Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:17 PM

4,829 posts, read 6,934,579 times

Advertisements

Poll: US divided over torture, closing Guantanamo

WASHINGTON – Just over half of Americans say torture is at least sometimes justified to thwart terrorist attacks and the country is evenly divided over whether to close the Guantanamo Bay prison, according to a poll that underscores President Barack Obama's challenges in selling his terror-fighting policies.

Poll: US divided over torture, closing Guantanamo - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090603/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_ap_poll_obama_terrorism - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2009, 01:48 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,477,133 times
50% of Americans don't deserve anything, in all honesty. Can not believe my parents moved from Iran to a country that condones torture to any degree.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:50 PM

519 posts, read 689,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
50% of Americans don't deserve anything, in all honesty. Can not believe my parents moved from Iran to a country that condones torture to any degree.
They are free to move back Finkie. I don't know of too many people that would stand in their way if that's how they feel.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:51 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,716,790 times
Quote:
Yea, because the current ruler of Iran is so compassionate.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny B. Fury View Post
They are free to move back Finkie. I don't know of too many people that would stand in their way if that's how they feel.
You're right, because other countries are worse it's okay that we torture people here. Forgot about that! I'll leave so that all the reprehensible individuals can continue to run the show.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:52 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,179,319 times
"At the same time, Obama hasn't lost support — he has a strong 64 percent job-approval rating — and nearly half of Americans still think the country's headed in the right direction. That's despite bipartisan rebukes of the new president's ordered closure of the detention center in Cuba and former Vice President Dick Cheney's sustained criticism of Obama's approach to terrorism.

"The issues emerged in the poll as intensely partisan, with viewpoints largely split along ideological lines."

Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 PM

8,635 posts, read 9,147,998 times
Quote:
Pouring water over terrorists faces who planned the killing of thousands of Americans to extract vital info would be a cake walk for me and then I'd give them a trial then shoot them afterwards. How do you like those apples?

Old 06-03-2009, 01:53 PM

519 posts, read 689,196 times
Quote:
You're right, because other countries are worse it's okay that we torture people here. Forgot about that! I'll leave so that all the reprehensible individuals can continue to run the show.
That's why it's called a free country. Either you enjoy the freedoms or you don't. If you or your parents don't, then there's a big door waiting at the local international airport with your name on it.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:54 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,716,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"At the same time, Obama hasn't lost support — he has a strong 64 percent job-approval rating — and nearly half of Americans still think the country's headed in the right direction. That's despite bipartisan rebukes of the new president's ordered closure of the detention center in Cuba and former Vice President Dick Cheney's sustained criticism of Obama's approach to terrorism.

"The issues emerged in the poll as intensely partisan, with viewpoints largely split along ideological lines."
Makes zero sense. The American people are against all bailouts, condone waterboarding in special instances, and are pro-life, but support Obama. Hello, sheeple, anyone home?

Old 06-03-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Yea, because the current ruler of Iran is so compassionate.
Are you uncomfortable with the comparison? I mean isn't the whole dark side thing about stooping to the enemy's level? Mission accomplished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies