Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2012, 09:24 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
WHY?
SHe pointed out that her mother did not have a need for an ID.
how about CONFORM to society

yes she has a need..EVERYONE has a need to show who they are

quit being SELFISH..just because you dont want to conform to society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 09:37 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
how about CONFORM to society

yes she has a need..EVERYONE has a need to show who they are

quit being SELFISH..just because you dont want to conform to society

OH I forgot - the Nursing Home Police are going into all the Assisted Living's and Nursing Homes and requiring all the residents to "show who they are." When do they do this? During meal time, or is it a part of their recreational activities?

Just like Hitler did!

Get those armbands ready!

I have a slew of ID's because I need them for my own lifestyle. Other people have lifestyles that do not require picture ID's.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
OH I forgot - the Nursing Home Police are going into all the Assisted Living's and Nursing Homes and requiring all the residents to "show who they are." When do they do this? During meal time, or is it a part of their recreational activities?

Just like Hitler did!

I have a slew of ID's because I need them for my own lifestyle. Other people have lifestyles that do not require picture ID's.
oh...now we are going to jump from a senior who cant alsway get out or have an id to a nursing home invalid.....

and there you have it folk...the first sign of a losing arguement...deflect

Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
you DID say "not all there"

dementia/alzheimers/senility is being "not all there"
Well, G*d d*mn it, she did not have dementia! She was my mother and I know her better than you! Anyway, she died three months after she got here and there were no elections during that time period. ARE YOU HAPPY?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:34 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,089,978 times
Quote:
WHY?
SHe pointed out that her mother did not have a need for an ID.
Exactly what I have pointed out with regards to my mother in her final years as well.

Lots & lots of people do not have an y need for an ID, are physically frail or have difficulty getting around, but are mentally sound and have voted all their lives & wish to continue voting, but many of these new ID laws prevent them from voting.
Well, if there is a voter ID law, and they wanted to vote, then, voila! There is now a need for an ID! I am willing to bet that there is no situation where some accommodation couldn't be made to get a mentally fit person the ID they would need to be able to vote, if it were made mandatory. For the relatively small number of people who do not already have ID the cost would be minimal. It probably wouldn't cost the average taxpayer more than a dollar a year to cover the expense. Most people who want the ID requirement would never complain about the cost.

If implemented properly the only people who would be prevented from voting, would be people unwilling to do anything to exercise their right to vote. If they are that complacent then screw em.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Well, if there is a voter ID law, and they wanted to vote, then, voila! There is now a need for an ID! I am willing to bet that there is no situation where some accommodation couldn't be made to get a mentally fit person the ID they would need to be able to vote, if it were made mandatory. For the relatively small number of people who do not already have ID the cost would be minimal. It probably wouldn't cost the average taxpayer more than a dollar a year to cover the expense. Most people who want the ID requirement would never complain about the cost.

If implemented properly the only people who would be prevented from voting, would be people unwilling to do anything to exercise their right to vote. If they are that complacent then screw em.
So freakin' what? A "minimal" cost is still a poll tax, and that is UNCONSTITUTIONAL! Surely you RWs have come across that in your daily reading of the constitution?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:59 PM

9,143 posts, read 5,807,618 times
Quote:

Just like Hitler did!

I dunno 'bout Hitler, but state licensing agencies routinely survey long term care facilities.
The surveyor will expect individual patients to be properly identified.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:35 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
.EVERYONE has a need to show who they are
What need is that?

I don't to show who I am - unless there is a good reason - which would likely involve me making a voluntary choice to do something - such as vote or fly.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So freakin' what? A "minimal" cost is still a poll tax, and that is UNCONSTITUTIONAL! Surely you RWs have come across that in your daily reading of the constitution?
It costs money to register to vote. One has to pay for a stamp if they mail the form in, gasoline or bus fare if they drive a car or ride the bus to the registrars office, and money for food to give them the energy to walk it there if they do that.

The same applies to getting to a polling place.

What's so bad about requiring id?

Nothing is free.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I dunno 'bout Hitler, but state licensing agencies routinely survey long term care facilities.
The surveyor will expect individual patients to be properly identified.
You sir/ma'm, do not know what you are talking about. Both my parents were in LTC facilities and the issue of ID never came up, though I believe my dad did have a valid driver's license. If having ID had been required, we would have been told so when we admitted them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It costs money to register to vote. One has to pay for a stamp if they mail the form in, gasoline or bus fare if they drive a car or ride the bus to the registrars office, and money for food to give them the energy to walk it there if they do that.

The same applies to getting to a polling place.

What's so bad about requiring id?

Nothing is free.
When you do your daily constitution reading today, check the 24th amendment. Basically the right to vote should not incur any extra charges. You don't have to register by mail. (When you vote by mail here, you don't have to put a stamp on your ballot.) You can walk to the office. The food issue is irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies