Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 05:21 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Again, we'll have to disagree. Even the 24 hour news cycle has expanded exponentially in more recent times. (I assume you weren't around for the early 20th century you discuss. )

Besides that, the discourse has become much more personal and vitriolic, hate-filled in nature. The 60's discourse, despite the violent anti government attitude you describe, was really not the same, because it was long before the media explosion we have now. And what is seen and heard in the media then goes out to the social networking sites and, well, forums like this one and countless others, to get spun and commented on and argued about some more.

It's not the same. But, no matter what your position on that issue, does it mean that because it's always been that way, there's no need to change it???
I think what you see now in the media is a counterweight to what was once dominated by the liberal press. Not too long ago, people got their news from the three broadcast networks, ABC, CBS, NBC and in the print media, the NYT, LAT and WaPo. Now, with multiples sources in a wide variety of ideology, you have those voices competing with each other for the "facts", disputing each other, offering differing viewpoints and debate.

It didn't use to be that way. What the traditional MSM had to say was it. Now there are so many outlets where you can come by the information LEFT OUT by the MSM, or come by stories IGNORED by the MSM, or come by different interpretation that the MSM present.

We see today the MSM doing just as expected - leaving out information from their pieces because it doesn't fit the narrative/agenda they are trying to push.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:23 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I'm not referring to this case specifically, and neither were the panelists. Even if what they spoke of did not lead him specifically to this unspeakable act, we don't know, and may never know, what effect it had on his whole way of thinking over the last few years, particularly if he was already having psychological issues.

If you think the rhetoric in this 24 hour news environment and talk radio everywhere is the same as at any other point in your life, (and you really aren't a kid) well, we will just have to respectfully disagree on that.
True, I can't imagine that NPR was always wishing cancer on republicans and their famlies over the airwaves...

Old 01-09-2011, 05:25 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
True, I can't imagine that NPR was always wishing cancer on republicans and their famlies over the airwaves...
It was AIDS.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:31 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,497,864 times
Indeed, our current climate is the result of multi-media. People who listen to Fox may not listen to MSNBC and vice versa. That is divisive, immediately, because one is then operating in a bubble.

In addition, the tone - them against us - instead of "WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER" has split this country.

Would that this could be a wakeup call for everyone to learn to discuss, examine and compromise, in a CIVIL manner - for the good of the whole. Instead of the constant haranguing of 'I'm right, you're wrong,' 'lock and load,' 'put 'em in your crosshairs,' 'take 'em out,' 'if words don't work, we'll use bullets' - all recent pronouncements by politically prominent people - which make it seem as though deranged thinking, anger, aggressiveness, hate - is OK.

WORDS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
It sounds as if he may have decided to kill her before the rhetoric reached such a fevered pitch.

I'm not condoning the rhetoric in any way and I do believe that it can have an effect on the thoughts and actions of those who listen to it. And it's reflective of the divisiveness that is ripping this country apart.

Its difficult to know what made him "think that killing her would be a good idea"...the sociopathic mind tends to be mysterious..but the usual pattern is that they fixate on someone, often a public figure, and aren't easily swayed from their course once that happens.

There have been a couple of cases in which the sociopathic killer has been inflamed by positive press involving their victims as well.

It's been...well, disconcerting to see liberals in the Alaska forum calling for Palin's arrest over this and becoming abusive to those who don't agree that it's warranted. The idiocy of one in particular has really opened my eyes.
I certainly wouldn't call for Palin's arrest! Nor the arrests of any other vocal "talk celebrities" out there. I think Palin gets only a small amount of credit, and that she is just going along with the trend.

I wonder if an attorney has been appointed for him yet. I guess he'll have to have two attorneys, one for the federal charges, and one for state charges when they are filed, if they are filed. Certainly there will be psychological evaluations.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:36 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,506,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Indeed, our current climate is the result of multi-media. People who listen to Fox may not listen to MSNBC and vice versa. That is divisive, immediately, because one is then operating in a bubble.

In addition, the tone - them against us - instead of "WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER" has split this country.

Would that this could be a wakeup call for everyone to learn to discuss, examine and compromise, in a CIVIL manner - for the good of the whole. Instead of the constant haranguing of 'I'm right, you're wrong,' 'lock and load,' 'put 'em in your crosshairs,' 'take 'em out,' 'if words don't work, we'll use bullets' - all recent pronouncements by politically prominent people - which make it seem as though deranged thinking, anger, aggressiveness, hate - is OK.

WORDS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.
Except there's no evidence that what you are talking about has anything to do with what happened here.

Except that the shooter appearently listened to leftest hate music, there's no reason to believe this was in anyway related to political pundits or rhetoric.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:37 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
And who pits "us vs them" ?
And who slants stories for their followers ?
And who stands up in front of Americans and urges the hatred on ?

Turn off the TV and start thinking for yourselves. You have a brain.
Go read the BBC or financial times or any NON popular one sided MSM site and start THINKING.
There IS a compromise for every situation that will placate both sides once you put your emotional baggage on the side.

United we stand
BUT
Divided we fall

Old 01-09-2011, 05:37 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,108,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh
It was AIDS.

you get the point...both sides have sunk to new lows...

Old 01-09-2011, 05:39 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

WORDS HAVE CONSEQUENCES.
For some odd reason, you forgot these "words";

Quote:
“They Bring a Knife…We Bring a Gun”, “Get in Their Faces!”, “I don’t want to quell anger. I think people are right to be angry! I’m angry!”, “Hit Back Twice As Hard”, “We talk to these folks… so I know whose ass to kick.“, “hand to hand combat”, “It’s time to Fight for it.”, “Punish your enemies.”, “I’m itching for a fight.”
coming from the TOP of the political rhetoric ladder.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:40 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Not really, we know no such thing, We do know he had a personal interest in the Congresswoman as he attended a rally for her in 2007. Everything else we know, we know from his Youtube videos. Burning a flag ranting about currency, not much else. Let's wait for the facts, shall we?
His ranting about currency and his Youtube videos ARE FACTS which we know about him. Direct evidence, so to speak. They tell us about his INTERESTS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies