Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 01:58 PM

25,845 posts, read 20,781,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
He crashed?
Yeah, he did.

"The crash was one of three early in McCain's aviation career in which his flying skills and judgment were faulted or questioned by Navy officials.

In his most serious lapse, McCain was "clowning" around in a Skyraider over southern Spain about December 1961 and flew into electrical wires, causing a blackout, according to McCain's own account as well as those of naval officers and enlistees aboard the carrier Intrepid. In another incident, in 1965, McCain crashed a T-2 trainer jet in Virginia.

After McCain was sent to Vietnam, his plane was destroyed in an explosion on the deck of an aircraft carrier in 1967. "

John Mccain Plane Crashes - McCain's mishaps in the cockpit - Los Angeles Times

I respect Sen. McCain's service, however, his behavior lately suggests to me that he does not respect those who have followed him in service. He repeatedly said that he would respect the recommendations from the military and when Adm. Mullen called for repeal, Sen. McCain refused to accept his recommendation. For this alone, I have absolutely no use for the man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 02:03 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,139,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
It seems that the gays are the ones who are selfish here. This new policy will cause the military to jump through hoops just so flaming homos can tell people they are gay. newsflash: Most people do not care, or don't want to know that you are gay.
If the bigots don't care, then why did they (and why do they still want to) kick out some 14,000 members of the military over the last 17 years simply because they were found out as gay?

If a fellow recruit in my boot camps asks "so, you got a girl back home?" why should I be thrown out the military for responding truthfully "no, but I have a wonderful boyfriend"?

NEWSFLASH: That's not "flaming homos" running around screaming they're gay just to get a reaction. It's about, and has always been about, simply being treated equally.

Last edited by hammertime33; 12-21-2010 at 02:13 PM..

Old 12-21-2010, 02:07 PM

37,193 posts, read 42,384,789 times
Quote:
This "fact" is not relevant. How do you know that gays have served with distinction? Did they come out after they completed their service? Did they call you directly to break the news?
But, lets say that you are correct: This means that they served as a US serviceman, NOT a gay serviceman. Do you think Michael Jordan wants to be known as a great black basketball player? Or Larry Bird as a great white basketball player? They were both great basketball players.
The overblown media attention to the gay issue does not help gays, it just stereotypes them as "gay"
They will still be servicemen. Whether they choose to talk about their personal life will be up to them. It's not like they want attention for their sexuality or anything...the military doesn't work that way. And if there are problems, like there are with some heterosexuals, it will be handled.

I don't know why people seem to this this is all about "coming out and celebrating our gayness"

Old 12-21-2010, 02:11 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,277,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
If the bigots don't care, then why did they (and why do they still want to) kick out some 14,000 members of the military simply because the find out their gay?

If a fellow recruit in my boot camps ask "so, you got a girl back home?" why should I be thrown out the military for responding truthfully "no, but I have a wonderful boyfriend"?

NEWSFLASH: That's not "flaming homos" running around screaming they're gay just to get a reaction. It's about, and has always been about, simply being treated equally.
LOL that would cause a silence in the room for sure. I am a bit old fashioned and admit it. I can accept an alternate life style and not care a bit about it. Hell what ever floats another guys boat if you will. I am just not used to hearing it said so openly. Better days ahead and I hope that someday its not shocking in the least even for me.
Its passed due anyway. gays have been serving and with no impact on moral. Why would that change simply because they don't have to keep it the unspoken secret?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:26 PM

25,845 posts, read 20,781,672 times
Quote:
This "fact" is not relevant. How do you know that gays have served with distinction? Did they come out after they completed their service? Did they call you directly to break the news?
But, lets say that you are correct: This means that they served as a US serviceman, NOT a gay serviceman. Do you think Michael Jordan wants to be known as a great black basketball player? Or Larry Bird as a great white basketball player? They were both great basketball players.
The overblown media attention to the gay issue does not help gays, it just stereotypes them as "gay"
"Matlovich, a recipient of the Bronze Star and Purple Heart for his combat service in Vietnam, spent five years fighting his discharge from the Air Force. "

Gay Veterans Gather To Honor Their Own - washingtonpost.com

Discrimination, pure and simple. He lost his career for being who God made him.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:50 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,716,965 times
Quote:
If the bigots don't care, then why did they (and why do they still want to) kick out some 14,000 members of the military over the last 17 years simply because they were found out as gay?

If a fellow recruit in my boot camps asks "so, you got a girl back home?" why should I be thrown out the military for responding truthfully "no, but I have a wonderful boyfriend"?

In that scenario the gay soldier would not be kicked out. Now if the gay guy said, yes I'm gay and here are some X -rated pictures to prove it then he might be kicked out!

Old 12-21-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
In that scenario the gay soldier would not be kicked out. Now if the gay guy said, yes I'm gay and here are some X -rated pictures to prove it then he might be kicked out!
Um, actually, that gay solider certainly would have been kicked out in that scenario. I know a several gay soldiers. All it would take to get one of them kicked out of the military was a simple phone call to his CO saying "Hey, did you know private so-and-so is a homosexual."

Of course that's all changed now the that congress has repealed the law banning homosexuals from serving in the military (US Code, Title 10, Chapter 37, Section 654). In case you haven't read the law, here are some highlights:

Finding (15) "The presence in the armed forces of persons who demonstrate a propensity or intent to engage in homosexual acts would create an unacceptable risk to the high standards of morale, good order and discipline, and unit cohesion that are the essence of military capability."

"(b) Policy.— A member of the armed forces shall be separated from the armed forces...if one or more of the following findings is made:

(1) That the member has engaged in, attempted to engage in, or solicited another to engage in a homosexual act...
(2) That the member has stated that he or she is a homosexual or bisexual, or words to that effect...
(3) That the member has married or attempted to marry a person known to be of the same biological sex."

In the scenario I laid out, he would have been dismissed for stating that he is a homosexual (section (2) of the policy).

Old 12-21-2010, 03:08 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,716,965 times
Quote:
Um, actually, that gay solider certainly would have been kicked out in that scenario. I know a several gay soldiers. All it would take to get one of them kicked out of the military was a simple phone call to his CO saying "Hey, did you know private so-and-so is a homosexual."

Of course that's all changed now the that congress has repealed the law banning homosexuals from serving in the military (US Code, Title 10, Chapter 37, Section 654). In case you haven't read the law, here are some highlights:

Finding (15) "The presence in the armed forces of persons who demonstrate a propensity or intent to engage in homosexual acts would create an unacceptable risk to the high standards of morale, good order and discipline, and unit cohesion that are the essence of military capability."

"(b) Policy.— A member of the armed forces shall be separated from the armed forces...if one or more of the following findings is made:

(1) That the member has engaged in, attempted to engage in, or solicited another to engage in a homosexual act...
(2) That the member has stated that he or she is a homosexual or bisexual, or words to that effect...
(3) That the member has married or attempted to marry a person known to be of the same biological sex."

In the scenario I laid out, he would have been dismissed for stating that he is a homosexual (section (2) of the policy).
well, that is a technicality. In reality, the "recruit" would not make the call to the commander. And, even if he did, commanders have much more important things to worry about than gay soldiers. Now, if gay soldiers are causing problems then the commander steps in and does something.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
well, that is a technicality. In reality, the "recruit" would not make the call to the commander. And, even if he did, commanders have much more important things to worry about than gay soldiers. Now, if gay soldiers are causing problems then the commander steps in and does something.
Of course there is a degree of discretion when it comes to reporting the knowledge of a crime. There are tons of soldiers who have become aware of the homosexuality of another and chose not to turn him in. In that case, they're both complicit in violating the law.

The fact of the matter is that roughly 14,000 gay service members have been kicked out of the military over the last 17 years for situations every bit as innocuous as the one I gave. In a lot of cases the gay solider just couldn't keep up lying about who they were ever single day for years on end, so they simply went to the CO and said - I'm gay. If the brass found out they were gay - no matter how they found out - then the gay solider was fired. No matter how you cut it, that's just plain old disgusting discrimination.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:08 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,822,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
"Matlovich, a recipient of the Bronze Star and Purple Heart for his combat service in Vietnam, spent five years fighting his discharge from the Air Force. "

Discrimination, pure and simple. He lost his career for being who God made him.

How God made him? Aren't you an athiest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies