Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2012, 07:22 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,212,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It costs money to register to vote. One has to pay for a stamp if they mail the form in, gasoline or bus fare if they drive a car or ride the bus to the registrars office, and money for food to give them the energy to walk it there if they do that.

The same applies to getting to a polling place.

What's so bad about requiring id?

Nothing is free.
Actually, I have never invested a dime into updating my voter registration, about 20 times, over my life. Always visited the BOE in passing and used their forms, even used their pen.

To come up with a photo id, assume I didn't have one, I would have to get a new birth certificate by returning to my birth state and county. I would have to provide the proper documentation to that records department. Might need to visit several places to gather that documentation, first. I believe the birth certificate takes at least a week to produce. If all goes well, they mail it to me in a week or two. Cost, about $28.50 and several hours of my time. Say I need a SS card, I would have to Invest the same kinda time and effort. Now I can go get my state issued ID and hope they issue it based on the documents I have. Cost, about $12 with a multitude of huddles.

You need to look at this process from the perspective of the ppl that live without an ID, mostly they are poor to extremely poor. They have little or no access to a car, on average a car costs about $8,000 a year to own and operate, well beyond the means of many. By my estimate, I would need to travel about 180 miles and invest about 8 to 10 hours into record collection, travel and waiting in lines spread over a month or more. I make a mistake, don't have the right papers or hit a road block and "costs" balloon.

Not sure about anyone else's state, but my state is scaling back office hours for local, county and state offices. Offices that were open 9 to 5, 5 days a week might be open Monday, Wednesday and Friday now. Long lines, busy signals and delayed responses are the new normal.

If you're going to impose a NEW requirement on a voter it is incumbent on you to streamline the path to fulfilling that requirement. Anything less and these ALEC ID laws are voter suppression laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:32 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,945,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If she's "not all there" then why would or why should this person vote?
Just a couple of posts ago, you said this thread was about an American citizen needing ID, NOT about voting. Sheesh--would you make up your mind?

Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,616,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It costs money to register to vote. One has to pay for a stamp if they mail the form in, gasoline or bus fare if they drive a car or ride the bus to the registrars office, and money for food to give them the energy to walk it there if they do that.

The same applies to getting to a polling place.

What's so bad about requiring id?

Nothing is free.
I think I might have passed a booth for a political group with forms for registering voters and they helped, it took little effort. I went to the polls on foot, I don't think the amount of calories burned was significant.

Many elderly and non-drivers have expired ID, it's a tedious process to get an ID.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
how about CONFORM to society

yes she has a need..EVERYONE has a need to show who they are

quit being SELFISH..just because you dont want to conform to society
Clearly, EVERYONE doesn't have a need to show who they are. If they aren't going to places that demand an ID, if they aren't doing things that require licenses, then they don't have a need for an ID. And it's not society that's demanding that they get an ID.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:47 AM

20,131 posts, read 16,213,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Just a couple of posts ago, you said this thread was about an American citizen needing ID, NOT about voting. Sheesh--would you make up your mind?
I'm Oldhag, who indeed said it was about IDs, you are quoting Oldglory. I haven't changed my mind.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,212,005 times
Heading out to get a copy of my birth certificate now... City of Cleveland - Department of Public Health - Health Information - Health Statistics

Estimate, 65 miles, three hours and $25.00 plus.

Seems I need a photo id to get a birth certificate, and a need a birth certificate to get a photo id... Anyone notice the problem I will encounter???

Quote:
The cost is $25.00 for each certified copy. You may pay the cashiers using cash, check or a money order (Must have an Ohio personal check and Ohio driver's license).

Old 08-15-2012, 07:57 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,050,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I dunno 'bout Hitler, but state licensing agencies routinely survey long term care facilities.
The surveyor will expect individual patients to be properly identified.
SORRY.
I DO that - I am a NY State Certified Long Tern Care Facility Ombudsman, and in all my visits I have never asked for, nor been requested by the State to ask for, an ID for any resident.

Now - some facilities (maybe all) DO take pictures of the residents when they enter so the staff is able to identify them. But that does not serve as a valid State issued ID.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:58 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,338,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Clearly, EVERYONE doesn't have a need to show who they are. If they aren't going to places that demand an ID, if they aren't doing things that require licenses, then they don't have a need for an ID. And it's not society that's demanding that they get an ID.
At the very minimum everyone needs a state ID to function in this society unless they never get sick, never fly, never cash a check or open a bank acct. and the list goes on and on. Just what are the odds that someone would never do any of those things in their entire lives?

Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I'm Oldhag, who indeed said it was about IDs, you are quoting Oldglory. I haven't changed my mind.
Darn! I apologize to you for getting you confused with Oldglory. Mea culpa.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
At the very minimum everyone needs a state ID to function in this society unless they never get sick, never fly, never cash a check or open a bank acct. and the list goes on and on. Just what are the odds that someone would never do any of those things in their entire lives?
I've never used an ID for medical reasons, I have used it to fly, but there are many Americans who don't fly, I don't cash checks, I deposit them, and I've had the same bank account for decades, and didn't need ID to open the bank account all those years ago. I haven't been asked for identification once in the past five years (except to vote-where it isn't required, but it is requested). Not to purchase alcohol, not even to make a credit card purchase (though they keep asking me for my zip code when I make debit purchases at retail stores).

The simple fact of the matter is that while I drive and so do have ID, it's not something that I actually use. And I don't carry it on me at all times. I don't carry it on me when I walk the dog. Quite often, when I go out to a function, I don't carry it on me. If I go out with friends to a movie, I often leave it at home because cash is all I need and I can put that in a pocket, and leave the pocketbook at home.

I've know several elderly women in my area who've never needed ID for any reason. They don't drive, their husbands do all the driving. They don't work outside the home. They simply don't need any ID. And to demand that they get an ID in order to vote is putting an impediment in the way of their voting. It may not be a major impediment, but it's still an impediment. And that is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies