Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2011, 08:56 PM

36 posts, read 21,189 times

Advertisements

Who do you think your fooling? I live in "Rural America" and 95% of us do not work farms and work plantations. There are a few farmers and I stress few. Most live on family property they inherited or work locally or commute into the suburbs or city for work. Most get their food from grocery stores or small markets and stands. A few go to the local farmer to acquire those items. Please stop with this imaginary house on the prairie lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
So true! We work hard to burn off all that unhealthy "crap" we eat - like venison and locally raised beef, fresh vegetables from our own gardens, peaches, and pears from our own trees,abundant blackberries and blueberries in our own backyard...and cantaloupes. We don't have to worry about getting listeria from our own cantaloupes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,758,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conquering Wind View Post
Who do you think your fooling? I live in "Rural America" and 95% of us do not work farms and work plantations. There are a few farmers and I stress few. Most live on family property they inherited or work locally or commute into the suburbs or city for work. Most get their food from grocery stores or small markets and stands. A few go to the local farmer to acquire those items. Please stop with this imaginary house on the prairie lifestyle.
Thank you. You'd be surprised by how many well meaning urban dwellers who have never been to rural America would be taken in by that crap. Those of us who have gotten around in the country and have seen a rual, urban and suburban America aren't fooled though.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 85,128,076 times
Quote:
I imagine you're not from Texas. Even those that live out in the country and commute to work run a few cows and poultry and bale hay (when there is grass) for extra income.

If you don't do Ag you won't get an Ag exemption on your taxes.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:14 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,625,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
And more ignorant about the ways of the world. Don't forget that one.
Why would you consider city critters to be more ignorant about the ways of the world?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:19 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,035,624 times
Quote:
Your claims of ignorance on the part of rural dwellers are little more than an attempt to make yourself feel superior.

Many of us have lived in large cities prior to relocating to a rural location.
I've lived in New York City, Paris, Los Angeles, Chicago, and New Orleans. I've spent ample time in scores of other large cities. Plenty of other rural dwellers have similar experience.

It's sad your self confidence is so low that you feel the need to demean others to feel better about yourself.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 PM

23,405 posts, read 37,266,630 times
Quote:
Really?
Care to expand on that?
We'll wait.
ETA: To expand on what outbacknv just said, I have lived in several cities in the US, I also lived in Europe, I have a masters degree from a VERY good university, so please..........tell me just why it is that I am more ignorant in the ways of the world than, say, you.
I'll clean my Galil while I am awaiting your response.

Last edited by kshe95girl; 09-23-2011 at 09:36 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 09:22 PM

86,052 posts, read 85,128,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Your claims of ignorance on the part of rural dwellers are little more than an attempt to make yourself feel superior.

Many of us have lived in large cities prior to relocating to a rural location.
I've lived in New York City, Paris, Los Angeles, Chicago, and New Orleans. I've spent ample time in scores of other large cities. Plenty of other rural dwellers have similar experience.

It's sad your self confidence is so low that you feel the need to demean others to feel better about yourself.
I was born and raised in NYC myself and now live on 45 acres commuting to the local town (5K pop) to work while running cows and poultry.

I'll take rural any day.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:26 PM

23,405 posts, read 37,266,630 times
Quote:
Plantations?
Dont you have a barbecue to go to, Miz Scarlett?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:32 PM

36 posts, read 21,189 times
Whose home are you living in? Who did you inherit it from? Grannie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Plantations?
Dont you have a barbecue to go to, Miz Scarlett?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,625,716 times
Quote:
Why would I want to live in a house on a prairie?

This is my idea of an ideal habitat:

Some 6,000 feet up the south face of Denali (Mount McKinley to you lower-48ers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies