Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 04:40 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,357,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workout55 View Post
1. I'm shocked, I think you are the first republican to acknowledge the useless wars. That must have been tough for you.

2. I didn't twist anybody's words around, all I read on these threads is republicans wanting to end entitlements, but they won't touch military spending.

3. Republicans accuse democrats of wasteful spending all the time, this thread being one of them.
Why would me objecting to these useless, expensive wars be tough for me to admit if that is how I truly feel about it? If you think that every Republican is a war monger then you really don't know Republicans as a majority.

You must have a reading comprehension problem because I have also read all of these threads and have never read any rightie saying they want to end all entitlements for the truly needy. So yes, you are twisting just like a typical lefty. Both parties have been guilty of wasteful spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 05:17 PM

16,952 posts, read 16,823,159 times
You have the Welfare Reform Act...why not have the Food Stamp Reform Act?

It's pretty sad that there is no new regulations in existance when you Google "Food Stamp Reform."

The Food Stamp Nutritional Program has been around since the 70's (although Food Stamps themselves, since the 30's)

WHY hasn't anything been done about this rampant fraud and who is REALLY to blame for doing nothing about the selling, trading, upselling, and fraudulent purchases?

WHEN is something going to be done about this?

And I disagree when you say "Hey, its only 70 gazbillion people defrauding the SNAP program...."

It does NOT matter if it's 70 people or 70 Million people defrauding the system, when does this bad pony ride STOP?

Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 PM

745 posts, read 1,509,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
LOL, take a moment and get your story straight, look at the bold quotes below amd tell which one is total BS? Maybe both?

You ready to acknowledge that college students, albeit after jumping thru hoops, can receive Snap?

I'm guessing "MOST" doesn't included those listed in that article. " To meet eligibility requirements for food stamps, college students living in New York not only must be enrolled in school at least half-time and earn less than $1,107 each month, but must also either work a minimum of 20 hours a week, have a young child under their care, or be part of a government “work-study” program."

I don't know what to say if you're not willing to look at the link of the government website that states eligibility. Twisting around what I was saying, which is obvious that I was only speaking to my sisters situation shows your agenda. I'm done engaging you if you think that repeatedly quoting an erroneous newspaper article somehow demonstrates your point.

Old 05-26-2012, 05:50 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,995,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
I find it strange that people are defending this fraud because simply because it doesn't completely address every problem with the food assistance program. The offending aid recipients and businesses are stealing money...OUR MONEY! Let's take a step in the right direction and make a solid attempt at attacking entitlement fraud. How many steps will it take to make the program efficient? Who knows...
"OUR MONEY" ???

You nor I have anything resembling OUR MONEY. It's Gov't money, plain and simple..

They control when and where you make it, and what you do with it.

OUR MONEY< hasn't been in existence for a long long time.

Old 05-26-2012, 06:16 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,357,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
"OUR MONEY" ???

You nor I have anything resembling OUR MONEY. It's Gov't money, plain and simple..

They control when and where you make it, and what you do with it.

OUR MONEY< hasn't been in existence for a long long time.
Where do you think the government gets "their" money? Shouldn't we have a say in where "our" taxes go and demand that fraud isn't involved?

Old 05-26-2012, 06:33 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,218,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Where do you think the government gets "their" money? Shouldn't we have a say in where "our" taxes go and demand that fraud isn't involved?
No. The taxes you and I pay are the dues we pay for being allowed to participate in this society. A cost of doing business

Who Owns Your Money?

When you thinly about it, how much we pay in taxes is irrelevant if we are living comfortably. It is all relative. If I paid 99% of what I earn in taxes but was living well what is the difference than paying 25% and being a wage slave deep in debt and struggling to make ends meet?

Old 05-26-2012, 06:47 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,218,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I don't know what to say if you're not willing to look at the link of the government website that states eligibility. Twisting around what I was saying, which is obvious that I was only speaking to my sisters situation shows your agenda. I'm done engaging you if you think that repeatedly quoting an erroneous newspaper article somehow demonstrates your point.
DUH, you didn't provide a link.

But from the NY state site.

The only way to determine if your household is eligible for food stamp benefits is to apply.

LOL, gotta luv someone that doesn't provide a link to their source and leave off the parts the undermine their bogus claims. The little piece you left off is almost word for word what the article said.

However, students may be able to get food stamps, if otherwise eligible, if they:

Receive public assistance benefits under a Title IV-A program,

Or Take part in a state or federally-financed work study program;

Or Work on average 20 hours per week.

Single parents enrolled full time in college and taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 12 can get food stamps, if otherwise eligible.

Students also may be able to get food stamps, if otherwise eligible, if they are taking care of a dependent household member under the age of 6, or if they are taking care of a dependent household member age 6 through 11 and do not have adequate child care to enable them to attend school and work a minimum of 20 hours per week,or take part in a state or federally-financed work study program.

Students who are assigned to or placed in college or certain other schools as part of certain job or employment training programs may also be eligible for food stamps.

Students who are assigned to or placed in college or certain other schools as part of certain job or employment training programs may also be eligible for food stamps.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:02 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,119,454 times
Fraud is a probelm with every program governamnt runs besides waste and even abuse noit fraud. Even looking at revenies Unreported income is estiamted at 300 billion loss tax revenues by government.IWith the numbers is obvious that not just the more audited rich are cheating.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:31 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,279,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
So I guess republicans have never wasted money before? its only liberals.
ROFLMAO I love it. You guys did it so no one is allowed to mention it. You did it too so its ok for us. LOL

Old 06-02-2012, 04:31 AM

9 posts, read 14,227 times
I am all for helping those who are indeed in need of assistance, however there are many who abuse the system and some even tell how they do it. I am a single father and raised 3 kids alone without any help. I made enough money to not qualify for assistance (not even free school lunches).I would carefully shop for groceries every Saturday morning and I have seen so many individuals misuse food stamps. Some would purchase name brand items while I settled for the store brand.
I work supervising about 30 people and some receive help from the government. The thing that gets under my skin, a few of them refuse their yearly raise because it would affect their benefits! Some have boyfriends living with them and I know one who is married but claims her husband doesn't live with her but he does! I know of one family who brags about their tax refund every year and when ask how they get so much back, the reply is they file head of household and one claims 3 kids while the other claims the other 2. The husband uses a P.O. box for his address. This is the kind of fraud that goes on everywhere. So, I feel that us taxpayers do have a right to be upset. I agree with banning certain items such as soda, candy, chips and twinkies from the food stamp program. Some of these folks smoke, drink and all of them carry cell phones.
So for the person who uses assistance wisely, I feel sorry for you in your time of need and thank you for being cautious of how you spend.
But for those who abuse it, I say get rid of the unnecessary things like cell phones, smokes, beer etc. and use that money for your treats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies