, grabbed my butt, made sexual inuendos ... I could go on.. is a sexual predator now.. LOL

NO.. it's called being a man with hormones and trying to hit on the opposite, or in this case,the same sex..

ROTFL..

Think of all the times YOU made advances toward a women, then think of it from her perspective.. do you think YOu are a sexual predator? pfft...LOL

Old 01-29-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You must have ignored the part where I said they were CUSTOME MADE. No surprise.
And the business CHOSE to offer custom made cakes to the public. No one forced them to offer that service.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:26 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No, it's how humans interpreted the Bible and used it as justification for their racism. Just like anti-gays do as justification for their hatred of gays.
I stand by what I said:
Quote:
Right, but this was more of how the state interpreted it, not what Christianity said itself.
Humans interpret the Bible in many ways, both good and bad. It teaches mankind and guides its followers to what is right and what is wrong. I do not remember it mentioning anything about race. It has already been ruled by the SCOTUS that:

Quote:
Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival

Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:43 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,366,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Religion is not a license to discriminate and if they want to do business, then they need to follow the law that everyone has to follow, one religion does not give them the free pass to dicide who not to do business with. And being gay is not the same as barefoot or shirtless, stupid analogy.

You claim to have been born a homosexual and I don't dispute that, but I was born barefoot and shirtless.

Why do I have to follow the rules and you don't?

Old 01-29-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
You claim to have been born a homosexual and I don't dispute that, but I was born barefoot and shirtless.

Why do I have to follow the rules and you don't?
Being gay is against "the rules"...LOL... oooooohhhkay...

Old 01-29-2014, 06:53 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,441,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Is a religious belief not enough to follow your own conscience? Its a free world.. I support gay rights but those rights STOP when it interferes with another person's rights... For instance, you have a right to throw your fists into the air but those rights STOP when it touches another person's face..
What about personal beliefs? Should I have to provide banking services to black people against my conscience? (Purely hypothetical)

Old 01-29-2014, 07:00 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
LOL. so is women being hte lesser of the two sexes.. there are many things documented in the bible that would make people scratch their heads.. so why do you pick and choose which parts of the Bible to use to discriminate??
I never said everything in the Bible is right.

Many marry to have children, but I'm not saying that this is what every single married couple does. However, this is traditional belief that most people have with married heterosexual couples and many still do today.

I'm not saying gay couples can't raise children but their sexual relations will not allow them to have children
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
AS for not knowing that many people believed that blacks carried different diseases..LOL.. I suggest you read some literature about that time period and particularly the South and their attitudes toward Black folks..

Either way, they had a belief system that made them feel that Blacks were inferior and shouldn't mix with "their kind"..... doesn't make their discrimination of them right , just or acceptable.
I'm not sure that belief system is the appropriate word for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Business owner put themselves into those positions by choosing to offer services. If making items for weddings is against your religion, don't open a business offering wedding services.
Just curious: Do individual Religious Rights of individuals matter?

Old 01-29-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I never said everything in the Bible is right.
That's actually my point. How can you discern which items in the bible are right or wrong? In someones mind either the entire text is right or the entire text is wrong.. you can't say .. well I like this, so this is right , but I don't like this so in this case the bible is wrong. It's not logical. And I can't understand why Christians cherry pick what the WANT to believe out of the bible.

Quote:
Many marry to have children, but I'm not saying that this is what every single married couple does. However, this is traditional belief that most people have with married heterosexual couples and many still do today.

I'm not saying gay couples can't raise children but their sexual relations will not allow them to have children
I don't understand neccesarily how this relates to the topic at hand. We are talking about businesses discriminating against couples based on their own belief system, not neccesarily debating whether marriage between same sex couples is right or wrong.

Quote:
I'm not sure that belief system is the appropriate word for this.
But it is.. Christianity and believing in the Bible is a belief system. Someone believes that another race is inferior, that's their belief system. Your beliefs dictate how you treat and how you view others. Religious beliefs do that as well; they dictate how you treat and view others. Those that believe that gay marriage is wrong discriminate or don't recognize them and/or believe them inferior, sinners, whatever.. because their belief system dictates that.

Quote:
For clergy, yes it does. For a church, yes it does. If the church doesn't want to allow for gay ceremonies in their church, I'm okay with that... the dont' have to recognize it... as long as the laws of which ALL of us follows , regardless of religion, recognizes it - because we have a seperation of church and state.

AS for business owners, when you open up a public place of business and advertise that business, you can't cherry pick who comes into your facility and who doesn't. You have to serve everyone equally.. its what you sign up for when you open a public place of business.

However, I go back to my original statement; that if I were gay I wouldn't patronize a business who refused to do business with me or held animosity toward me because I'm gay.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:

As an individual? Yes.
As a business? No.

When an individual chooses to open a public business, they agree to serve the public. The also agree to follow the laws of the state that they are doing business in. If they can not follow the same laws, that all other businesses have to follow, because of their religious beliefs then they should not open a public business.

A persons personal religious beliefs do not give carte blanche to break the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies