Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 06:02 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,997,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
But it shouldn't matter what percent of fraud is of the food stamp variety. $750 million a year in fraud is a lot of money. Why can't we address all fraud including this kind? Why makes comparisons to other fraud? Why all the sensitivity about this particular issue in here?
This fraud is being addressed, not to worry. It just is so pathetic a percentage that it isn't that big a deal.

The gov't would lose money trying to fill the holes. Nothing the gov't does is efficient.

If you want to get rid of fraud in the USDA food program. You better start with the Congressmen that have oversight of the Agriculture Dept.

That is where the real fraud and abuse is. Not some guy that is out of work, trying to have a liquid lunch on the so called tax payers dime.

Let the guy have a frickin' beer for God's sake.

It's better than a tub of Ice Cream or a box of Snickers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 06:07 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,397,937 times
One place I would like to see more spending: Fraud Prevention and prosecution.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:21 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,363,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
This fraud is being addressed, not to worry. It just is so pathetic a percentage that it isn't that big a deal.

The gov't would lose money trying to fill the holes. Nothing the gov't does is efficient.

If you want to get rid of fraud in the USDA food program. You better start with the Congressmen that have oversight of the Agriculture Dept.

That is where the real fraud and abuse is. Not some guy that is out of work, trying to have a liquid lunch on the so called tax payers dime.

Let the guy have a frickin' beer for God's sake.

It's better than a tub of Ice Cream or a box of Snickers.
$750 million a year is no big deal? Gotcha! No one is denying the poor a right to their food stamps. The objection is to the abuse and fraud.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:06 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,220,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
This would all be fine, if I were a right winger. I'm a fiscal conservative and I lean more toward libertarian views. I want all wars to end, including the war on drugs. While you (and all party line drones) see everything in red or blue, I see it in purple. Both "sides" are full of $hit, and it's obvious they only care about lining their pockets with OPM. Viet Nam was a democrats war, which killed 60K of our guys, so let's not get all high and mighty when liberals are equally guilty.
Not sure where you get Nam was a dem war. US involvement began during Eisenhower and it was actually a war for oil, mostly a republican invention.

Did we go to war in Vietnam over oil

The New U.S.-British Oil Imperialism down a bit....

Vietnam 02:2005 EXPLORER

Old 05-25-2012, 07:14 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,220,489 times
Quote:
$750 million a year is no big deal? Gotcha! No one is denying the poor a right to their food stamps. The objection is to the abuse and fraud.
You might ask yourself why it is the agriculture department administers the food stamp program. Who benefits from the cash? Farmers? Big AG? When you think about it food stamps are corporate welfare to support the AG business. Without them food stuffs are subject to the volatility of the economy. Food stamps guaranty a market in bad times.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
You might ask yourself why it is the agriculture department administers the food stamp program. Who benefits from the cash? Farmers? Big AG? When you think about it food stamps are corporate welfare to support the AG business. Without them food stuffs are subject to the volatility of the economy. Food stamps guaranty a market in bad times.
Kellogg's love's food stamps. It's 1/2 their profits.

When the Average CEO is making $9 million per yr. , i'm guessing he wants people to not go hungry.

When people in France went hungry. It was burned to the ground.

Human nature... people gotta eat. Not sure the Tax payer purist's get that part of the insurance policy.....

Old 05-25-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Not in a $150 Billion dollar budget. I'd love to have less than 1/2 of 1 percent loss/theft/fraud in my business... My accountant and attorney make sure i stay within 10%.

People love to fill their tanks on the company card, and take their friends out to dinner and call it business.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:26 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,727,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What's the total cost of the program?

Dude, it's like 1% of the total program!!

Let's compare that with some Pentagon Programs.

No, cuz God Forbid we do that, huh?
Apparently, the concept of starting somewhere to eliminate fraud and overspending never occurred to you.

I don't care how much or how little it is. It needs to be eliminated. One stupid, entitlement program at a time.

It started one program at a time and each program gradually grew. The only way to kill a cancer like this is to cut it out.

Old 05-25-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Apparently, the concept of starting somewhere to eliminate fraud and overspending never occurred to you.

I don't care how much or how little it is. It needs to be eliminated. One stupid, entitlement program at a time.

It started one program at a time and each program gradually grew. The only way to kill a cancer like this is to cut it out.
Your going to have to fire 95% of the House and the Senate. Then impeach O'bama. Then Get rid of the FED, who prints the Dollar into oblivion.

I love when people that don't understand the Faux currency system, when they think they have it all figured out.... It's funnier than Seinfeld.. I miss Kramer....

BTW, thanks for the laugh...

Old 05-25-2012, 07:40 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,727,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I think it is absolutely disgusting. People that commit this fraud should be in jail for years- period. Being poor doesnt mean you have to be amoral.

I have been helping by sister and her husband apply for programs because she lost her job, has no skills and cang get a new one. In the wic office there were people wearing ugg boots, air nikes, etc. (Even the little kids). My sister is sitting there wearing a $2 pair of flipflops and her old maternity clothes. Nothing is wrong with that picture?

I took her to apply for food stamps (because she doesnt own a car like all these other "poor" people) and they denied her. Do you know why? Because she is a full time college student. Apparently that disqualifies her from receiving food stamps even though they are within the income guidelines. So the incentive is to never better yourself, because you lose the benefits you would need to use to achieve it. The system is dumb as hell. Now I'm not saying its not her own fault she is in this position,but whatsense does it make that someone trying to better themselves is screwed, yet druggies and people that sit around all dayget thehelp?
Such a sad post, and based on what you've said, your sister is one of the few I would be happy to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies