Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2011, 12:08 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,627,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Really?

You don't think that being able to effectively run the equipment necessary to operate a farm, plant, raise and harvest fields as large as many farms have, and effectively allot time to all necessary chores isn't something that requires an education and intelligence?

I have met a number of farmers in my day, and many of them are well educated, extremely intelligent, and much more savvy than people give them credit for. Many would be excellent leaders as far as I am concerned, much more than some of the jokers we have in office who believe it's best to take away from people who work, and give to people who don't.
I grew up on a small family farm and I know exactly how much knowledge and intelligence is required to operate a successful farm. A modern farmer has to be part mechanic, part accountant and part biologist to keep the farm running.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 PM

13,186 posts, read 15,033,725 times
It's the same all over the World. Rural people are the most ignorant and desiring of authoritarian leadership compared with the urban areas. In the Ukraine...the rural areas still support to the old communist parties, whereas the urban areas are pro-West. In Zimbabwe, the rural areas compromise the despot Mugabe's base of support. In the US the rural areas have higher divorce rates, higher teenage pregnancy rates, more poverty, less education, etc. It boils down to lower IQs.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:24 PM

39,957 posts, read 26,734,628 times
We've already established that urban areas draw the less self-sufficient and skillful portions of our population. I'd like to look at crime rates in urban areas vs. rural ones. Why do urban crime rates nearly always dramatically exceed those in rural areas? Is it because the same helplessness and herd mentality that draws certain people to urban areas also attracts the criminal element? Is it because urban dwellers are seen as less capable of defending themselves, and therefore easy targets for criminals? Or is it because crowding a large mass of people into a small area increases tension and drives criminal behavior?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:29 PM

23,405 posts, read 37,183,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
In the US the rural areas have higher divorce rates, higher teenage pregnancy rates, more poverty, less education, etc. It boils down to lower IQs.
Links?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
We've already established that urban areas draw the less self-sufficient and skillful portions of our population. I'd like to look at crime rates in urban areas vs. rural ones. Why do urban crime rates nearly always dramatically exceed those in rural areas? Is it because the same helplessness and herd mentality that draws certain people to urban areas also attracts the criminal element? Is it because urban dwellers are seen as less capable of defending themselves, and therefore easy targets for criminals? Or is it because crowding a large mass of people into a small area increases tension and drives criminal behavior?
Crime rates are heavily influenced by demographics. You will find the higher crime areas have high black/hispanic populations.

Account for that and you will find rural areas likely have higher rates of violence when you compare white urban to white rural, black urban to black rural, hispanic urban to hispanic rural.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Links?
When I show you the link will it change your mind? Provided the data comes from government reports?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:51 PM

23,405 posts, read 37,183,211 times
Quote:
When I show you the link will it change your mind? Provided the data comes from government reports?
I cannot say if reading the link will change my mind at all, but post it.
The area I come from originally has had 1 murder in the last 5 years, is very low crime, has a high literacy rate, low teen pregnancy, and I know its not the only area in the US like that.
Statistical data can be skewed, but I will read the report.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:13 PM

5,521 posts, read 9,562,069 times
People who live in cities understand--first hand--the need for government regulation.

For example, if I decided to burn some leaves in my back yard, I might make many of my neighbors miserable. And, even if no one is bothered by my burning leaves, what if half of the 70,000 people living in my city decided they were also going to burn leaves? If someone in the country burns their leaves, it's a lot less likely that somone will be harmed simply because the neighbors are farther away.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:20 PM

42,732 posts, read 30,036,048 times
Quote:
It's the same all over the World. Rural people are the most ignorant and desiring of authoritarian leadership compared with the urban areas. In the Ukraine...the rural areas still support to the old communist parties, whereas the urban areas are pro-West. In Zimbabwe, the rural areas compromise the despot Mugabe's base of support. In the US the rural areas have higher divorce rates, higher teenage pregnancy rates, more poverty, less education, etc. It boils down to lower IQs.
Pshaw, it does not!

There are plenty of high IQ's in rural areas. And not wanting government intrusion is a far cry from desiring an authoritarian leadership.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I cannot say if reading the link will change my mind at all, but post it.
The area I come from originally has had 1 murder in the last 5 years, is very low crime, has a high literacy rate, low teen pregnancy, and I know its not the only area in the US like that.
Statistical data can be skewed, but I will read the report.
High divorce rates and teen pregnancy are worse in conservative states than liberal states - CSMonitor.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies