Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 04:58 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,952,264 times

Advertisements

what needs to happen is that food stamps need to shift from an EBT payment to an actual food entitlement-where they get actual food handed to them. also, surplus food sources need to be matched to those who need food, and people should have a site where they can bring their extra tomatoes (or whatever they grow) and seeds for others to have.

if we switch from an entitlement mentality to a sharing mentality, the country will be a lot better off.

then the poor won't go hungry (and NOBODY wants the poor to go hungry), but the abuse would be cut to almost zero when people are getting actual food staples, and the money isn't being skimmed off the top.

but, again, that certainly isn't the biggest fraud in the system and both parties need to work at identifying the government fraud that represents the biggest waste of taxpayer money-because the government fraud starts at the top-not the bottom.

the leaders don't want it fixed, though, because then we would start scritinizing them-if we weren't all so busy scrutinizing each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 06:31 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,216,327 times
Gotta luv these ppl that not only watch every detail of what other ppl are doing around them, but they are also able to determine what these ppl do beyond the grocery line.

Dave, you're a rare breed, most ppl are too busy with there own lives to notice what other ppl are doing. Most of the time I'm busy unloading my shopping cart and organizing my coupons to notice what the ppl ahead of me are doing. If someone ahead of me was using a SNAP card I probably would even notice. If I had the free time to day dream is probably devote it to the cute cashier two registers over then to study other ppl's transactions.

As far as other ppl discussing their financial status with strangers or even acquaintances, it just doesn't happen. While some foolish ppl like to brag about a pending tax return few ppl are going to lay their financial history on the table for anyone. Poor ppl sometimes brag about what they don't have, heck, this CD forum had hundreds of millionaires, even a few billionaires, LOL. Most ppl don't discuss their money. Some foolish ppl do still wait on tax refunds, but if you smart you work out your withholding so you owe them a little instead of them owing you. A tax refund check is worse than a no interest Christmas Club at the bank. Why give the government your money for over a year???

Bottom line, BS. Your clearly repeating wingnut talking points and outdated stereotypes. The dayz of welfare queens with hundreds of thousands in her sock drawer are long dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedavalan View Post
I am all for helping those who are indeed in need of
assistance, however there are many who abuse the system and some even tell how they do it. I am a single father and raised 3 kids alone without any help. I made enough money to not qualify for assistance (not even free school lunches).I would carefully shop for groceries every Saturday morning and I have seen so many individuals misuse food stamps. Some would purchase name brand items while I settled for the store brand.
I work supervising about 30 people and some receive help from the government. The thing that gets under my skin, a few of them refuse their yearly raise because it would affect their benefits! Some have boyfriends living with them and I know one who is married but claims her husband doesn't live with her but he does! I know of one family who brags about their tax refund every year and when ask how they get so much back, the reply is they file head of household and one claims 3 kids while the other claims the other 2. The husband uses a P.O. box for his address. This is the kind of fraud that goes on everywhere. So, I feel that us taxpayers do have a right to be upset. I agree with banning certain items such as soda, candy, chips and twinkies from the food stamp program. Some of these folks smoke, drink and all of them carry cell phones.
So for the person who uses assistance wisely, I feel sorry for you in your time of need and thank you for being cautious of how you spend.
But for those who abuse it, I say get rid of the unnecessary things like cell phones, smokes, beer etc. and use that money for your treats.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:05 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
So I guess republicans have never wasted money before? its only liberals.
So, you support the fraud?

Old 06-02-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's ONE PERCENT OF THE FRICKIN' PROGRAM FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!

Normal people would say that that's a fairly successful program and a pretty low rate of fraud.

"Normal people" being the operative words.
Yep, I have a hard time critisizing the poor for cheating the government out of a few bucks, when the gov squanders trillions of tax dollars.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
1% is wholly irrelevant. The total is $750 MILLION annually. Explain to us why that amount of fraud using your taxdollars doesn't bother you.

Are you seriously that apathetic?
Well, let's go after medicare fraud which is in the billions. 48 billion to be exact.

Medicare fraud - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-02-2012, 07:20 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,489,320 times
Go after it all. Its our money.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:52 AM

742 posts, read 680,295 times
OKAY so you want to add up, berate people in need because of a noted amount of system abusers.

Let's look at the BIGGER picture here. That's right the big time crooks in the business-
The More Americans That Go On Food Stamps The More Money JP Morgan Makes

JP Morgan profiting off hungry Americans

JP Morgan profiting off hungry Americans — RT

Old 06-02-2012, 08:12 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,351,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeking View Post
OKAY so you want to add up, berate people in need because of a noted amount of system abusers.

Let's look at the BIGGER picture here. That's right the big time crooks in the business-

JP Morgan profiting off hungry Americans

JP Morgan profiting off hungry Americans — RT
How is going after the food stamp fraudsters berating the needy? No one is suggesting that we go after the honest ones.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:48 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,043,480 times

Sen. Rand Paul Addresses Reforming the Food Stamp Program - 06/13/12 - YouTube

Old 06-13-2012, 12:21 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,694,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
what needs to happen is that food stamps need to shift from an EBT payment to an actual food entitlement-where they get actual food handed to them. also, surplus food sources need to be matched to those who need food, and people should have a site where they can bring their extra tomatoes (or whatever they grow) and seeds for others to have.

if we switch from an entitlement mentality to a sharing mentality, the country will be a lot better off.

then the poor won't go hungry (and NOBODY wants the poor to go hungry), but the abuse would be cut to almost zero when people are getting actual food staples, and the money isn't being skimmed off the top.

but, again, that certainly isn't the biggest fraud in the system and both parties need to work at identifying the government fraud that represents the biggest waste of taxpayer money-because the government fraud starts at the top-not the bottom.

the leaders don't want it fixed, though, because then we would start scritinizing them-if we weren't all so busy scrutinizing each other.
On the surface that sounds good but in reality it is a poor idea.
First, you would have to set up a nationwide distribution system that reaches all eligible recipients. This would mean literally thousands of centers and by itself would cost billions to establish. Not to mention the transportation costs to get surplus foods fresh, to the centers.
Second, that 75 billion in food stamp money is spent at the local supermarkets which is an economic boost for the local community, farmers and food suppliers. For efficiency sake, the supermarkets already have a food distributation system in place that cost the program nothing.

Handing out a months supply of surplus Okra and a ten pound block of mystery cheese may sound very meaningful but in reality, it is not. And YES, I remember the WICK program with the whole chicken in a can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies