Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:30 PM

27,620 posts, read 15,703,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Groups or mobs that hold anti-Government sentiments are more likely to be in rural areas than they are in big cities or suburbs. Why is that?

The basis for this thread outside of your statement is.............?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 10:31 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,618,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
No, not really. I don't understand, I am jealous of rural accents? I doubt it, I'm happy with my neutral Midwestern accent.
Those mid-western accents are pretty boring, I will give you that much. The old Mutual of Omaha TV series put me to sleep every time.

I like to keep people guessing, so I will often use a different accent for the same word.

Old 09-26-2011, 05:06 AM

5,864 posts, read 5,024,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Those mid-western accents are pretty boring, I will give you that much. The old Mutual of Omaha TV series put me to sleep every time.

I like to keep people guessing, so I will often use a different accent for the same word.
Well I like that I can pretty much blend in anywhere and not stand out completely. The most anyone can guess is that I'm "not from around here." Although lately my friends back north have told me I sound "more southern," so it's time to get out of the south.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:24 AM

42,732 posts, read 30,132,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
No, what I tire of us is the whole inferiority complex that many rural Americans have with the whole "oh city slicker in your black shiny car think you so much better than me cuz you gots fancy college 'grees n' stuffs, well I can farm and live off the land." It's a persecution complex, so many country slickers think that everyone from the suburb/city is mocking them or looking down on them, they constantly whine about this. But then to sit on this thread and do the exact thing you complain so mightily about is tad hypocritical. Most of the "city slickers" on here rarely complain about being "looked down upon," so when they talk trash at least they're not being hypocrites.

I also tire of the "oh po' city slicker couldn't last a day out heruh in these parts." Please, just because I don't live in a trailer or on a farm doesn't mean I can't handle myself. I grew up in a suburb that was literally 5 minutes away from being in farm country, anyone from my part of Minnesota can attest to that. I've also lived in Southern California, Virginia, rural south Georgia, and now I live in the city in north Georgia. Stop with the arrogance. Or at the very least don't whine when it's dished right back to you.
Right. When another poster comes and says outright that rural people are ignorant, you get riled that rural posters have the nerve to object. It's not an imagined slight when someone blatantly tell you that they are better than you. And you might want to read the thread to see which side threw the first stone. Because it wasn't a poster from rural America.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:41 AM

17,468 posts, read 13,052,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The EPA, in their attempt to punish those rural people, says that all the dust those farmers raise turning the ground and driving on unpaved roads is something that they need to stop happening. Oh yeah, raising all that dust is causing an extremely large footprint, according to Lisa Jackson and her cohorts.
Oh yeah, city people do love their paved roads. In the sub-division I live in, we had a dirt road. Most of us liked it, it kept people from driving to fast. The rich city dwellers who ventured to the country and couldn't handle the 2 months of dust, begged to have it paved.

Now those 5 people are gone and we are 6 years later still paying for the unnecessary paved road. I think people from the city just like to spend money, even when it's not their's.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:55 AM

17,468 posts, read 13,052,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I try to educate when I get the whiff of city slicker.
I show them my chicken yard and explain that all eggs are not perfect and the same shade of brown.
One even asked why I was growing weeds and I pointed out that they were onions.
This is if they are interested.

Then there are others that view fresh eggs with speckles on them and different shades of brown as "flawed" and just leave without a purchase. These type of folks are better left in the city.
Now I see why the stores only sell very white looking eggs and as close to the same shape. Hate to confuse those city people, most don't know where those eggs really came from. Heck, most only eat the whites anyway!!

Old 10-03-2011, 09:00 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,618,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Now I see why the stores only sell very white looking eggs and as close to the same shape. Hate to confuse those city people, most don't know where those eggs really came from. Heck, most only eat the whites anyway!!
Duh! Everyone knows you grow eggs like you grow tomatoes. That is why they call them "eggplants."

Old 10-04-2011, 09:19 PM

12,436 posts, read 12,034,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Oh yeah, city people do love their paved roads. In the sub-division I live in, we had a dirt road. Most of us liked it, it kept people from driving to fast. The rich city dwellers who ventured to the country and couldn't handle the 2 months of dust, begged to have it paved.

Now those 5 people are gone and we are 6 years later still paying for the unnecessary paved road. I think people from the city just like to spend money, even when it's not their's.
Those danged city slickers want paved roads...Communists

Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,987,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Those danged city slickers want paved roads...Communists
Did you miss the part where the people who demanded it be paved are no longer there.

I think citiots are funny in their stupidity.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:24 PM

8,288 posts, read 13,648,743 times
Rural America has a independent streak but so does Urban America!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies