Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 02:16 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,485,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You are much too subtle for me. How exactly are you rebutting my argument? Why should I be embarrassed? Where in my post did I talk about white, right-wing voters at all?

My argument is that people vote for their own self-interests. Rural and urban citizens vote for their interests. Many rural residents do not benefit from a wide swath of government programs, and balk at their tax dollars going towards those programs. From an urban perspective that may seem anti-government, but it's not anti-government. It's just people who don't think they should share the burden of costs for programs that don't benefit them. It's in the self-interest of urbanites to get rural citizens to help pay for urban projects because it lowers their own costs. It's not in the self-interest of rural citizens. And so urbanites re-cast the argument as anti-government versus pro-government, when that's not the real underlying issue.
That is precisely what I said back in post #38 of this thread.

Quote:
those who live in rural areas are tired of paying for ever-increasing government services that only those living in urban areas use
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 02:40 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,623,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I own a farm in Jefferson County Oklahoma where my family is from. One of the most impoverished majority white counties in the State and the Nation. It's towns are filled with white's on welfare, with a few extremely wealthy ranchers/farmers who own all the land. Meth labs, burglaries are a big problem as well. I know rural. So don't give me this rural people are better Americans crap.
So your perception of rural people as a whole is completely skewed based on where you live, which you admit is one of the most impoverished and crime-filled rural places in the country. Somehow that applies to all people living in rural areas.

That's like comparing Detroit to Seattle.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:50 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,665,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
So your perception of rural people as a whole is completely skewed based on where you live, which you admit is one of the most impoverished and crime-filled rural places in the country. Somehow that applies to all people living in rural areas.

That's like comparing Detroit to Seattle.
Give it a rest, Vej. If you're even faintly familiar with rual America, you know pad is right.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:51 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,227,861 times
Padcrasher stated:
Rural people are the most ignorant and desiring of authoritarian leadership compared with the urban areas

Like others here, I'd like to see the links supporting that claim,....not some CSM articles that doesn't speak to the questions asked.

Old 09-21-2011, 02:59 PM

39,897 posts, read 26,574,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Give it a rest, Vej. If you're even faintly familiar with rual America, you know pad is right.
I live in an area that's about as rural as you can get, and Pad's description doesn't fit my area at all. We have a large number of small business owners, professionals and retirees. Describing all areas as he does is no different than saying Manhatten is like the ghettos of Detroit. Like most things, there is no one size fits all answer. But, once again, thanks for showing how ignorant your sterotypes are.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:01 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,053,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Padcrasher stated:
Rural people are the most ignorant and desiring of authoritarian leadership compared with the urban areas

Like others here, I'd like to see the links supporting that claim,....not some CSM articles that doesn't speak to the questions asked.
I have the sneaking suspicion that the poster you speak of wont be back.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I have the sneaking suspicion that the poster you speak of wont be back.
What's that old saying,...."be silent and be thought a fool rather than opening thy mouth and removing all doubt".

Old 09-21-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I live in an area that's about as rural as you can get, and Pad's description doesn't fit my area at all. We have a large number of small business owners, professionals and retirees. Describing all areas as he does is no different than saying Manhatten is like the ghettos of Detroit. Like most things, there is no one size fits all answer. But, once again, thanks for showing how ignorant your sterotypes are.
I'm familiar with northern Idaho, Toy. I lived there for the better part of a year. I'm also familiar with rural Indiana, Misssissippi, Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina and a few other spots. Trust me, northern Idaho is an exception -- due to the large number of transplants who move there, btw. (Been to Bonner's Ferry though? Where the transplants haven't penetrated?) Of course there are exceptions to every stereotype, but I firmly stand by my observations. Oh, and stats back them up too.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
No,...padcrasher is "left",...far left. And anyone who makes unsubstantiated statements like WestCobb is not far behind.

But in summary,....you lefties feel free to stay in your urban areas. Those of us who live in rural America don't need the aggravation you would temporarily bring to the country.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
No,...padcrasher is "left",...far left. And anyone who makes unsubstantiated statements like WestCobb is not far behind.

But in summary,....you lefties feel free to stay in your urban areas. Those of us who live in rural America don't need the aggravation you would temporarily bring to the country.
I get around quite a bit, sol. I can't guarantee I won't be hanging out in your rural neck of the woods one of these days. Don't worry though. I won't stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies