Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2010, 04:38 AM

28,343 posts, read 16,428,033 times

Advertisements

I have several gay friends. What's your point? I have more straight friends than gay friends, so am I not allowed to have an opinion on this subject? No straight folks are allowed to think that gays should be able to serve openly or even <GASP> get married?

So, by your logic, no white folks were allowed to be against segregation and the discrimination that blacks suffered?

I have gay friends and I used to be in the military - as such, I'm more connected to/passionate about this issue than some. Is that really so odd?

Also, your wording of "now you claim to be straight?" made me chuckle. Nice subtle suggestion that I am being less than truthful. I can have my wife DM you and confirm that I'm straight, if it'll make you feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 04:59 AM

131 posts, read 209,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Hooligan, you have been the #1 cheerleader for gays, and now you claim to be sraight? What's up with that? You must have a close friend or brother who is gay?
You know, chances are YOU have a close friend or brother that is gay, but you don't know it. Probably because of this kind of goofy attitude.

Bring on the pansexual genderless utopia. WOO

Old 12-21-2010, 05:03 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,085,360 times
Way to go dems!

Bunch of morons.

Wait until we see the unintended consequences of this.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:09 AM

131 posts, read 209,458 times
You mean the NONE that the military has been saying will occur? What is this, the 50s? All of the other developed countries do JUST FINE with openly gay soldiers.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 AM

30,409 posts, read 52,039,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Hooligan, you have been the #1 cheerleader for gays, and now you claim to be sraight? What's up with that? You must have a close friend or brother who is gay?
Why do you assume that? Many many heterosexuals are "cheerleaders" for this cause, myself included, and that doesn't mean they're related to someone gay... I do happen to have some close gay friends, but a ton of my fellow "straight cheerleaders" do not. Do you think everyone is selfish, and only cares about things that directly affect THEM?

Also, this becomes a question of the chicken vs the egg - are people with gay friends more sympathetic because of their friends, or do they have gay friends because they're sympathetic to the cause? Hmmmmm.

Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 AM

563 posts, read 519,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
It's easy to marginalize equality when you're not the one being discriminated against, isn't it?

Look, I'm a straight guy and no longer in the military, so this doesn't directly effect me, either. However, it's easy for me to see the inequality/injustice of the Title 10/DADT era.
Is there more to that post? I was waiting for the punchline to be delivered?

Maginalize? So, it is important for someone who is gay or lesbian in the military to be able to announce they are what they are? How many straight soldiers get up and announce to their platoon that they are straight? I am asking you directly since you were in the military. What branch did you serve in?

Old 12-21-2010, 05:31 AM

563 posts, read 519,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
And what do you think the discrimination against gays is about? People just use "morals" to justify their feelings towards the other group. It's really the same thing.

There is lots of evidence to suggest you are 100% wrong on that.
So where is this "lots of evidence"?

Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
Is there more to that post? I was waiting for the punchline to be delivered?

Maginalize? So, it is important for someone who is gay or lesbian in the military to be able to announce they are what they are? How many straight soldiers get up and announce to their platoon that they are straight? I am asking you directly since you were in the military. What branch did you serve in?
I posted this in another thread, or maybe it was earlier in this thread, but I was in both the Army and Air Guards (MI).

Why do you think that, simply because gays will no longer have to lie/hide, that they will run around shouting from the rooftops that they're gay?

Straight guys "announce" that they're straight everytime they tell a story about getting laid, mention their girlfriends/wives, bring their GF/wife to a family day, dining out, put a picture in their locker/on their desks, etc. Gays have been unable to do any of those things without the threat of being tossed out on their asses.

Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Storm View Post
So where is this "lots of evidence"?
Google it. I don't do other people's homework...

Old 12-21-2010, 06:18 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,233,257 times
This is a disaster for the military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies