Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:38 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,685,226 times

Advertisements

Groups or mobs that hold anti-Government sentiments are more likely to be in rural areas than they are in big cities or suburbs. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:46 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,337,216 times
I suspect people are more used to being self-sufficient in rural areas and get tired of Big Brother always nosing into their lives.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:47 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,847,343 times
Because you see a lot less government (and a lot less need for government) in rural areas compared to in urban areas.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:49 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
Have you been to rural America? If you have, the answer should be obvious -- it's ignorance.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:52 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,676 times
A lot of them move there on purpose (at least if we are talking about groups) because they achieve a greater degree of de facto (and often de jure) liberty by doing so, which is usually what they are looking for. I keep track of such groups for my own research and it's become pretty clear that it is a never-ending process. Each new 'generation' gets the idea to head to location X in their quest to find their preferred life. People who don't like government often tend to go where government involvement in matters if importance to them is less acute.

A more interesting question might be (and perhaps also part of your inquiry), are rural people (i.e. people who grew up in such a location, either for one or more generations) more inclined to be anti-government? Seems like a pretty mixed bag to me, some are, some aren't... but that demographic probably is more anti-government. Why? I would say it is because many of them have grown accustomed to a certain kind of lifestyle in the same way that city dwellers and suburbanites have grown accustomed to their life, and to many people, that tends to form a baseline of ethics for what they think is "normal" or preferential. In their case, growing up in a place where they are subject to less government intrusion tends to form an ethical baseline for how much intrusion they think is tolerable.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,953,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Groups or mobs that hold anti-Government sentiments are more likely to be in rural areas than they are in big cities or suburbs. Why is that?
Do you have a link or any proof to back up your assertion in your thread title? Or, is this thread, like so many others, just another baseless accusation?

It would seem to me there are plenty of activist groups in urban areas. Just this past weekend there was the "Occupy Wallstreet" group. I don't see SEIU protesting in rural America. Michael Bloomberg wasn't warning of riots in rural areas.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:54 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Because you see a lot less government (and a lot less need for government) in rural areas compared to in urban areas.
Really? Because I lived in South Georgia and there was high proportion of the people there on government aid of some sort. This whole "independent self sufficient don't need to gubmint 'round here" is just a stereotype.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:55 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,818,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Have you been to rural America? If you have, the answer should be obvious -- it's ignorance.
This

Old 09-20-2011, 07:09 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,869,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post

Link please.

Old 09-20-2011, 08:17 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Those "ignorant" in rural America feed you and don't you forget that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies