Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 03:14 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,683,781 times

Advertisements

Is Obama going to hold military tribunals for these men, or will these people just keep taking yoga classes and read books for the next three years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 03:31 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Thanks!

From your previous post, you sounded like you didn't have a CLUE about how it works. I see you have a very simplistic grasp of the subject.

What you've failed to respond to is the fact that spending bills are almost NEVER single item acts. They're almost always large lists that include all kinds of things, some vital, others pure pork. The house has a strong pork habit, you know. So, funding for Gitmo would be buried in among lots of essential things that would be very difficult to veto.

So, now please explain, if you can, whether or not the president has line item veto authority. With that little ink stamp you mentioned and all, if you'd like to include that again in your cute little response.

If you get it right, you can proceed to the 4th grade level.
If I didnt understand, then why did you call me mr expert on the subject?

So now that you'r done being stupid, (as if thats ever going to end)

When did Obama veto Guatanamo funding?

Old 06-06-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You can add this to your civic homework

Washingtonpost.com: Court Strikes Down Line-Item Veto
I know about the line item veto, now why dont you answer the question?

Has Obama veto'd spending that would fund Guantanamo?

Old 06-06-2013, 03:58 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If I didnt understand, then why did you call me mr expert on the subject?

So now that you'r done being stupid, (as if thats ever going to end)
Look, I'm not smart. I don't have to be smart. Just smarter than you.

Quote:
When did Obama veto Guatanamo funding?
When congress sent him the "Here's funding for Gitmo only" bill.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:03 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,993,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Keep it open forever? War on terror must be won at all costs.

Do you have a list of how congressmen voted? I want to see who the rats are.

Yes, fight the War on Terror and against Truth Justice and the American Way by having a prison for political prisoners located in that bastian of Liberty Castro's Communist Cuba!!!!

Guantanamo is located in Cuba for we a perpetual lease on the land and the bay where it is located.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:10 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
And last year Congress gave him approval to take control in removing the prisoners. He hasn't.
So last year congress gave him approval to "take control" in removing the prisoners but this year they denied any funding for transfer as they have in the past, that doesn't make sense.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Look, I'm not smart. I don't have to be smart. Just smarter than you.
Or more willing to deflect from others are saying, which you're very good at
Quote:
When congress sent him the "Here's funding for Gitmo only" bill.
Thats not how it works and you know that..

Once again, when has Obama veto'd spending on Gitmo?

Old 06-06-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So last year congress gave him approval to "take control" in removing the prisoners but this year they denied any funding for transfer as they have in the past, that doesn't make sense.
Doesnt the military have control over the prisoners? Why wouldnt the military use funds they already receive to do that? Surely it would be cheaper to transfer them, rather than pay the army to fund and run a camp, right?

Old 06-06-2013, 06:36 PM

57,311 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Doesnt the military have control over the prisoners? Why wouldnt the military use funds they already receive to do that? Surely it would be cheaper to transfer them, rather than pay the army to fund and run a camp, right?
My understanding is that Guantanamo has different ground rules than Leavenworth or bases in war zones, if it were under their control there would be no need for the congressional vote last week. We have prisons in the US that could accept the detainees, even that would be a step in the right direction, release would be an improvement.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
My understanding is that Guantanamo has different ground rules than Leavenworth or bases in war zones, if it were under their control there would be no need for the congressional vote last week. We have prisons in the US that could accept the detainees, even that would be a step in the right direction, release would be an improvement.
And Congress has gave Obama the ability to move prisoners there. He refuses to. He refuses to do much of anything in a way that would show any sort of leadership out of him.

He is the very definition of a know nothing, do nothing president.

As I pointed out earlier, even Feinstein has called him out on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies