Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 01:20 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post

I think American needs to amend the Freedom of Speech amendment. They should make hate speech illegal because it affects the life of other citizens.
Hate speech is illegal. So are the incitements to violence that occasionally pop up here. Fear not, a watchful eye is being maintained on the illegal speech on the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 01:20 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
They're a small but vocal (here, at least) minority. They're dinosaurs in the throes of gasping their last. Their posts here are their last hurrah. Fortunately, attitudes on the part of the US population at large have evolved far beyond this anachronistic tribal warfare. As you've noticed, yourself.
I live in a big city and a professor once mentioned to me that we (Chicagoans) live in a bubble. He said that what we consider offensive or backwards, other areas of the US find acceptable. So I'm not sure if this is true or not. There are some circles in Chicago where you can make openly racist comments, but they are rare, for the most part people will call you out on it.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times
Quote:
Because bigots know they are safe behind a computer screen.

I think American needs to amend the Freedom of Speech amendment. They should make hate speech illegal because it affects the life of other citizens.
Free speech is cool as long as it doesn't carry over into someone else day.
It should also fall under the line of cyber bullying but it doesn't. That needs to be changed too.
Your screen name says it all .... you have decided to appoint yourself and a few of those whom you decide fit your values as the New Elite .... and anyone who would dare to challenge you is guilty of "hate speech".

And of course, we'll have to give more authority to the state so the people you've decided aren't sufficiently sanitary can't hide from your Thought Police.

You have just deonstrated, once again, that some of the most dangerous thinking in this society lies in the mindset of those who proclaim themselves as (pseudo-)Liberals. Congratulations?

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 05-20-2012 at 01:51 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 01:21 PM

835 posts, read 1,040,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Exhibit A. Liberals silencing debate, scary stuff.

Silencing debate? I hardly call 100 men in white sheets having a rally in a park about hating minorities a debate.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:22 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,813 times
Quote:
Because bigots know they are safe behind a computer screen.
Thread ender.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:22 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hate speech is illegal. So are the incitements to violence that occasionally pop up here. Fear not, a watchful eye is being maintained on the illegal speech on the forum.
Hate speech is not illegal.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:24 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,054,719 times
Because the internet's the only place to hide behind the computer and express resentment and frustration. We live in a politically correct world.

It's 1932 and it's been proven that nothing's changed. People will continue to hate no matter what year is it.

835 posts, read 1,040,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Your screen name says it all .... you have decided to appoint yourself and a few of those whom you decide fit your values as the New Elite .... and anyone who would dare to challenge you is guilty of "hate speech".

And of course, we'll have to give more authority to the state so the people you've decided aren't sufficiently sanitary can't hide from your Thought Police.

You have just deonstrated, once again, that some of the most dangerous thinking in this society lies inthe mindset of those who proclaim themselves as (pseudo-)Liberals. Congratulations?
This country is supposed to give equally to all citizens. I'm sorry that I believe in all American being treated equally.

We all know how much the Republicans want slavery back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I live in a big city and a professor once mentioned to me that we (Chicagoans) live in a bubble. He said that what we consider offensive or backwards, other areas of the US find acceptable. So I'm not sure if this is true or not. There are some circles in Chicago where you can make openly racist comments, but they are rare, for the most part people will call you out on it.
There are pockets around the country where hate speech is acceptable, just like there are enclaves of hard-core almost militant Christians. They don't represent anything close to even half the population, though, let alone the majority. It could be that the election of a Black President has stirred them up. (Gee, ya think? ) If Chicagoans live in a bubble, so does most of the West Coast, part of the East Coast, and NM and northern Arizona as well. In-between all of that, it's hit-and-miss, or so I hear.

Old 05-20-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:

We all know how much the Republicans want slavery back.
The GOP, the grand "Party of Lincoln"! I'm sure he's turning in his grave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies