Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 02:21 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,485,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think American needs to amend the Freedom of Speech amendment. They should make hate speech illegal because it affects the life of other citizens.
Let me guess, hate speech is any speech you don't agree with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 02:31 PM

344 posts, read 396,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Sure I've heard people make comments about minorities, but it's nowhere near the anger and frequency that I see it online.

Are the people who post online a small minority or is it that I just happen to live in an area that doesn't have bad feelings towards minorities? The few times I do hear it in person the speaker usually gets called out on it, not always, but most of the times. Is my area more politically correct?
I think you have two things going on. One is that people cannot speak about race openly. Political correctness will now allow for cross-cultural criticisms. I'm not talking about racism, per se, I'm talking about some of the same observations made by Obama. The pent-up criticisms then come out, often sounding mean-spirited and over-blown, on the internet.

The other thing is that garden variety racists cannot speak their mantra in public. If they do, they will get fired from their jobs, and they will often become dissociated from friends and even family. So they go to the anonymous internet.

Old 05-20-2012, 02:39 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieGal View Post
I think you have two things going on. One is that people cannot speak about race openly. Political correctness will now allow for cross-cultural criticisms. I'm not talking about racism, per se, I'm talking about some of the same observations made by Obama. The pent-up criticisms then come out, often sounding mean-spirited and over-blown, on the internet.

The other thing is that garden variety racists cannot speak their mantra in public. If they do, they will get fired from their jobs, and they will often become dissociated from friends and even family. So they go to the anonymous internet.
Exellent Point!

Within the areana where racial differences are most likely to rise to the surface .... the workplace .... the issue is generally skirted. No problem with that, just as long as the practicioners of High Political Correctness don't opt to fill the void (exclusively) with their agenda.

And in some quarters, more so in academia than on the factory floor or in the office, this appears to be the strategy they have formulated.

Old 05-20-2012, 03:17 PM

674 posts, read 698,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Sure I've heard people make comments about minorities, but it's nowhere near the anger and frequency that I see it online.

Are the people who post online a small minority or is it that I just happen to live in an area that doesn't have bad feelings towards minorities? The few times I do hear it in person the speaker usually gets called out on it, not always, but most of the times. Is my area more politically correct?
I hear Asians and other nonwhites say the sort of things in daily life that white posters only say online. White people have been effectively silenced by political correctness which is silly because people will still behave the way they want regardless of whether or not society thinks its ok to be honest about it. I honestly wish white people were allowed to be open......

Old 05-20-2012, 03:58 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,427,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
I hear Asians and other nonwhites say the sort of things in daily life that white posters only say online. White people have been effectively silenced by political correctness which is silly because people will still behave the way they want regardless of whether or not society thinks its ok to be honest about it. I honestly wish white people were allowed to be open......
Exactly bottling these things up is simply too dangerous. African-Americans in particular are under the impression that only white people see many of the pathologies emanating from their community as negative.

Which is one of the reasons why if I was African- American I wouldn't exactly be heralding this new non-white majority. The new majority won't be beholden to white guilt.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:00 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,783,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenways View Post
Part of it is that people are cowards and know that if they say that to someone's face, it's gonna get far uglier than it can on the Internet.
yes, they're safe behind the keyboard and monitor. A good reason why black men especially have such a difficulty finding quality work. When Obama got elected blacks were shown the door fast. People are very racist towards blacks in general.

Old 05-20-2012, 04:15 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Exactly bottling these things up is simply too dangerous. African-Americans in particular are under the impression that only white people see many of the pathologies emanating from their community as negative.

Which is one of the reasons why if I was African- American I wouldn't exactly be heralding this new non-white majority. The new majority won't be beholden to white guilt.
When I was in real estate I never had a white person tell me they did not wish to live in an area where too many blacks or hispanics lived. I had one black client (from England), three Muslim clients and one native born hispanic client tell me that.

Had a Hindu client who told me he did not wish to see a house after we drove by a mosque on the way to it.

Last edited by whogo; 05-20-2012 at 04:28 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 05:03 PM

1,610 posts, read 1,783,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
open? Go back to the early days where blacks where hanged for even looking St whites. You don't remember the language spoken from whites back when they were allowed to be free? You really want to go to those days? Alot of what minorities have are due to the government trying to create laws of opportunity for minorities. You think every minority is there because of brains and a white speaking voice?

Once you leave school you forget the majority of what you learnt and its more than enough whites to fill every good paying job and leave the slave labors for the blacks and browns.

You need political and social correctness in America as a chance to give those who usually aren't given much of a chance.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:10 PM

674 posts, read 698,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
The new majority won't be beholden to white guilt.
This is very important to note.

Old 05-20-2012, 05:16 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
open? Go back to the early days where blacks where hanged for even looking St whites. You don't remember the language spoken from whites back when they were allowed to be free? You really want to go to those days? Alot of what minorities have are due to the government trying to create laws of opportunity for minorities. You think every minority is there because of brains and a white speaking voice?

Once you leave school you forget the majority of what you learnt and its more than enough whites to fill every good paying job and leave the slave labors for the blacks and browns.

You need political and social correctness in America as a chance to give those who usually aren't given much of a chance.
There were 3 major drawbacks to the civil rights movement and that was the abandonment of Black-owned businesses to go work for corporations and govt positions, the abandonment of Black neighborhoods by the middle and upper class, and Black women embracing the lies of the Women's movement. These have been nearly fatal errors for African Americans. We believed and internalized the lie that White = better and as a group, we acted accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies