Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 12:49 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,218,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
If criminals are using illegal guns, how is having a gun ban going to reduce crime?
Never said it would. Likewise, how is having more guns going to reduce crime??

Old 12-28-2012, 12:51 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,135,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
So if that's the case, how will more guns reduce crime??
You'd have to separate and analyze the statistics for criminals committing crime against innocent victims but that becomes problematic.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,276,212 times
Quote:
If every one is walking around with a gun(or potential a gun) on their hip, people may be less likely to try shenanigans. If you know the person you want to rob is not carrying a gun or a weapon of any kind, you know you have nothing to fear. If people are allowed to carry, you never know who is armed, and could be taking your own life into your hands if you rob the wrong person

Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
As I said there is 90% gun ownership where I live. There is no gun violence and crime is minimal.

Does that mean that gun ownership prevents crime? There is some impact especially in keeping the undesirable element out but the bigger picture is that I'm not living next to a bunch of animals willing to take someone else's life over a few dollars.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't think you can draw any conclusions from the totals, most of the gun violence in this country is criminals shooting other criminals using weapons that have been obtained illegally.

Quote:
If every one is walking around with a gun(or potential a gun) on their hip, people may be less likely to try shenanigans. If you know the person you want to rob is not carrying a gun or a weapon of any kind, you know you have nothing to fear. If people are allowed to carry, you never know who is armed, and could be taking your own life into your hands if you rob the wrong person
Most of the victims of the shooting will carry a gun if they want to, a ban on conceal and carry will not deter them. How is having conceal and carry going to affect most of the shootings??

Old 12-28-2012, 01:00 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,276,212 times
Quote:
Most of the victims of the shooting will carry a gun if they want to, a ban on conceal and carry will not deter them. How is having conceal and carry going to affect most of the shootings??
Yes, those people would be called criminals, and it will deter all law abiding citizens. The law says I am not allowed to take my gun in certain places, how did that "gun free" zone in CT work out?

Old 12-28-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, those people would be called criminals, and it will deter all law abiding citizens. The law says I am not allowed to take my gun in certain places, how did that "gun free" zone in CT work out?
You still didn't answer my question. The vast majority of people getting shot have no problem breaking a law. Legalizing conceal and carry will not impact them. Do you disagree with this?

Old 12-28-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Most of the victims of the shooting will carry a gun if they want to, a ban on conceal and carry will not deter them.
Why should the victim have to break the law to begin with? Having said that where I live thankfully I don't have that issue about making a decision to illegally arm myself.

Quote:
How is having conceal and carry going to affect most of the shootings??
When a couple of animals get their heads blown off the other animals may think twice, that effect may be minimal but that's irrelevant because the victim should be able to defend themselves.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Why should the victim have to break the law to begin with? Having said that where I live thankfully I don't have that issue about making a decision to illegally arm myself.

When a couple of animals get their heads blown off the other animals may think twice, that effect may be minimal but that's irrelevant because the victim should be able to defend themselves.
Most of the victims of these shootings have criminal records, if they want to carry a gun a ban is not going to deter them. Lifting a ban is not going to change their behavior. Conceal and carry laws don't impact criminal on criminal violence.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:16 PM

46,345 posts, read 27,186,529 times
Quote:
Most of the victims of these shootings have criminal records, if they want to carry a gun a ban is not going to deter them. Lifting a ban is not going to change their behavior. Conceal and carry laws don't impact criminal on criminal violence.

Finally! So, you just blew your entire thread premise out of the water.....

It's not the law abiding person, it's the criminals.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies