Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 07:17 PM

587 posts, read 1,467,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlueBlue View Post
Mexican drug cartel.
This is one time they can't blame Mexicans.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The panel discussion on Meet the Press this morning was very interesting. It's still available online. A big point that was made was that BOTH sides, inside and outside of Congress need to civilize the tone of the public discourse... that the polarization and meanspiritedness that is all over the media needs to stop, for any number of reasons but for one, because it gives disturbed individuals like the shooter here more justification, and perhaps motivation, for their unbalanced actions. There was an interesting quote from a Bill Clinton speech on the anniversary of Oklahoma City that spoke to this issue well:

"What we learned from Oklahoma City is, not that we should gag each other or that we should reduce our passion for the positions we hold, but that the words we use really do matter because there are--there's this vast echo chamber, and they go across space and they fall on the serious and the delirious alike. They fall on the connected and the unhinged alike."
and I couldn't agree more.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:19 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well then it really isn't politics after all is it? It is the actions of a nut, as I have been saying all along.
Politics seems to have been the context.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:20 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
I think it is pretty clear now, the Left owes Palin, the Tea Party and people on the Right a huge apology for what they have tried to do here.

Suspect Fixated on Giffords - WSJ.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post
You couldn't be any more wrong.

He was kicked out of college last year, he was rejected from the military, which he worked hard trying to get fit. He was fixated with Giffords, had meet her before, had attended an event.

Inherently, any attempt on the life of a politician is "political".

Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlier View Post

This is becoming circular, I intend to wait for the facts. You want to jump to concluisons be my guest. You will more than likely be proven wrong.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
This is one time they can't blame Mexicans.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
This is becoming circular, I intend to wait for the facts. You want to jump to concluisons be my guest. You will more than likely be proven wrong.
Whatever.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:23 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
How do you know what anyone was/wasn't doing when Bush was president, which has been 3+ years ago now? Do you tell people to knock it off when they talk about assassinating Obama (a topic that comes up here regularly)? "If not, you are as guilty as them."
It does? Please, point out the threads.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:26 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Indeed, our current climate is the result of multi-media. People who listen to Fox may not listen to MSNBC and vice versa. That is divisive, immediately, because one is then operating in a bubble.

In addition, the tone - them against us - instead of "WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER" has split this country.

Would that this could be a wakeup call for everyone to learn to discuss, examine and compromise, in a CIVIL manner - for the good of the whole. Instead of the constant haranguing of 'I'm right, you're wrong,' 'lock and load,' 'put 'em in your crosshairs,' 'take 'em out,' 'if words don't work, we'll use bullets' - all recent pronouncements by politically prominent people - which make it seem as though deranged thinking, anger, aggressiveness, hate - is OK.

WORDS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:32 PM

648 posts, read 1,175,171 times
"All he did was play video games and play music," said Tommy Marriotti, a high school friend.
Suspect Fixated on Giffords - WSJ.com

I KNEW IT I KNEW IT I KNEW IT!!! Had that one nailed from the start. Soon as I saw his photo I read him like a book. Obsessive video game playing is BAD FOR YOUNG PEOPLE and CAN contribute to mental illness & ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOR... sometimes violence. WHERE OH WHERE were those deadbeat parents who he lived with, while he was playing video games all day/night....???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies