Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2022, 08:07 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,960,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I think that the frustration towards the Black community is because there are few leaders of the Black community who ascribe any agency to Blacks to take responsibility and better themselves. Instead, so much of what we hear in the news is talk of 'structural racism', etc, etc. Its like so many Black leaders are saying "Nothing in our community is our fault, everything is the fault of 'The Man' because the deck is stacked against us because we're Black and everyone is racist against us.".

Here's an example of something that frustrates me:

So she's whining that more resources [ie: money] needs to be devoted to helping kids in the ghetto deal with the trauma of gun violence. YET she knows peers who illegally carry guns.. Has she told school officials or the police about the children illegally carrying guns? The article certainly doesnt indicate that. Yet, that seems to be an easier fix to mitigate gun violence targeting youths in the ghetto: utilize existing resources (ie - laws and the police) instead of demanding new resources. But the police are big racist meanies so we cant possibly cooperate with them to get guns out of kids hands. The priorities are backwards - these organizations are demanding resources to treat the symptoms of the problem, because theyre not willing to take responsibility to help address one of the root causes of the problem.

Unfortunately, white liberals have their own 'racism of low expectations' towards Blacks and they exploit this for their own political gain by infantilizing the Black community. They talk out of their butts in regards to Black education.

Liberals, and Black leaders, say that schools are still overwhelmingly segregated in this country. I will concede that is true. Schools are no longer de jure segregated, but they do still largely remain de facto segregated. However, now its "racist" to discipline Black students for behaving inappropriately in school. God forbid that they be suspended for breaking the rules, that only advances the interests of the 'Prison-Industrial Complex' and the 'School to Prison Pipeline'. This is the sort of foolish thinking that has overtaken Pittsburgh Public Schools...
yet....
let's back up a second.
If you cant suspend Black students for behaving like animals, and you allow them to stay in school and turn it into a zoo and disrupt the education of their classmates... whose education are you disrupting? If you ascribe to the previously-mentioned belief that American schools are still segregated, then you're allowing the Black rule-breakers to disrupt the education of the other (predominantly Black) kids who follow the rules in their segregated school!

And is it any wonder we're seeing an increase in crime after we've done these sort of ridiculous school reforms? You have Black teenagers and you teach them in schools for years that they cant be disciplined and forced to face the consequences of their misbehavior, because that would be racist. Their skin color becomes a license to do whatever they want - and anybody who criticizes them is racist. Is it any surprise that they then break the law and get arrested as adults? And then the same idiots who supported the school discipline policy wring their hands and wonder why so many young black man are getting arrested and incarcerated - but theyre blind to their own contribution to the problem.

This sort of crap even trickles down to the Elementary School level. My son wrapped up 6th grade in June. He said that when they were playing football or soccer at recess, that if they didnt pass the ball every play to one of the Black kids that those kids would accuse my (white) son and the other white kids of not passing them the ball simply because they are Black.

Reading about Black history and the effects of economic discrimination (ie - Black veterans denied the GI Bill, the effects of redlining, how incredibly difficult it was for Blacks to get approved for mortgage loans - thus making it very difficult for Blacks to engage in intergenerational transfer of wealth) was an eye-opening experience.. and I do have sympathy for the impact that those policies still have on the Black community in this country. I do think that some sort of national conversation may be warranted on how to try to right some of those historical wrongs, so that our country will be a better place to live for all of us.

But what frustrates me is Black leaders aren't exactly advancing those types of conversations, nor are they really doing much to help their community help themselves. I feel that too many Black people simply want things handed to them, without having to do anything to help themselves. Instead its too easy for the Black community to blame everyone else for some of their problems.

Im tired of hearing about slavery and how all white people benefited from the history of slavery in this country. One of my ancestors served in the Union Army, in a Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry regiment, and was wounded in action and subsequently disabled for life while fighting to end slavery in this country. I'm sick of his memory being shat on by Black racists who demonize him for the color of his skin.

I'm tired of being blamed as a white NRA member for somehow contributing to the plague of gun violence in the Black community. My guns live under my couch or in my nightstand and theyve never hurt anyone. But some posters want to take my guns away, because the girl mentioned in the article knows a bunch of hoodrats at Woodland Hills who illegally carry guns and bust a cap on each other.. and somehow thats my fault, even though she's the one who knows who has illegal guns and she's not telling the police.

I do think that things can be done to help the Black community, while not giving folks 'free passes' simply for being Black..
For example.. I think that it could be just to expand eligibility for VA mortgage loans to include Black descendants of Black veterans who were denied their veterans benefits because of their race. That would be advantageous - favorable interest rates, no mortgage insurance, and no down-payments. That could help right a historic wrong and help Black families pass along intergenerational wealth via home ownership.
I think that it could also be just to expand school choice voucher programs to the parents of kids in these segregated, failing schools. No parent trapped by poverty should be forced to send their kid to be surrounded by idiots and animals in failing schools like Woodland Hills and PPS. Give them the choice to send them to a charter school of their choice that offers a SAFE learning environment and that tosses out the bad kids with yesterday's garbage instead of coddling them and allowing them to ruin the education of kids who are following the rules and simply hope to get ahead in life.

I'm sure I've offended a lot of people - but at least I kept it real, explained my perspective, and offered some solutions.
Who are these black leaders that you speak of? Who do you consider a black leader? You have no clue and your responses show. Black leaders actually lead by example. Black leaders encourage and support those in need. Black leaders are rarely showcased in the national media. There are black leaders large and small coast to coast. You are ignorant of that fact. The black middle class continues to grow. Educational attainment continues to increase and we are less likely to live in the hood. It is called upward mobility. You are confusing the black community with the left behinds.

You are irritated by a 17 year old child that tragically lost her older sister to gun violence. What about empathy? That is a child and someone’s baby.

I chose to stay in the city and send my children to PPS. I did not have to purchase a 380K home in the suburbs. My children received a quality education while in a racially and economically diverse environment. The magnet programs are highly successful and can compete with any school in the metro. This decision allowed my children to attend school with other like minded families. This ensured that my children were surrounded other middle class black students as well as staff. I have no regrets

Do you think I care about what you are tired of? I am tired of white denial and the whitewashing of history. My family has served in every war since WWI. We served and were not free. We served and was not afforded the benefit for our families. I tired to dammit.

So your son is a complainer as well? I’ve never known a black child that would complain during playtime. Never. You made that sh!+ up.

Old 08-20-2022, 08:10 AM

987 posts, read 280,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
who are these black leaders that you speak of? Who do you consider a black leader? You have no clue and your responses show. Black leaders actually lead by example. Black leaders encourage and support those in need. Black leaders are rarely showcased in the national media. There are black leaders large and small coast to coast. You are ignorant of that fact. The black middle class continues to grow. Educational attainment continues to increase and we are less likely to live in the hood. It is called upward mobility. You are confusing the black community with the left behinds.

You are irritated by a 17 year old child that tragically lost her older sister to gun violence. What about empathy? That is a child and someone’s baby.

I chose to stay in the city and send my children to pps. I did not have to purchase a 380k home in the suburbs. My children received a quality education while in a racially and economically diverse environment. The magnet programs are highly successful and can compete with any school in the metro. This decision allowed my children to attend school with other like minded families. This ensured that my children were surrounded other middle class black students as well as staff. I have no regrets

do you think i care about what you are tired of? I am tired of white denial and the whitewashing of history. My family has served in every war since wwi. We served and were not free. We served and was not afforded the benefit for our families. I tired to dammit.

So your son is a complainer as well? I’ve never known a black child that would complain during playtime. Never. You made that sh!+ up.

^^^^^^^^^

bingo!

Also, get ready for the "But you're different...you're the exception" BS

Old 08-20-2022, 08:13 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,736 times
Quote:

Do you think I care about what you are tired of? I am tired of white denial and the whitewashing of history. My family has served in every war since WWI. We served and were not free. We served and was not afforded the benefit for our families. I tired to dammit.
Black people make up 12% of the U.S. population. How much of the study of a nation's history is supposed to focus on 1/8 of its people?

Old 08-20-2022, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I don't really get this argument, either. How much would buying a house in Homewood, or Larimer, or Braddock in the 50s or 60s really have done for someone long-term? Not much, as far as I can tell. A lot of the houses in those areas aren't even there anymore.
That’s because the hoods coast to coast were redlined. The redline communities were not considered for loans period. Disinvestment caused by the Federal Government forced black families out and into Penn Hills and Monroeville. We had to buy outside of the ride line…

Old 08-20-2022, 08:22 AM

Quote:
That’s because the hoods coast to coast were redlined. The redline communities were not considered for loans period. Disinvestment caused by the Federal Government forced black families out and into Penn Hills and Monroeville. We had to buy outside of the ride line…
Well yeah, that's what I said: was lending someone money to buy a house in Larimer in the 60s a smart long-term proposition? Not at all. That's why banks didn't want to do it. A lot of people who owned property in such neighborhoods ended up losing their shirts. Look up "the Bronx is burning."

Old 08-20-2022, 08:34 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,902,171 times
Quote:
I don't really get this argument, either. How much would buying a house in Homewood, or Larimer, or Braddock in the 50s or 60s really have done for someone long-term? Not much, as far as I can tell. A lot of the houses in those areas aren't even there anymore.
Would you rather pay a mortgage for 20-30 years, or pay rent for 60-70 years?

Quote:
I have empathy for the loss her family suffered. I have derision for her choice to enable the same problem that she claims to want to solve.

Quote:
Do you think I care about what you are tired of? I am tired of white denial and the whitewashing of history.
Have you ever looked in the mirror to realize your own racism?

Quote:
My family has served in every war since WWI. We served and were not free. We served and was not afforded the benefit for our families. I tired to dammit.
I addressed this very topic in my previous post.

Quote:
Reading about Black history and the effects of economic discrimination (ie - Black veterans denied the GI Bill, the effects of redlining, how incredibly difficult it was for Blacks to get approved for mortgage loans - thus making it very difficult for Blacks to engage in intergenerational transfer of wealth) was an eye-opening experience.. and I do have sympathy for the impact that those policies still have on the Black community in this country. I do think that some sort of national conversation may be warranted on how to try to right some of those historical wrongs, so that our country will be a better place to live for all of us.

For example.. I think that it could be just to expand eligibility for VA mortgage loans to include Black descendants of Black veterans who were denied their veterans benefits because of their race. That would be advantageous - favorable interest rates, no mortgage insurance, and no down-payments. That could help right a historic wrong and help Black families pass along intergenerational wealth via home ownership.

Quote:
What the hell is wrong with you?

Old 08-20-2022, 08:40 AM

Quote:

I have empathy for the loss her family suffered. I have derision for her choice to enable the same problem that she claims to want to solve.

Have you ever looked in the mirror to realize your own racism?

I addressed this very topic in my previous post.

What the hell is wrong with you?

I was thinking the same thing about you and that BS you posted. What in the hell is wrong with you?

Old 08-20-2022, 08:46 AM

Quote:

That doesn't mean that buying a house is going to get you anywhere. My family is from Lawrenceville. If gentrification hadn't happened, what would those houses be worth? My grandparents' houses would either have been sold to a slumlord for like 20k, or they would have just been let go.

Old 08-20-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
That doesn't mean that buying a house is going to get you anywhere. My family is from Lawrenceville. If gentrification hadn't happened, what would those houses be worth? My grandparents' houses would either have been sold to a slumlord for like 20k, or they would have just been let go.
Generational wealth is tied to homeownership. This is especially true post WWII.

Old 08-20-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Generational wealth is tied to homeownership. This is especially true post WWII.
Even with gentrification, my parents didn't get any money from their parents' houses. Like I said, without hitting the gentrification lottery, what would those houses have been worth? 30 grand? Half of a yearly middle-class salary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh