Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 09:19 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,381,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I'm not saying that we shouldn't fix this, and every program. But I'm a realist. Where can we save the most money from waste. What reforms will have the greatest impact.

Start there, work your way down the chain. Generally when people are talking about a small cut like this, they are avoiding the biggest cuts, because they support those programs.

One, or all of these things much change drastically. Social security, medicare, or defense spending.

We can't even logically talk about our budget until those three things are addressed. They make up 75% of our budget, or more.
I know there's a bigger picture. But we can start to fix this problem immediately (and they are working on it). Reforms will take years of divisive debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 09:21 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,873,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I know there's a bigger picture. But we can start to fix this problem immediately (and they are working on it). Reforms will take years of divisive debate.
It can start immediately by slashing the servery over bloated military spending, and going after fraudulent weapons contractors, but the right wing machine would never let that happen, they just recently proposed 100's of billion in more wasteful spending,...

Old 05-26-2012, 09:23 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,516,987 times
Quote:
Any second wasting on fixing things that won't have long term benefits is a waste of time.

We have to fix the big problems, we need to fix them now, and its all anyone in politics should be talking about.

When Japan has bombed Pearl Harbor, you don't suddenly start working on building snow plows.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It can start immediately by slashing the servery over bloated military spending, and going after fraudulent weapons contractors, but the right wing machine would never let that happen, they just recently proposed 100's of billion in more wasteful spending,...
The military would be the first place I'd look for budgetary cuts.

But that's not the topic of this thread.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:27 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,227,747 times
The idiotic things ppl post, this one sets a new low. Welfare queens are buying pop, pouring the pop down the drain for a few pennies for the can or bottle. Wow, what a clever scam, spend a buck to pocket a few pennies, really ingenious.

You know anyone with a 70 IQ? FYI, most ppl with a 70 IQ are barely able to care for themselves. My sister, with cerebral palsy, has a 70 IQ. Without the work offered by a sheltered workshop, the help of her social worker, my mom to manage he money and pay her bills, and a section 8 apartment she would be institutionalized.

Facts that are missed by you ignorant self center wingnuts is poor ppl are poor because of functional limitations. Ppl living in poverty aren't there because they're lazy or they are enjoying themselves, they are there because there are zero opportunities for the underclass. If YOU had a business would you hire someone with a 70 IQ when someone with a 95 IQ was available? Would YOU hire a disabled person that needed accommodations that cost $$$, especially if they were less productive than an able bodied person?

No need to respond I already know the answer, to ppl like you our underclass are disposable and we shouldn't allow them to live....

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You can bet the $750 million is only the tip of the iceburg and the fraud is at least 10 or 20 times higher. Of course there is food stamp fraud. Most food stamp and other welfare recipients are actually able-bodied, have 2 arms and 2 legs, and have IQ's over 70.

In states where there is a bottle and can deposit that is covered by food stamps, people can be seen buying cheap soft drinks, going out into the parking lot and pouring them out to return to get the cash from the bottle-return. Of course it's idiotic that food stamps can buy soft drinks in the first place.

They can use free WIC coupons to obtain baby formula which they then sell on Craigslist -- this report doesn't even touch on that fraud. Single mothers easily obtain many government handouts, even free housing and their boyfriends move in and of course the boyfriend's income isn't reported. People are pouring over the border illegally and giving birth in this country in order to easily access the welfare handouts. There is an incredible amount of fraud.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:31 AM

11,411 posts, read 16,866,047 times
Fraud is fraud. Doesn't matter if it's 100% or 1% and especially doesn't matter which side of the fence you believe in.

It's wrong and should be stopped...period.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Any second wasting on fixing things that won't have long term benefits is a waste of time.

We have to fix the big problems, we need to fix them now, and its all anyone in politics should be talking about.

When Japan has bombed Pearl Harbor, you don't suddenly start working on building snow plows.
It's not a waste of time. It's an easy regulatory fix that doesn't require our pathetic legislature to agree. Snow plows? Really? Bad analogy...

Old 05-26-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Fraud is fraud. Doesn't matter if it's 100% or 1% and especially doesn't matter which side of the fence you believe in.

It's wrong and should be stopped...period.
Again, yes, fix the door handle thats loose, but when your roof has just blown off, you've got bigger things to worry about.

"We should fix everything", is so easy to say, but not realistic to do. Can we get to food stamp reform, sure. How about balancing the budget first? You can do both things at the same time, but really you should agree on whats going to fix the problem, and food stamp reform ain't it.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:41 AM

I find it strange that people are defending this fraud because simply because it doesn't completely address every problem with the food assistance program. The offending aid recipients and businesses are stealing money...OUR MONEY! Let's take a step in the right direction and make a solid attempt at attacking entitlement fraud. How many steps will it take to make the program efficient? Who knows...

Old 05-26-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I find it strange that people are defending this fraud because simply because it doesn't completely address every problem with the food assistance program. The offending aid recipients and businesses are stealing money...OUR MONEY! Let's take a step in the right direction and make a solid attempt at attacking entitlement fraud. How many steps will it take to make the program efficient? Who knows...
No one is defending the fraud, I question the motivation when there are bigger fish to fry.

When I try and talk to some of these posters about the bigger fish, they don't care about them, they want to address food stamps.

Most of the food stamp abuse still goes to food, not money of some kind. I feel truly awful that someone would trade food they need for money. Food is a number one priority. Everything else, even shelter, is secondary.

But I can't baby sit every person either. What I have to worry about are the big problems, then we'll fix the little ones. But when people are refusing to talk about the big problems, its not worth fixing a radio on a sinking ship. Fix the sinking first, then the radio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies