Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 08:33 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,092,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Have you been to rural America? If you have, the answer should be obvious -- it's ignorance.
LOL...eat your paperwork and pencils then if the crap ever DOES hit the fan as the rightwingers keep predicting to keep their slaves in line...us ignorant rural guys will just keep getting fatter on our home raised stock,gardens and wildlife.

I never could understand that attitude from urbanites/suburbanites....they do very little that is tangible or worthwhile in life to others and think everything is grown in their local store....shallow idiots maybe?I don't know,you be the judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:38 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,467,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
LOL...eat your paperwork and pencils then if the crap ever DOES hit the fan as the rightwingers keep predicting to keep their slaves in line...us ignorant rural guys will just keep getting fatter on our home raised stock,gardens and wildlife.

I never could understand that attitude from urbanites/suburbanites....they do very little that is tangible or worthwhile in life to others and think everything is grown in their local store....shallow idiots maybe?I don't know,you be the judge.
Shallow idiots indeed.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,473,927 times
There are three types of Alaskans - Urban, Rural, and Bush. The difference between a rural and a bush Alaskan is whether or not they live on the road system. If they do live on the road system (like me), but not in any city or town, then they are rural Alaskans. Otherwise, they are bush Alaskans.

Just as there are many urban Alaskans who would have serious problems living in rural Alaska. There are many rural Alaskans who would have serious problems living in bush Alaska. Bush Alaskans are completely off the grid. They have to provide their own heat, power, food, and water, and they receive no government services.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:46 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,622,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Vej, as other posters have pointed out, rural areas vary just as cities do. Detroit and Portland, Ore. are both cities, but the crime rates in each aren't comparable. I think most non rural Americans would be surprised to learn just how grimy many rural areas are. When city dwellers think about small town America, they usually don't think about crime, drugs, welfare queens, etc. (I didn't.) However, those of us who have gotten around and seen America realize that the idyllic stereotypes are very flawed. Rural areas can be quite nasty.
I don't deny that there are some rough, poverty and crime infested rural areas. I've seen a few of them, however the vast majority of rural towns and places I've experienced are full of humble, independent people. I just don't like that negative image being applied to all rural Americans as a blanket stereotype.

One of the problems with rural places is they can act as a magnet for welfare abusers. Someone can live there extremely inexpensively, so that naturally entices people who live on welfare to move to those places. Property taxes are very low and homes can often be bought for the price of a new car, so one can live a fairly comfortable life on the government dole when your house payment is only $200.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I don't deny that there are some rough, poverty and crime infested rural areas. I've seen a few of them, however the vast majority of rural towns and places I've experienced are full of humble, independent people. I just don't like that negative image being applied to all rural Americans as a blanket stereotype.

One of the problems with rural places is they can act as a magnet for welfare abusers. Someone can live there extremely inexpensively, so that naturally entices people who live on welfare to move to those places. Property taxes are very low and homes can often be bought for the price of a new car, so one can live a fairly comfortable life on the government dole when your house payment is only $200.
That is very true...living is extremely cheap and easy where I live and it does make life easier on all kinds of lowlifes,but the cities are full of them too...all areas have their own set of problems to deal with.

The main thing I like around here is the people will help each other without a second thought...you're snowed in?somebody shows up with a tractor.You have a problem on the road?Everybody stops to check on you.Someone passes away?the funeral home is jam packed with friends and relatives for support.....I like that vs the cities I have been forced to stay in for work in the past.Just my preference is all and it's definately not a one size fits all around here tho'.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:

They may appear as "shallow idiots", but appearances can be deceiving. They have simply lost touch with reality, that is all. There is a complete disconnect between where their food originates, and its cellophane-wrapped "magical" appearance in grocery stores.

When you get right down to it, why should urban dwellers and suburbanites be concerned with where their food originates, or what is required to process that food? It is never part of their lives. All they have to do is buy it at the grocery store. No thought into that food item's background is required. Naturally, it makes them more dependent on the system, but some prefer it that way.

Cities are a completely different environment from rural areas. If you were to take someone who has lived their entire life within a city and suddenly drop them into the country, they would be just as lost as if you were to take someone who was raised their entire life in the country and suddenly drop them into a metropolis. Both environments require different skill sets.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,034,558 times
Quote:

The main thing I like around here is the people will help each other without a second thought...you're snowed in?somebody shows up with a tractor.You have a problem on the road?Everybody stops to check on you.Someone passes away?the funeral home is jam packed with friends and relatives for support.....I like that vs the cities I have been forced to stay in for work in the past.Just my preference is all and it's definately not a one size fits all around here tho'.
This is what I have always loved about not living in a city.
You actually know your neighbors, I cant recall ever having more than a nodding acquaintance with neighbors when I lived in the city.
I prefer rural.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
"Crime infested rural areas?" Really? By definition rural areas have a much lower population density than cities. Even the worst rural areas cannot compare to the crime rates in any city where the population density is considerably higher.

Quote:
In Alaska we require anyone who receives State welfare to pay it back, in full. If necessary, the State will withhold their Permanent Fund Dividends to ensure that any State assistance is paid back to the State. We are not able to do this for federal welfare, obviously, just State welfare. Welfare parasites would not like living in Alaska.

Unlike liberals, we give people a hand up out of their situation, not a hand out.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
They may appear as "shallow idiots", but appearances can be deceiving. They have simply lost touch with reality, that is all. There is a complete disconnect between where their food originates, and its cellophane-wrapped "magical" appearance in grocery stores.

When you get right down to it, why should urban dwellers and suburbanites be concerned with where their food originates, or what is required to process that food? It is never part of their lives. All they have to do is buy it at the grocery store. No thought into that food item's background is required. Naturally, it makes them more dependent on the system, but some prefer it that way.

Cities are a completely different environment from rural areas. If you were to take someone who has lived their entire life within a city and suddenly drop them into the country, they would be just as lost as if you were to take someone who was raised their entire life in the country and suddenly drop them into a metropolis. Both environments require different skill sets.
So true...this area draws Chicagoans like a moth to light for some reason...1 in 10,000 ever learn to fit in or get the picture on why they moved here in the first place which is not to bring their big city regulations/problems with them.

Same with me...I have had to work in large cities before and felt helpless and lost 99% of the time and just wanted to go home constantly...I can't deal with the noise,lights and total chaos around me...just not geared for it.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:20 AM

39,876 posts, read 26,550,083 times
Quote:
That is very true...living is extremely cheap and easy where I live and it does make life easier on all kinds of lowlifes,but the cities are full of them too...all areas have their own set of problems to deal with.
Not the case around here at all. The inexpensive places are in towns or the cookie cutter housing developments. Rural land has gotten expensive. You can buy a nice track house in a development for just the price of a nice parcel of bare land in the country.

Quote:
Same with me...I have had to work in large cities before and felt helpless and lost 99% of the time and just wanted to go home constantly...I can't deal with the noise,lights and total chaos around me...just not geared for it.
Here too. I can tolerate large cities when I need to for work, for a short time. But the crowds, traffic, noise, lack of space, boredom (can't go ATV/dirt bike, shoot, hike, nowhere to fish or camp, etc) drive me a bit nuts, I'm ready to leave in a few days. I'm just glad many people like living like that...rural areas would be even more crowded otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies