Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 04:47 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,406,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Will our new openly gay soldiers be accepted by muslim countries they are helping to defend?

If a muslim soldier refuses to serve with an openly gay soldier what will the Obama Administration do?

Will DADT repeal cause problems for American troops serving in Muslim countries?
Did you not read your own link?

“Having gay officials in Middle Eastern countries first of all is not new,” Cooper said. “Another thing is when one looks at our allies in multinational force Iraq and MFI, or in ISA in Afghanistan, there are already western gay and lesbian service members serving in those capacities.”
Cooper acknowledged the fact that more traditional Muslims will be not like the development, but in terms of making the bad guys uncomfortable, having gays in the ranks can only be a benefit, he said.

“So is it going to be an issue for some? Maybe, but I’ll tell you, as a intelligence officer, I would recommend that we use it as a part of our psychological operations or our information operations. If it pisses off the Taliban, getting shot by a gay guy? Great,” he exclaimed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 05:11 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,316,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I feel sad for John McCain. It's a sad and pathetic end to a long and distinguished career. History is not on his side on this one and he will not be judged well.
I have to wonder what is going on in his life. His own wife filmed a commercial urging the repeal of DADT. His daughter also campaigned to repeal DADT. I have to wonder what the dinner conversation is like in their house these days.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Gotta love the comments from the FoxNews comment section of this story (and these are from just the last 2 minutes):

"Perhaps we will see an increase in friendly fire incidents. One could only hope"

"Straight people have no rights in this country anymore"

"We find gays revolting...'nuff said and that's reason enough for me."

"How about a camo dirty sanchez for the new guys.... or girls...what ever they think they are."

"Impeach the watermelon eater"

And the funniest part (in a sad way) is that many of the posts over there have been removed for being too hateful. Too much anti-gay hate for a FoxNews comment board - that's impressive.

Just further proof that the Conservative Movement in this country is based primarily on fear, hate, ignorance and bigotry and they only seek to maintain and expand the power of the wealthy and corporate interests.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And what will the effect be?

Here's my prediction:

1) A drop in recruiting.
2) A loss of unit conhesiveness where it's needed most.
3) A lot more "friendly fire" casualties on the battlefield.
Most people already KNOW if somebody in their unit is gay or lesibian or they probably suspect.

The majority of people that serve in the military are under 35. Most people in this geveration are simply "Over it" in terms of the ignorance, hate and bigotry that has been practiced by prior generations.

If you are in a combat unit your primary concern is if the guys or girls KNOW WHAT THE HELL THEY ARE DOING AND DO THEY HAVE YOUR BACK!

Old 12-23-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm religious and a Christian. I support ending DADT.
You would tend to be the exception.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
It is about friggin time that liberalism won a battle. I was actually surprised it passed.
History has shown in area of social and civil rights issues this country ALWAYS MOVES FORWARD. We just spend a considerable amount of time dragging some people by their knuckles.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
You do realize our laws come from the Holy Scriptures.

The ten commandments still hang in the Courts.
Prayer is still given in the house and senate. not that it is doing anything for those criminals.

The Book is our laws.

Keep your ignorance out of your bias.
Actually the Constitution is the basis of our laws. The first Amendment clearly states:

Quote:
Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
You are free to practice any religion you wish or none at all.

You have NO RIGHT to impose your beliefs on others.

Old 12-23-2010, 05:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,949,000 times
Finally! This was so overdue. Grats to those affected. Good to seen common sense prevail.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:05 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,555,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
The US Senate followed the lead of the US House and just voted 65-31 to repeal the law banning homosexuals from serving in the military (US Code Title 10, Section 654). Shortly, gay Americans will be able to serve their country openly, honestly, and with integrity. This move by congress reinforces our core American values of equality and freedom. It will serve to strengthen our military by removing a law that makes lying and deceit the codified policy of the US Armed Forces and by allowing all capable Americans to lend their talents to the service and defense of our nation.

What a wonderful day for America. I applaud this move.

Here's the roll call:

All Senate Democrats voted for repeal except 1 - Manchin (D-WV) did not vote.

The 2 independent senators both voted for repeal.

7 Republican senators voted for repeal - Brown (R-MA), Burr (R-NC), Collins (R-ME), Ensign (R-NV), Kirk (R-IL), Murkowski (R-AK), Snowe (R-ME).

3 Republican senator did not vote - Bunning (R-KY), Gregg (R-NH), Hatch (R-UT).

The other 31 Republican senators voted against repeal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TylvUGJIi_w .

Old 12-23-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Does anyone remember the story of Gideon in the Bible. If I were in the military, I would get out as fast as possible. No more victory in this corrupt military.
I also remember Santa Claus, Snow White, Mary Poppins, The Wizard of Oz, and Little Red Riding Hood.

What's your point, that the fairly tale you believe in doesn't approve of gay and lesbian people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies