Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 07:22 AM

7,977 posts, read 7,373,104 times

Advertisements

We who live rurally also have a lot of savvy about getting things WITHOUT MONEY. We barter for things from each other - from labor to produce to meat. A bushel of turnips for homemade sausage (I grew the turnips, my friend's DH raises pigs), five bushels of apples in exchange for three or four homemade pies, etc. I even "bartered" my kitty's checkup this summer. The vet accepted free cucumbers and squash from me in exchange for her exam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 07:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,413,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Urban areas are magnificient!! Cities provide the opportunity for "country folks" to earn enough to buy back their childhood, i.e.,...move back to the country and enjoy the solitude, peace, quiet, and independence they enjoyed on the farm/ranch as youngsters.

"Ignorant" country people? Anyone who makes such a statement is not only "ignorant", but are stupid as well. Most people who make such statments are usually city dwellers who couldn't survive in a rural environment.
I agree.

In fact, farming is very high tech now.

Tractors and equipment costs hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:26 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,501,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
We who live rurally also have a lot of savvy about getting things WITHOUT MONEY. We barter for things from each other - from labor to produce to meat. A bushel of turnips for homemade sausage (I grew the turnips, my friend's DH raises pigs), five bushels of apples in exchange for three or four homemade pies, etc. I even "bartered" my kitty's checkup this summer. The vet accepted free cucumbers and squash from me in exchange for her exam.
So very true. This week I am trading some of my smoked salmon for some moose.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:35 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,255,421 times
Most rural people are not ignorant. Far from it. I live in the city, and mostly grew up in town, but have also lived in remote areas. I can assure anyone that ignorance is in both rural and city areas.

I think in rural areas, you tend to see a more community effort of people coming in to help when things go bad.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:36 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,255,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
So very true. This week I am trading some of my smoked salmon for some moose.
LOL, I wish I could get some moose. No moose in Oklahoma.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:55 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,675,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Now that comment p*sses me off more than most you make. When some intelligent people comment and you jump in with that kind of crap it makes me wonder.

Hey, I wondered where you were hiding out.
Unlike the inflammatory garbage you post links to, roy, my comment wasn't meant to p*ss anyone off. I assume that most of those who expressed anger at my comment have been to rural America, so you all know exactly what I am talking about. You're just being too politically correct to call it like you really see it. As for the food comment, I have a garden -- growing food isn't rocket science, but I do appreciate rural America's farming efforts. They should stick to agriculture and leave governance to others.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:57 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,624,179 times
Anyone who equates one's ignorance level with their proximity to a Starbucks would seem to be the ignorant one, IMO.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:58 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,907,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Anyone who equates one's ignorance level with their proximity to a Starbucks would seem to be the ignorant one, IMO.
Shhhh,don't you know,the intelligentsia hang out at Starbucks....

Old 09-21-2011, 08:03 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,675,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
You obviously haven't spent much time in America's urban 'hoods.

Not too many of the scholarly types there either. Plus you can throw in a dash of savage, violent behavior.

In their minds the gov't cant do enough for them
Guess again. I've spent plenty of time in urban 'hoods -- I can't say they're bastions of knowledge either.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:21 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,576,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Groups or mobs that hold anti-Government sentiments are more likely to be in rural areas than they are in big cities or suburbs. Why is that?
Higher concentrations of rednecks/conservatives/low information types who tend to watch FOX News more and have been trained by Republicans that the government is evil.

Which is ironic, considering the people who perpetuate these myths about the need for less government, and that government can't do anything right, are Republicans.

What would be entirely accurate is if these same people were to say they are responsible for most of the problems facing America.

But FOX wouldn't report this even if they did, and the base would then have no way of knowing this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies