Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 08:02 AM

745 posts, read 1,511,921 times

Advertisements

I think it is absolutely disgusting. People that commit this fraud should be in jail for years- period. Being poor doesnt mean you have to be amoral.

I have been helping by sister and her husband apply for programs because she lost her job, has no skills and cang get a new one. In the wic office there were people wearing ugg boots, air nikes, etc. (Even the little kids). My sister is sitting there wearing a $2 pair of flipflops and her old maternity clothes. Nothing is wrong with that picture?

I took her to apply for food stamps (because she doesnt own a car like all these other "poor" people) and they denied her. Do you know why? Because she is a full time college student. Apparently that disqualifies her from receiving food stamps even though they are within the income guidelines. So the incentive is to never better yourself, because you lose the benefits you would need to use to achieve it. The system is dumb as hell. Now I'm not saying its not her own fault she is in this position,but whatsense does it make that someone trying to better themselves is screwed, yet druggies and people that sit around all dayget thehelp?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 08:06 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,464,504 times
Tip of the iceberg (lettuce)....

I bet it's five times that.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:30 AM

9,317 posts, read 18,823,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
So I guess republicans have never wasted money before? its only liberals.
Republicans do waste lots of money on useless liberal programs and look the other way. I thought Obama was going to go program by program and stop the waste and fraud....hmmmm?

Old 05-25-2012, 08:35 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,969,968 times
Govt programs of any kind seem to have high fraud rates. I would be far more concerned with the corp/bankster welfare fraud than people getting FS, who haven't followed the rules.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:00 AM

3,335 posts, read 3,002,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
If you don't have motivation, all the freedom and opportunity in the world is still wasted.
It's hard for some to self motivate, when the deck is stacked against them.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Liberals don't care about fraud, plain and simple. This thread proves that.
It's not a liberal or GOP'er thing. Its a broken thing.

Making this about what club one belongs... is nothing more than a patterned ignorance that many American's have been brainwashed to support.

This ping pong game has done nothing but divide and drive into mediocrity, while the true offenses go un noticed or un punished.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:06 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,873,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Govt programs of any kind seem to have high fraud rates. I would be far more concerned with the corp/bankster welfare fraud than people getting FS, who haven't followed the rules.
Exactly. The right wing propaganda machine likes to keep their obedient sheep occupied by yelling "oooooo oooooo! A small fraction of welfare recipients are committing fraud!" Then while their minions are in their faux outrage, their GOP masters are ripping off the government and giving it to lady liberty in the hind end for substantially more.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:09 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,233,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I think it is absolutely disgusting. People that commit this fraud should be in jail for years- period. Being poor doesnt mean you have to be amoral.

I have been helping by sister and her husband apply for programs because she lost her job, has no skills and cang get a new one. In the wic office there were people wearing ugg boots, air nikes, etc. (Even the little kids). My sister is sitting there wearing a $2 pair of flipflops and her old maternity clothes. Nothing is wrong with that picture?

I took her to apply for food stamps (because she doesnt own a car like all these other "poor" people) and they denied her. Do you know why? Because she is a full time college student. Apparently that disqualifies her from receiving food stamps even though they are within the income guidelines. So the incentive is to never better yourself, because you lose the benefits you would need to use to achieve it. The system is dumb as hell. Now I'm not saying its not her own fault she is in this position,but whatsense does it make that someone trying to better themselves is screwed, yet druggies and people that sit around all dayget thehelp?
Your real-world example is exactly what needs to be laid out and explained to the liberals on this forum who believe that conservatives are railing against entitlement fraud for no good reason. They believe it's just a figment of our imagination that people are gaming the system....that people driving nice cars....wearing fancy clothes...have the latest electronic gadgets......it's all some dreamt up fantasy that doesn't have any basis in reality in their view.

It sickens me beyond belief how low some people have to go to compromise common sense in order to defend something as nasty as entitlement fraud. But that's liberalism for you. Don't expect it to get any better anytime soon. Liberal ideology is a mental disease.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Exactly. The right wing propaganda machine likes to keep their obedient sheep occupied by yelling "oooooo oooooo! A small fraction of welfare recipients are committing fraud!" Then while their minions are in their faux outrage, their GOP masters are ripping off the government and giving it to lady liberty in the hind end for substantially more.
Halliburton, Bechtel, JPL, and the entire military industrial complex has boogers bigger than $750 Million.

They bleed the country dry, all under the disguise of Homeland Security.

Do you feel SAFE & SECURE...

Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,233,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Halliburton, Bechtel, JPL, and the entire military industrial complex has boogers bigger than $750 Million.

They bleed the country dry, all under the disguise of Homeland Security.

Do you feel SAFE & SECURE...
As TrapperJohn said above.....$750M is just the tip of the iceberg. In fact, an article in the Washington Examiner this morning alluded to the same thing, with a few more details as to how it came to that conclusion. I'll see if I can find the link.

Also, no one that I can find is defending fraud, waste, and abuse in the military complex, or any other government program. I'm not sure why you and others feel the need to equivocate, as if $750M is a small number not worth paying attention to. It's mindboggling to me that such equivocation is reason for you and others to turn a blind eye. Are you a taxpayer? If so, then why aren't you offended by ALL fraudulent use of your hard earned money? Is there a reason why you and others are hedging?

Is this part of some ideological battle in your mind that says food stamps are GOOD while the military is BAD? It sure seems like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies